Storm Surge

Marc

Agreed with all of those, but X:No Way Out has paid it's loyalty to Thorpe Park better than any other ride in their arsenal. It's naff now but it's survived how many revamps/re-themes/"Okay, so it's not that thrilling"s? Storm Surge is like the ugly bint who turns up late and pretends it's part of something it has no right to.

I do think SS has outstayed it's not so friendly/wanted welcome. It does need to go, and I really would have prefered investment in themeing, buildings and general touch ups instead of this pile of rubbish

I'm going cinema's on Wednesday to see 'The Artist', as I'll keep my camera ready and video it if it comes on. (hopefully I won't be charged for recording the movie. XD)

Please don't use a camera inside a Cinema Screen, it is movie piracy and you will risk being prosecuted and a minimum fine of £10,000. Really worth it over a Swarm advert? >__>

I honestly don't think that it would cost a huge amount to throw some theming at SS. By walking under it, it could have some interesting interactivity. The scaffolding needs to be hidden somehow, and by adding some triggered water effects (somekind of hill-billy giant 'Mouse Trap' game, or this Brilliant 80's board game.. IMAGINE!) it could look really quirky and fun (I'm thinking Ripsaw Falls quirky here). Obviously, Merlin aren't going to spend on something as un-important as SS now, but if I were given a lump of cash for it, I'd easily be able to turn it around and without having to re-apint the ugly thing either! ;)

post-3105-0-59644100-1330280837_thumb.jp

I'd say Storm Surge isn't a bad addition by the park. Granted, it's not a good ride, however, it is much better - in the eyes of guests, at the very least - than 7 baby rides which were barely used. The ride serves a purpose of being something which most guests can ride, and isn't too thrilling, so can be something of a filler. Unlike a fair few rides at the park, there is some free guest interaction, which is nothing but a good thing really. I don't disagree that it's hideous, an eye sore and basically has flaws in every department, but the addition of Storm Surge is working for the park, and compared to what was there beforehand, is almost a success. Now let's just it is a short-term, 'temporary' addition that will kick the bucket in a few years time and replaced by something actually worth saying 'Look at what we've got in our park'...

The difference with Krake is that the theming being added at the moment, was originally meant to be included for opening. However, I believe there were several H&S issues and delays, meaning that they had not the time to add it for 2011. Obviously, Heide were not willing to close Krake to add the theming, so it has been left till 2012.;)

What annoys me is I have heard alot of people say that adding a new ride was not actually necessary if it is not going to be a good once...and yet I bet if they did not install a new ride for 2011, alot of you guys still would have complained and criticized the park for a lack of investment.Lets put it this way. The Octopus Garden's ride never had many customers and were rarely in use. Storm Surge does!People may not love SS and I cant say I do either, but it is a fun family ride. Its only real problem for me is the multi coloured madness the ride is painted in and the horrible steel structure. Sure it may not be the best ride at the park, but it does give the Thorpe Park more variety in its attractions and it does not look like it is going to be there for too long anyway.

My birthday is April 20th which is shared with Adolf Hitler.

And is same as my sister. Wow, she'll be impressed to share with AstroDan!What would the park gain out of adding theming? My god, dunno. Ask a park which invests money into upkeep of its attractions or add theming to their existing stuff.Oh wait, it'll improve guests days out, it'll improve KPI scores, it improves the overall appearance of the park. Better appearances improve peoples days. People enjoying their days more tend to come back and also tell people/bring new people along. All because of these amazingly good looking (and maybe fun to ride - doesn't have to be fun, ala half of legoland) attractions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Noticed that Storm Surge is down and happened to come across an incident with it when reading a trip report on Pleasure Beach Experience just now. It seems that one of the conveyor belts has come off at the top off the ride whilst it was operating.

Posted Image

Picture from http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2395.