Storm Surge

Marc

You're right Ricky, SS dripping on people is nothing compared to the way it is dull as hell because the spinners don't work, the boats fill with water and soak your shoes, the reliability is shocking for such a simple ride, most of the water effects are off, it looks god awful from every angle and the loading and lift hill are painfully slow. It still shouldn't leak so much though, wasting what must be litres of water a day.

It really has no redeeming features in my eyes, it simply shouldn't exist at Thorpe.

Basically, if it was themed and fully animated with water effects, spinning water wheels, and a quirkiness of something like Ripsaw Falls, it would be quite fun and interactive. What we got is none of those things, and I think the reason it gets hated so much (apart from looking god awful), is that it's a big ugly reminder of how much Merlin Magic Making give a ****e.

Does Loggers ever need its boats tipping over to be emptied every 5 minutes though?

It's amusing that I never saw Hansa or Asterix suffer that issue from their equivalents, or indeed any of the problems Storm Surge suffers from (such as leaks, as both others involve crossing under and you don't get dropped on)...

If the answer is "Well you shouldn't walk under it then" though, then clearly the ride was poorly thought out to a massive degree...

Also, shout out to the metal frame at the top of the hill remaining there for no reason anymore...

Whilst I'm not defending Storm Surge - Loggers Leap boats fill with water and soak your feet just as much, if not worse than Storm Surge does! 

No way! There will often be some water in the bottom, but never to the extent it enters your shoes by the top! You seat with your feet forward on rests so it's easy to elevate them and the boats empty on the inclines so it never gets to be a problem.

Incomparable! 

Whilst I'm not defending Storm Surge in any way, as I am fully aware of the problem, I hosted the ride for two years, and operated for a year also (you guys have no idea the hassle we got from the water in the boats problem) The fact that Storm Surge will be entering its FIFTH  season in 2015, and you guys are STILL moaning about. 

Yes, we have established there is an unnecessary amount of water in the boats, but this is out of any one on this websites control. If the Resort where that adamant to resolve the situation it would of been done so before the ride reopened in 2012.   

Whilst I'm not defending Storm Surge in any way, as I am fully aware of the problem, I hosted the ride for two years, and operated for a year also (you guys have no idea the hassle we got from the water in the boats problem) The fact that Storm Surge will be entering its FIFTH  season in 2015, and you guys are STILL moaning about. 

Yes, we have established there is an unnecessary amount of water in the boats, but this is out of any one on this websites control. If the Resort where that adamant to resolve the situation it would of been done so before the ride reopened in 2012.   

I have Storm Surge operator envy now Ricky, you bad boy.

No the thing is, it's not five years later we are STILL moaning about Storm Surge, it's more passing comment that five years later, they haven't found a way to improve Storm Surge's drainage so to speak. I doubt anyone cares that much about Storm Surge beyond it sticking into the sky like a sore thumb. 

Rip Ride Rockit is 5 years old so I guess I can't criticise that. Primeval Whirl is 12 years old so I guess I can't criticise that.

Air Tunnel is 13 years old next year, guess pretty much we can't complain about anything anymore since we can't do anything but sigh softly everytime we see a flaw in a park...

Though Storm Surge will only be in it's 4th year of operation next year, not that it affects any of the issues discussed since it's opening... One would think that a park would want to keep maintenance of a ride, irregardless of stature within the rest of the park, to the highest of standards...

I guess youve never been in a flooded loggers boat!! 

I was on one in this pic...

881960_10151309670101568_1943116600_o.jp

I can't imagine why the thing decided not to float at the bottom of the drop with us 4 in there! But as has been said, it is possible to lift your feet and avoid the worst of it in a log in but not on SS. And the boat drains quickly so it's never really a problem.

(you guys have no idea the hassle we got from the water in the boats problem) The fact that Storm Surge will be entering its FIFTH  season in 2015, and you guys are STILL moaning about. 

So Thorpe are well aware there is a pretty serious problem with the ride and has been for FIVE seasons, and those guys are STILL doing nothing about it.

So Thorpe are well aware there is a pretty serious problem with the ride and has been for FIVE seasons, and those guys are STILL doing nothing about it.

Maybe.... there is nothing they can do about it...? I'm not an engineer nor am I working for White Water, so I cannot say for sure, but I can assure you, everyone at the resort is fully aware of the problem, and it has been looked into plenty of times, to see what alternatives can be done.

Unfortunately, due to the fact the boats are made out of a material that tears easily, holes can and will appear over time, and as these holes can appear quickly in multiple boats, the only option is to deal with it by keeping the boats on, otherwise closing the rides for days on end.

Rafts are sent for repairs constantly, but even though they are always going back and forth for repairs, the boats are becoming damaged quickly. To the point at the end of the season we had 5 boats in operation due to damage to rafts. 

Whilst I understand everyone's frustration, there is some things we cannot control, and water on a water ride, isn't something we can control. Yes, Host's are able to empty the excess water out of the boats, but, this happens so quickly that we would need to tip them every time they complete the circuit. Doing so, would also double the queue time.

What would you rather, ultimately, get wet on a water ride, or wait at least double what the queue would normally be? As has been said above, whilst I shouldn't condone the actions due to safety, you are able to lift your feet above the water. 

And going back to your post Pluk, is the problem REALLY that serious? It's hardly a health and safety hazard, it's not uncommon to have water in a boat on a water ride. I couldn't count the amount of times I find myself SAT in water on Depth Charge. 

Other parks that suffer from boats that flood (say Blackpool for Valhalla) have vacuums for the excess water...

Doubt that'd take too much time in comparison to completely stopping the loading procedure...

And then the question still is why Storm Surge seems to be the only one that suffers with such an issue? Seems more like the whole thing is knackered and suffering from Thorpe's lack of maintenance budget...

Other parks that suffer from boats that flood (say Blackpool for Valhalla) have vacuums for the excess water...

Doubt that'd take too much time in comparison to completely stopping the loading procedure...

And then the question still is why Storm Surge seems to be the only one that suffers with such an issue? Seems more like the whole thing is knackered and suffering from Thorpe's lack of maintenance budget...

Out of Intrest do the others get you as wet as Storm Surge does?

I remember back when it opened apart from the guns you wouldn't get wet atall which obviously meant the boats didn't get water in them, now most of the time you'll hey a big splash and wet at the bottom obviously filling the boat more!