X

Garyy

• 3 weeks later...

Went on X for the first time since the refurbishment. Came off quite disappointed, the improvements are very slight and my biggest problem with the ride (how quiet the music is) barely seems to be fixed, the music is a bit louder but nowhere near what it should be. The change of lights makes is a bit better than before and the new queue line stuff is nice.

Still doesn't beat the first time I rode X in 2013 and the music was so loud you could hear it from outside!

8 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

Still doesn't beat the first time I rode X in 2013 and the music was so loud you could hear it from outside!

I guess that's the issue though; it's also not right if the nose from X is heavily leaking onto other attractions, spoiling their presentation. Bit of a balancing act for them I suppose.

That's the issue with developing things in to something they weren't designed to be.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:42 PM, pluk said:

I guess that's the issue though; it's also not right if the nose from X is heavily leaking onto other attractions, spoiling their presentation. Bit of a balancing act for them I suppose.

That's the issue with developing things in to something they weren't designed to be.

Sounds like the most likely answer! It's a shame really, really limits the theme of the ride.

What confuses me still is a number of people on the forums said it was very loud in the pyramid so I'm wondering if it has been turned down since because loud was not a word I'd use to describe it! :o

2 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

Sounds like the most likely answer! It's a shame really, really limits the theme of the ride.

What confuses me still is a number of people on the forums said it was very loud in the pyramid so I'm wondering if it has been turned down since because loud was not a word I'd use to describe it! :o

It was very loud when I rode it the day it re-opened. I think it's been turned down since but would still say it's louder than before it closed for a few weeks.

• 2 months later...

So I've seen a couple of rumours on Facebook and on other forums that X is saying its goodbyes and being closed forever at the end of the season.  Obviously this isn't the first time that X has been rumoured to be gone forever - rumours flirted around in 2014 and 2015 that it was being taken down / closed, and there were times in the 2000s it was rumoured to go. 

I hope it doesn't go as there's a distinct lack of family coasters at Thorpe, and there's arguably not enough time for a like-for-like replacement to be built in time for next year.  And these rumours do seem to have appeared rather suddenly, so it does feel weird, but who knows.  A retheme / retrofit (VR, spinning cars, adding laser guns...whatever) could be possible I spose.

If it does go though, it does open up a lovely large space with X, Slammer and even Bush BBQ for redevelopment. 

8 minutes ago, Benin said:

It would make sense for it to go... You could literally do ANYTHING more worthwhile with the space (and maybe an accidental bulldozer incident could take Storm Surge with it)...

Sorry Benin did you want to include DBGTROTD with the accidental bulldozing 

The rumours of X and Slammer closing (along with Loggers) were back at the end of the 2015 season.  The thought process was that after the Smiler crash and loss of profit, Thorpe were going to close multiple rides to save on costs.  Obviously only Loggers closed, and that doesn't necessarily seem to be solely down to cost cutting. 

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

Surely X can't be going? :(

I'd much rather see a new ride make use of existing space rather than yet more rides cut from the lineup.  X is a good coaster and is perfect for the family audience it is intended for.

Nah its crap but I wouldn't want to see it go for that reason. There's a worrying trend across the Merlin parks in the last few years of cutting rides with no replacements which is understandable in itself if a ride is at the end of its life etc etc, but the price keeps going up making a visit less and less worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

Surely X can't be going? :(

I'd much rather see a new ride make use of existing space rather than yet more rides cut from the lineup.  X is a good coaster and is perfect for the family audience it is intended for.

What existing space is there at Thorpe that doesn't require the removal of something? And that includes Loggers and Slammer areas...

55 minutes ago, Benin said:

What existing space is there at Thorpe that doesn't require the removal of something? And that includes Loggers and Slammer areas...

Land behind Swarm I guess would be the most obvious, the area next to it too where sanctum is is surprisingly big too actually - not sure if they could build on it though.

The trouble with the island behind Swarm is that'll require a lot more infrastructure investment, since it is literally blank.  And as the space is very large, it'd be much more suited to a large scale investment (both in terms of size and cost) than just some filler ride.

The area where Sanctum is wouldn't really be suitable for anything long term, as that area is used for access a lot.  I'm surprised they were able to put Sanctum there at all in honesty! 

The only real blank area Thorpe have at the moment is where Fungle Safari was.  It was just used as a service road for Ghost Train construction so is now just empty space.  But then again, monks still haunt that area so it's probably a no go... ;)

There's plenty of places at Thorpe that they could use to build new rides with only a few minor removals/relocations of flats, before they start pulling down popular family coasters.

Furthermore there is always the possibility of weaving rides around pathways/existing rides which could reduce the need for removing other rides.

27 minutes ago, Coaster said:

There's plenty of places at Thorpe that they could use to build new rides with only a few minor removals/relocations of flats, before they start pulling down popular family coasters.

Furthermore there is always the possibility of weaving rides around pathways/existing rides which could reduce the need for removing other rides.

Genuinely curious what locations you think are feasible, as aside from behind Swarm and next to I'm a Celeb, I honestly can't think of any other places?

9 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Genuinely curious what locations you think are feasible, as aside from behind Swarm and next to I'm a Celeb, I honestly can't think of any other places?

I'd say there is plenty of space in Old Town, even if Loggers was to reopen.  I could see a coaster interacting with the pathways, maybe even Colossus's first drop and over the last two turns of Loggers being fantastic.

37292133771_64f73450ac_b.jpg

In addition, the Blair Witch area could potentially lend itself to a small, compact attraction?

For a park which just these last few months has brought in flat rides to Old Town which appeals to the younger ones to compensate for the loss of Loggers Leap, Canada Creek Railway and the Octopus Garden in the last decade, it would be very strange to reduce the lineup again for this market which is why I find it's speculated removal hard to believe.

X might be a bit old and tatty these days, but it still appeals to familes and kids as small as 1m tall which still draws large queues. Further improvements made to it instead of removing it altogether would make more sense at the moment.

Until a good family ride comes along to replace either X, Slammer or Loggers Leap, seeing more closures for next year with undoubtedly another entry price rise is the last thing that should be considered.

Couldn't care either way myself if it stays or goes.

I will echo what others are saying though, if it leaves and a replacement is in place that's fine, if however we are going to be another ride down while "redevelopment" takes place then that's just idiotic.

I know Thorpe are dumb but I really do just think this is a baseless rumour, I can't get my head round the thought process.

• 4 months later...
On 02/11/2017 at 12:21 AM, StevenVig said:

This is why I hate closed season, idiotic fanboys making up nonsense rumours just to pass the time, it's not going anywhere. 

lol...

So, for those who have missed it, during the Annual Pass day this Sunday, the marque will be transformed into 'eXpo:\2018', which will be a celebration of X:\No Way Out / X.  Details are a bit scarce at the moment, but we can expect a few talks (confirmed talks from John Burton, Thorpe's creative based at MMM, who will also talk a bit about The Walking Dead - The ride and from our good friend Phill of Memories of Thorpe Park), free pop badges and probably some old concept art, plans, the appearance of one of the old No Way Out cars and a few other surprises...

29177556_1874640749233916_77595953292378

No doubt we at TPM will provide you with all the juicy details...