Panic & Puking

Han30

Question

Hi guys, I suffer with panic attacks and have done on and off for the past 10 years. recently I had a setback and take diazepam when I go out. Anyway, I love theme parks but am a bit of a wuss when it comes to the bigger rides. I'm not great on spinny rides (vomited after dragons fury once!), love water rides and some rollercoasters. Biggest coaster I have been on is Space Mountain at DLP. I have a big fear of puking mid-ride - dont mind being sick after the ride but the thought of barfing on other people fills me with fear! Though saying that I was fine on Rameses Revenge! Also the anxiety before riding is very similar to a panic attack which probably puts me off. Anyway, I'm working towards conquering my panic and really want to go to Thorpe some time this year (not been since 2002!). Rides that I really want to try are Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Saw plus others. Just need a bit of feedback as to whether I am likely to boff up! As for the anxiety, well I will have to deal with that!Cheers!

16 answers to this question

Well, if you get on the front of Colossus, it is a very smooth ride and shouldn't cause too much stomach churning. Nemesis Inferno is a little more rough, but I think that will be fine, maybe you should see if anyone knows if it is smoother at the front, I am not sure. As for SAW-the ride, I haven't been on it, but I hear it is very rough and chucks you about alot, so maybe avoid that one. Alot of the flat rides are rough and lots of spinning, vortex spins and swings so that might be a bad one to go on. Samurai throws you about, and sometimes it can get really rough. (Sometimes your seat will spin more.) There is definately a couple of rides you would probably be fine on, Colossus for one, although quite a few of the rides are tummy turners.Leon

Nemesis Inferno is a little more rough,

Really? ^_^If I'm being honest Han30, going by what you're saying, it doesn't sound like you're going to enjoy Thorpe Park very much, especially as most of the rides are designed to intimidate and impose fear in their audience. Although if you like water rides I guess it's possibly the best park for you to go to.I would have thought Chessington would be more your thing, where most of the attractions are designed to be fun and want to appeal to everyone, which in theory would help with your anxiety and you may end up enjoying your day more? Just a thought for you. :P

Really?

Colossus, Smoother than Inferno?I think you may have got your ride names muddled up?

Well that's what I found when I rode them both...everyone probably had a different ride though ^_^I agree that chessingtons would be better for you, but if you really want to go to thorpe park then you'll have to be careful with the rides...:/Leon

I do love Chessington - such a great atmosphere and I am ok on all the rides (though not if Fury is spinning too much!) - Not been on Buccaneer because I would probably be very ill! Rameses didnt make me feel sick - I just wasnt keen on the tightness of the restraints!!I havent been to Thorpe since 2002 - the flat rides that I wouldnt go near would be Rush, Vortex, Eclipse, Quantum, Samurai and probably others. I would ride flying fish(!), Tidal Wave, loggers, rumba, storm surge, tea cups and would LOVE to try Colossus/nemesis. To be honest, I enjoy the whole atmosphere of a theme park and am not someone that has to be going on rides all the time. I know thorpe has changed a lot since I last went. Would just like to get over my anxiety a bit - only ever been on 2 inverted coasters - space mountain (DLP) and Klondike(?) at Hayling Island.Thanks for the replies guys!

Klondike at Hayling Island.

I rode this a couple of weeks back when I was on holiday, honestly the roughest coaster I have ever been on! It runs 1 train and the restraints all have to be opened one by one because they don't unlock automatically anymore! It used to be located at Drayton Manor, no wonder they got rid of it. :P

I have a massive phobia of sick too, and the thought of someone else puking on rides fills me with dread. I always used to be worried about going on Rush, Slammer ect, but once you get on them, they're not bad at all. I am never going on X no way out again though, the building smells of sick :/

Yes Klondike is very very rough - didnt make me feel sick but I had a banging headache afterwards and thought I was going to lose an arm at one point! My sisters boyfriend went on with me and came off with huge bruises!XNWO - never again - how I didnt boff on that ride is a miracle! Thankfully I have never been sick ON a ride but after riding Fury in the rain one day, I came off and ran to a nearby grassy bit and boffed in a hedge - yum!