X

Garyy

I went on X today, a few of the speakers in the queue line have had the grills removed and speaker cones all messed up, I was wondering why there wasn't any music playing in the queue line so I looked up and there the problem was... And inside the ride the music needs to be a bit louder and have a bit more bass to it. But overall they did a good job, the lights are great!.

Part of the idea of having loud music is that it can be heard outside the building :lol:

Joking aside, this could be the reason although I doubt it because they don't seem to hesitate in killing the theme park atmosphere in other areas of the park by booming out chart music/the noise.

I agree with you that sometimes Thorpe seemingly has little regard for atmosphere when it comes to music but I think it'd be more unpleasant hearing Colossus music then having the X club music playing quietly but still noticeable whilst queueing up outside Colossus' station.

Took the kids on there today (4 times in total) and I have to say since my first ride earlier in the year things have improved a lot.

1 Negative was lack of smoke

On the positive side the queue has improved:

• with the blue X now flashing works
  • We have music down most of the corridor
  • More trains makes the queue go much faster than the two earlier in the year
  • Removal of the brake runs does indeed make it better
  • Turning up the music makes you feel like your going into a nightclub, its great as you hear the music in the queue and in the station, but now as you start to go up the lift hill the music gets louder and louder
  • The lights seem to have a different sequence as it is not as bright in there

This is never going to keep the thrill seekers happy, but for me Thorpe seem to have turned this one around (excuse the pun), so for families this does work, the kids loved it "It is like going to a disco" hence 4 rides today and I quote "X is now my favourite ride, it was The Flying Fish" well the kids can't be wrong. :)

..the lighting was better. This is the big disappointment for me, and needlessly so. The place is sooo light, not a flashing in your face look at the lights kind of light, but just generally light, illuminated. You can clearly look around the place, see the floor, the ceiling and the sprawling track. Sitting at the front no change of direction was a surprise, it is like riding an outdoor coaster at dusk. There were a few moments when the ambient lighting dropped to almost nothing leaving a few pulsating lights and lasers which looked pretty damn good, but then the general light level rose again and it all seemed a bit pointless.

When it comes to the lighting less is more, just one or two effects at a time would look a whole lot better than throwing it all on at once and losing any effect it could have to the general glow. The central bright lights need to pulse so even if the whole place does light up it is brief. Smoke also helps, and there was some, but I'm guessing filling a space that size properly is not really an option. It could do with some more either way.

Sorry for quoting myself like a douchebag, but I am so right! We were lucky enough the other day to have a couple of goes with the central lighting rig off and only the surrounding lasers operating (must have just been very lucky with the sequence.... or something ;)) and oh my it is good. Feels like a bigger, faster ride like that, it is mildly (but not sickeningly) disorientating as you can not see the track or where you are going to go except for brief flashes as the lighting that is there bounces of various bits of wall and track. It is hard to describe how good it makes it for what we know to such an average physical ride.

Seriously Thorpe, sort it. It needs to be like this.

Rode X today for the first time without the block breaks.

Definitely much better than with them! I still think I'd have preferred it if they could have kept it backwards, and added the lights, sounds and such, but hey ho. Either way, I still enjoy it, and it's most certainly added to the life span of the ride.

Rode X yesterday for the first time since it's "rebirth" - have to say, with the funds available I am quite impressed, and has certainly breathed a bit of life into what was an odd ride... thumbs up from me. Particularly like the light effects in the queue line tunnels, and the ride itself certainly suits the new "family orientated" Thorpe.

Went on X twice yesterday at two different times and had a brilliant laser show + a very good soundtrack pumping through the whole ride, great fun.

Was closed later in the day, might have something to do with the effects not working, who knows.

did u go around with just a the lasers? It looks so much better like that :P

Went on X twice yesterday at two different times and had a brilliant laser show + a very good soundtrack pumping through the whole ride, great fun.

Was closed later in the day, might have something to do with the effects not working, who knows.

After a lot of rides on it on the weekend, I have come to a conclusion...

The light effects are good...

The ride is still crap... The block brakes (or lack of) really go to so how short the layout is, and it doesn't particularly impress...

Polishing a turd suits X very well as a description (always has done to be fair), and it's actually one of the worst uses of internal space for an indoor coaster (not helped by that you can see half of the building now)...

In the future, I think Thorpe would be better served removing X, Slammer (especially if it keeps conking out), Storm Surge and the Arena, allowing for a massive space in the middle of the park to be used for, just about anything really... Though I would imagine that is a long way away...

Haters gonna hate :P I can't see X going anywhere anytime soon really, it gives younger generations more of a chance to ride a 'big coaster' which isn't flying fish! I'm sure you wouldn't be moaning about how short X is if you only got one lap on The Fish ;)

Thing is, X has hidden it's length for years because of the block brakes, allowing it to appear more 'value for queueing' because of the elongated ride time...

Unfortunately, that doesn't exist anymore, so I'm sure people who wait an hour for it (and kids don't half love a long queue) will still be as disappointed as those before the change, albeit for different reasons...

They could do better, even if they just said to Vekoma, can we have a new layout please that uses the building space better using modern technologies... As I said, you only notice how bad it is for overall space usage now that you can see the building...

Compare it to EuroSat (which is the best direct comparison) in terms of length and usage of space, and the difference is staggering...

Rode it yesterday. I was actually disappointed which kinda annoyed me, because I really wanted to enjoy it. I felt it was better backwards, but the ride LOOKS a lot better than it used to. I do like the lights in both the queue and the ride, but the ride is a bit, well, bad now.

If it hadnt been for Freakshow 4D, Hellgate or The Passing, the ride would still have it's old queueline :angry:

The old queue line just wasn't needed. It just added a load more walking before the attraction really - would you really want to walk through the entire Hellgate / Passing route as well as the current queue line, after queueing outside the pyramid, just to go on the ride?

From what I remember of it, it was just more corridors that were exactly the same, and the spinning tunnel thrown in for a bit of randomness.

• 2 weeks later...

I think X is a welcome improvement. Sure it's not too intense and the queueline in busy periods leaves a lot to be desired but I think the ride itself is great, with some nice headchopper moments and close supports to the sides. The music and lights are great. Just don't go in expecting a rip-roaring B&M and you'll be fine :)