Storm Surge

Marc

Mutiny Bay was a medium investment for Alton Towers, so I would argue that it's not directly comparable with this (clearly, Battle Galleons is far, far better than Storm Surge in terms of sympathy to surrounding area and visual appearance).However, regardless of whether it's "small/medium/large" - every single new development that Merlin put in should look excellent. Simply put - you wouldn't get Chessington or Alton Towers adding an attraction that looks so god awful as Storm Surge these days regardless of the cost of the attraction. Towers management wouldn't let it happen for starters and I just wouldn't expect it of Chessington either.I suppose Thorpe's target audience aren't so bothered, really. At least it's a laugh to ride.;)

May I stress that we the enthusiast world are quite insignificant. Our expectations and views are so high that the park(s) simply don't have the budget to please us. If we got everything we wanted then the park would never make a profit. Yes this is a low budget investment, and as far as I'm aware the park never actually paid for the ride but only the transport to get the ride into Britain.So far I can only see the park have had positive feedback from Storm Surge and I gave them positive feedback as I did feel the ride was very fun to ride. Yes the ride maybe an eyesore but that can be looked past (by me) when I have an enjoyable ride shoved under my nose. May I also stress that the shrubbery that has been planted was planted, what, in the last couple of weeks therefore I needs time to settle into the new environment and then start growing. I'm sure it will be the same as Saw when at first it looked like twigs were in the ground but then a few months down the line the outerparts of the queueline were filled with shrubbery so much so that in most places you couldnt see the floor.

Whilst I agree with the majority of your points Rob, I have such low expectations for effects/ visual aspects to attractions at Thorpe, I find myself not really caring. We have an £18M attraction to look forward to next year, all my attention will be on that and hopefully Storm Surge will be gone by the time a certain 2015 coaster arrives.

Some of these posts are awesome. 'It looks '****' LMAO, yes it does.The thing I'm finding more insulting is the tarmac thats been ditched in onto the floor, where you can still see the paths of what went before it. Seriously, it looks like Oxford Street. What a mess.

May I stress that we the enthusiast world are quite insignificant. Our expectations and views are so high that the park(s) simply don't have the budget to please us. If we got everything we wanted then the park would never make a profit. Yes this is a low budget investment, and as far as I'm aware the park never actually paid for the ride but only the transport to get the ride into Britain.So far I can only see the park have had positive feedback from Storm Surge and I gave them positive feedback as I did feel the ride was very fun to ride. Yes the ride maybe an eyesore but that can be looked past (by me) when I have an enjoyable ride shoved under my nose. May I also stress that the shrubbery that has been planted was planted, what, in the last couple of weeks therefore I needs time to settle into the new environment and then start growing. I'm sure it will be the same as Saw when at first it looked like twigs were in the ground but then a few months down the line the outerparts of the queueline were filled with shrubbery so much so that in most places you couldnt see the floor.

Firstly Ricky, I would argue the enthusiast world is rather more significant than you give us justice for. Our expectations are not unreasonably high, we expect the park to live up to it's reputation, which for me, is to produce a ride that meets the standards of the other attractions in both Thorpe Park and those at other Merlin's entertainments attractions. I wouldn't produce a massive post like the one I did if I were just here to slate Thorpe, as with many of the other members on this forum I am passionate about Thorpe Park, and feel they have let both their reputation and the image that I perceive of Thorpe Park down. Whilst this is a criticism of the attraction, it is also constructive as lessons can be learnt. I would also like to know the depth of your research with regard to the comment 'So far I can only see the park have had positive feedback from Storm Surge'. You only have to read this forum and the comments of people who went with friends to see this is anything but the case. I also like the way that our opinion is insignificant and the flaws myself and a lot of others highlight are also insignificant.... because you can look past them.My arguement is simple. A world class park should produce world class rides. Not necessarily expensive; world class to me does not mean a huge, themed B&M, it means a well themed ride, with pride of place and the ability to take you into it's theme. I come back to a carousel in Disney; it's most certainly a budget attraction, but it is pulled off to such a degree that it adds to the image of the park.

Trees or no trees, Storm Surge looks an eyesore, although granted the themeing added since AP Day helps it a little. I rode it yesterday and thought it was alright - short and sedate pretty much sums it up. The boat I was in didn't spin much, so perhaps I got unlucky there, but given the choice between Storm Surge and Rumba Rapids, I'd probably rather ride Rumba!Having said that, it's nice to see an investment by Thorpe in a family-oriented attraction, and of course, compared to AT and CwoA, at least we've got something substantially new this year. Roll on 2012 though, eh?As ever, my full review with photos/video is over at Total Thorpe Park.

Whilst I agree, the ride isnt the most pleasing on the eye, its a fun ride, people come of the ride with huge smiles on there faces, want to run around and do it again, its a new experence the younger visitors of the park can also enjoy. Regardless of how it looks, people still enjoy it for what it is which imo, is the main thing.And why does everyone think Tidal Waves height restriction is now 1.4? I'm sure it would say somthing at the entrance if this was the case..

Whilst I agree, the ride isnt the most pleasing on the eye, its a fun ride, people come of the ride with huge smiles on there faces, want to run around and do it again, its a new experence the younger visitors of the park can also enjoy. Regardless of how it looks, people still enjoy it for what it is which imo, is the main thing.And why does everyone think Tidal Waves height restriction is now 1.4? I'm sure it would say somthing at the entrance if this was the case..

The Thorpe Park iPhone App has got it has 1.4m. I told them on Twitter a few days ago that its wrong, and they said they'll correct it so we will see!

Not even going to bother with this argument. I'm sure if I went up to anyone that wasn't an enthusiast and asked them 'Do you think coaster/theme park enthusiasts have high standards of a ride or park they would almost certainly say yes.

You know Ricky, fan power is actually quite large. Otherwise, you know, the park wouldn't have bothered to contact TPM and make it an official site, they wouldn't have run "behind the loops" a few years back, they wouldn't invite the ECC and RCCGB over for Stealth room tours, the parks wouldn't run Th13teen events, Nemesis X events, managers wouldn't ask for our viewpoints on new attractions, you wouldn't have John Wardley's name thrown around all the time to engage enthusiast opinion or get them interested or Coasterforce walking round Fury's first drop, Vampire's break run.Yes it's all good PR for the parks but they do it because fans, however small our numbers are, do play a part in theme parks. Anyway, Storm Surge. I still think it's awful. When you start the day with proper rides like Tomb Blaster, Dragon Falls and Rattlesnake and then ride Storm Surge, you really do see how crap it is.

I'm yet to actually ride / see the ride in person. However from the pics I have seen from various websites and the parks facebook page I think the ride looks better than I was first expecting.But... The location as expected is strange, it blocks the view of X:/ No Way Out and the colours make it worse. The theming is OK but more effect could of been made.I am looking forward to riding it though many people have said its fun and enjoyable I just pray it's not a permanent attraction.Overall I'm glad THORPE PARK have another family attraction & I look forward to riding it :P

I went on storm surge at thorpe yesterday As soon as gates opened we went there first , got on the ride with 4 of my friends and was quite a funny ride wierd things happen to the floor :P And after the about 3 minutes to get up the hill we were quite suprised that the ride wasn't too bad bit short but quite good , and come off dry as we went on which was dissapointing for a water ride .After the few tellings of that we heard to the person on control to the guy who was helping people on boats . He was told of for not placing right people in the right boats I.e two in the ones nearest hill 4 at end . I think this was wrong and to give the guy a break :P We went back n later in the day and the operater had changed over and the guy was doing the boats looked alot happy and more smiley . The only thing going on the second time the boats were quite deflated which I was suprised and the second boat we went in the water was almost 4" deep in the bottom of the boat ! The water cannons seamed to be broken too the handle was snapped off on one and the others were off ;) My overall all comment is that I think that needs a little bit of TLC but looking over all of that want a bad ride :P

It's sad to hear the few water effects are already missing from the ride and worse, paint flaking off. Sadly, I fear, this is why Thorpe LOVE the old, tattered, damaged look as they never have to deal with it again, once it's installed. Any reports still, on the audio upkeep?