Chessington Trip Reports

• 2 weeks later...

Really wanted to visit this event all year, but lack of interest from friends resulted in just two of us going. Still a really good day, but park operations were beyond poor. Really surprised at chessington. We arrived at 11 after a long 75 minute journey from Woking. Got to the park to see queues of 50 for DF and 40 for Kobra, not a good start. Along with this, advertised at entrance that Vampire and Rameses would be 'down all day'. Really dissapointing, two of the major rides that make up a older visitors day. Nonetheless we got on the Black Bucanner which was fun and also the Runaway train before queueing to go in Hocus Pocus - Bewitched. This was a great attraction for families, as it was last year. The theming outside was really great, the park had gone to alot of effort, with witch actors and a smoke machine enternating the kids outside the hall. One really postitive note was the halloween theming all around the park, it was splendid. Everywhere you looked there was a pumpkin or a figure or something, it really created a nice, special atmosphere at the park. Lighting was also good.However, by this time, DF was 90, Kobra 75 and Tomb was 100. So we did Tuk Tuk, Monkey and the lorikeets, whilst waiting for the pizza line to die down. Fury had just evaced its queueline for the second time as we entered wild asia, but as we left, it was testing, result. We were the 20th people in the line, yet still queued 15/20 minutes as express pass were queuing out of the entrance and exit passes by the photo booth! Pizza was good, did falls and peeking, got some good pictures. Did Toadies for nostalgic purposes and the fact that it was our last ever ride on it Rameses tested and opened at about 5 which was good. Did a couple more rides, included rameses and Kobra in the dark, both of which were excellent, despite Kobra being taimed with the new wheels. To summarise...+ve-Staff were simply amazing, brilliant. Interaction, brilliant actors throughout the park, not just in the hocus pocus and always asking 'how is your day' and saying 'sorry about vampire and dragons fury'. Which just makes things a bit more enjoyable and special-Halloween theming and shows etc. Really good effort that all the kids I saw enjoyed. -ve-Operations - oversell of express pass/exit passes (I know this can't be helped, but still annoying) and vampire being closed all day. Overall a really good day, will be returning next year RC: Black Buccaneer 3Dragon Falls 2Rameses 2Kobra 1Fury 1Tomb 1Lorikeet 1Monkey Swinger 1Tuk Tuk 1Rattlesnake 1 Peeking 1Runaway 1 Toadies 1Hocus Pocus 1Trick or Treat show 1A few pictures... (camera quality sorry guys)Posted Image - Trick or Treat ShowPosted Image - Rameses all pretty at night ;)Posted Image BB looking spooky at duskPosted Image - lots of smoke coming from vampire tunnel, shame it would of been awesome to ride. Posted Image - Lovely day, great view from peeking. Posted Image - Fury peaked at 120 minutes ;)Posted Image Dragon falls area looking great. Posted Image Artistic hey? :PPosted Image - New wheels = no airtime on hill :cry Posted Image - Lorikeets were lively! Posted ImagePosted Image - DF drop Posted Image - HPHB looking excellent. Posted Image - Witches entertaining the kids. Posted ImagePosted Image - fantastic themingPosted Image - last picture showing the massive pumpkin above the chessington shop! Hope you enjoyed reading.

Chessington - erm.. today.This trip report may be slightly controversial but this really irritated me today (as some may have seen on facebook). It's no secret that we live in a country with a wet climate. Our summer lasts for two weeks in June and then its rain and overcast skies. If you are to visit Chessington on any rainy day you are pretty much screwed. The park luckily have Tomb Blaster, Bubbleworks, Hocus Pocus Hall and several sheltered areas such as the Zoo to keep you out of the wet. Unfortunately it has so many attractions that are effected by rain.Skyway trains can't get up the hill by SeastormPeeking becomes a battering storm of rain and wind VS pod.Rattlesnake and Dragons Fury go down to a maximum of two people per car, essentially making Fury have a 250 pph and Rattlesnake 175 pph throughput.Truckers is lucky to even start.For such a fantastic theme park it is an utter shambles that something hasn't been done to sort out this problem. Five of their 24 attractions affected by weather and what happens if a major ride like Vampire or Tomb Blaster goes down. Well yesterday happens with Fury having a two hour queue because when you throw reduced capacity, express pass, 10,000 gate figures, disabled riders and exit passes at a ride with such shockingly bad numbers.. its not a good thing.I don't want to make out I had a bad day, my day was great and I got on everything but to queue an hour for Fury when it should have been 15 minutes maximum is shocking. Guests around me in the queueline were naturally and frustrated but the operator of the ride didn't feel the need to make any PA announcements about why the ride was going around half empty.

Chessington - erm.. today.This trip report may be slightly controversial but this really irritated me today (as some may have seen on facebook). It's no secret that we live in a country with a wet climate. Our summer lasts for two weeks in June and then its rain and overcast skies. If you are to visit Chessington on any rainy day you are pretty much screwed. The park luckily have Tomb Blaster, Bubbleworks, Hocus Pocus Hall and several sheltered areas such as the Zoo to keep you out of the wet. Unfortunately it has so many attractions that are effected by rain.Skyway trains can't get up the hill by SeastormPeeking becomes a battering storm of rain and wind VS pod.Rattlesnake and Dragons Fury go down to a maximum of two people per car, essentially making Fury have a 250 pph and Rattlesnake 175 pph throughput.Truckers is lucky to even start.For such a fantastic theme park it is an utter shambles that something hasn't been done to sort out this problem. Five of their 24 attractions affected by weather and what happens if a major ride like Vampire or Tomb Blaster goes down. Well yesterday happens with Fury having a two hour queue because when you throw reduced capacity, express pass, 10,000 gate figures, disabled riders and exit passes at a ride with such shockingly bad numbers.. its not a good thing.I don't want to make out I had a bad day, my day was great and I got on everything but to queue an hour for Fury when it should have been 15 minutes maximum is shocking. Guests around me in the queueline were naturally and frustrated but the operator of the ride didn't feel the need to make any PA announcements about why the ride was going around half empty.

Did you not enjoy the rest of your day?

Went to CWoA on the Sat and the Sun.Sat - it was literally empty. Vampire was mainly on 10 mins all day.Sun - Vampire was on around 40 mins but didn't mind as done it a lot on the Sat.Sat was obviously the better day. Got on everything at least once.Theming is amazing and staff were very bubbly and happy.An amazing last weekend visit to CWoA!!

After talking to Mark last night, Its quite interesting to put into perspective, When fury runs in the rain at reduced capacity its pretty much the equivalent of Inferno running 1 train with just its front 3 rows open... :)

That's because:A - Mauer Sohne suck...B - B&Ms are awesome...C - Chessie appear to have some silly ruling about capacity in the rain...Thankyou for that fact, I can now sleep easy knowing that Fury has a lower capacity than Inferno when it rains... (And when it's sunny/hail/etc)...

That's because:A - Mauer Sohne suck...B - B&Ms are awesome...C - Chessie appear to have some silly ruling about capacity in the rain...Thankyou for that fact, I can now sleep easy knowing that Fury has a lower capacity than Inferno when it rains... (And when it's sunny/hail/etc)...

It was more linked with the one train debate a few weeks ago, just an interesting comparison thats all ;p

Or.. its the equivalent of Saw running 1 and a half cars.

Just got back in from, what seemed to be a damp start but ended lovely. Unfortunately getting my lowest ride count ever at the park, Just 8, plus Noodle Noodle running out of sweet and sour chicken :'( but it was a fun day! Quite dissapointed about Black Forest Pass and Hocus Pocus Hall Bewitched to be honest. Mainly couldnt hear a word any of the 3 people said in the pass and HPH just seemed to be lacking something! No one else has seemed to have brought it up but at around 2.45-ish Hocus Pocus Hall was evacuated and the staf were stopping people walking infront of the main building. All the cast were outside as well as some important looking people! A friend who works there said that the main Control was evacuated at around this time so it may have something to do with this? Also when we then queued up at around 5 some police men where coming out the exit, very strange.But it was still a nice day :) So horray for that!

No one else has seemed to have brought it up but at around 2.45-ish Hocus Pocus Hall was evacuated and the staf were stopping people walking infront of the main building. All the cast were outside as well as some important looking people! A friend who works there said that the main Control was evacuated at around this time so it may have something to do with this? Also when we then queued up at around 5 some police men where coming out the exit, very strange.

Control would be evacuated as well since they live on top of HPH...As to why, who knows, fire alarm, panic alarm... Could be anything...

End of Season Trip

A little bit of spontaneity doesn't hurt anyone. It was late yesterday evening that I found out I'd be going to Chessingtpn for the last time this year. I've visited a good handful of times this year and have enjoyed all of them on some level, this one though, was particularly special.I don't usually get excited about visiting Chessington anymore, I look forward to visiting, yes, but to say I get that same excitement that I get when I visit Alton Towers, for example, would be a lie. I arrive at the park with my friend James and we agree to make our way over to Transylvania. Unlike Alton and Thorpe, Chessington actually still operate their Halloween attractions for their last day of season, I assume this is because it seems a bit silly to just have one day of park operation with all the event infrastructure still evident.There are some small, yet effective touches throughout the whole park that help link the theme of this event together. The more prominent presence of the witches this year meant that guests knew the brief backstory of the event, which I feel gives it some depth, and helps it stand out from some of the other Merlin parks. A lot of the props and sets have been recycled from previous years, which makes sense, though I liked the additional bits and bobs such as improved lighting, improved Trick or Treat Doors and the best of them all.... the Wild Asia Voo-Doo Dolls... how creepy were they?! :(Bubbleworks- oh dear. Probably the lowlight of the day in terms of ride experiences. This is for me, a sub standard attraction that seriously needs all of the sets, effects, lighting rig, sound equipment ect; completely gutted and started over afresh (as have been mentioned a few times by members). The Fountain Finale in particular, has been absolutely butchered within an inch of its life now, with most of it in complete darkness (one red and one green light are left illuminated). The fact that there is a Prof. Burp poster on show is in my view, a further insult to the fantastic ride that it once was.I thoroughly enjoyed the event attractions that were on offer, Trick or Treat doors looked impressive, the characters were pretty neat in it too. Black Forest Haunt, which we did in the day time, was a delight. Keeping the target audience in mind, I found it actually a cute experience and children seemed to think it was pretty cool judging by their reactions as they exited. Stand out characters were the grave digger and of course, the Vampire. :(Gorgeous meal is Pizza Pasta... I can't really speak highly enough of the two pizza buffet restaurants at Alton and Chessie. The place was packed, whilst other outlets across park were left unloved (:().I do think very highly of Chessington, The park needs to keep going as they are, ie; recover from their period of no investment from their parent company. I think many fans of the park will know that they do have big ideas, ambitions and plans for the park to ensure that it goes places within the Theme Park Industry. Of course, they can't do everything at once, and I would ask that we're patient and understanding whilst they prioritise and organise their investment plan. It's clear things are bubbling behind the scenes, the evidence is across the whole park through the little additions that have been added throughout the year. At the moment it shows, very bluntly, which areas have been neglected and need some new life injected into them, still, I have faith in the park and look forward to see what they're planning next.I have so much to say, I want to type all my thoughts out at once; so much so, that it's actually difficult to think of what to say next and how to construct it all. A few bullet point statements, then:
  • I prefer Griffin's to Kobra
  • The park love smoke machines
  • The constant loop of the Halloween track, parkwide, became annoying
  • ...... Although saying that, I loved how it was a variation of Towers Suite/ Call to Adventure theme
  • I can't wait for some of the attractions to receive an audio upgrade, some of the staff can be so tacky and "fairgroundy" over the PA....
  • Guest interaction is indeed awesome, if you know the correct way to do it and that it also doesn't clash with the attraction's theme
  • Vampire in the dark is epic.
Indeed, night-time falls and we enter the Vampire queueline as spooky silhouettes of gravestones, figures and ride vehicles soar through the night sky. I will admit, I was pretty scared walking though that queueline, through the thick smoke that filled the air, a beautiful, haunting palette of blues and purples draws you in, the atmosphere is actually stunning. There was something about that ride on Vampire, that was just so epic. The theatrical queue was sublime, only to then be topped by the station. With no natural light managing to seep through; it was beautiful, really powerful. Music blasting, a remarkably good ride operator with a silky, deep and dare I say it, almost seductive voice set the tone perfectly. I was impressed. The tunnel was the icing on the cake with those lighting effects- very surreal and disorientating. So there we have it, great trip, re-sparking my passion for the park that never went away, but has just made it stronger, positive and poised for the future. This park has some fantastic times ahead, you mark my words. :(Chessington: onwards and upwards!

[*]I prefer Griffin's to Kobra

<3The park at Halloween was very very good as you've said, the lighting and what-not was excellent throughout the entire park...Bubbles had NO strobes in the finale, the quicker that thing dies the better, then we can get something original, fresh and bang up to date...Vamp closed early on Halloween night :( So I didn't get to queue in the dark but jesus it was running well... I'm so glad the park now has the view of knowing that it IS their icon... Just use that old entrance (which had been opened on the day slightly) and put a facade on the building and general improvements (like why not have gothic fencing in the queue?) and it can remain an icon for many many years...The future is certainly bright for Chessie, they need the support certainly from fans who may not understand about why certain things are being done instead of what may not be that's wanted first in order to improve the overall day out at the park, which is currently a more important thing for them to do...One day, maybe Runaway's rocks will get focused on, what with the boiler having smoke (then again, the whole park did), as well as new lights and sounds... Maybe... Just maybe...One thing I did notice on Halloween was the lack of happy staff... Maybe because I saw Keith way too much :( But based on past trips, the only talkative staff were the PicSolve people... A shame, maybe too many had "end-of-season" blues...2010 has certainly been a MASSIVE mark in Chessie's calender... As Mikey said it's probably mainly due to the year's of neglect, but having spoken to a few of the managers this year they all seem to have big ideas for all aspects of the park, and with focuses on the park's state can only be a good start for this decade...Honestly, I'm looking forward to 2012 for the 25th, I can dream they have something that will really place Chessie back on the map for that... Bring it on...P.S. Please Chessie, fix the Containment Gate leading into Pirates Cove... It's actually stupid...

About Mikey's post on his Chessington trip, what a great report! :( And yes, some of Chessington WoA's rides do need speaker/P.A upgrades, The environmental speakers in Fury's Q line sound rubbish whenthe Dragon 'roars', and Vampire would be even more Great if it had a Proper Bose system like in Nemesis Inferno's station; Vampire should have some Bass Cannons that ACTUALLY WORK, with some normal Bose speakers too! The theme would sound amazing then! :(

• 2 months later...

Oh, I went to chessie yesterday, and how amazed I was to see carpark half full and it having a healthy load of visitors!The zoo looks really good nowadays, doesn't look rundown anymore, and the animals are great to look at. Went to safari for the first time as somehow I managed to miss it out on all previous trips - its good, but they really do need to get ideas to ensure the animals are relatively near the guests - or are in view of us. The field is too big, and the place they live in is a bit meh not being able to see in - I saw 2 and a half zebra and a gazelle or something with them.It's good to see chessie busy and healthy - and for the pizza & pasta being open - we actually had to wait for a seat. Yup, it was busy.Only thing they could really do better is the fencing off to beyond the park. Why try and cover it with the poor bamboo over **** high fencing which has gaps around it - have the usual body height fencing wrapped in some decent "shh, area is hibernating" - relative to alton towers banners on their fencing during half term.

• 1 month later...

First one of the season to report on Chessie as well as Towers? Why thankyou...Ok, it was only a zoo day, but I was down for the weekend with an empty Sunday ahead so me and peep (John) scurried over to Chessie to see how things were going on...Firstly, John missed his train from Waterloo so we ended up waiting for the 10:00 one from Clapham, so arrived around 10:30, and headed straight into Trail of the Kings...Was a very good day for the animals, as they were all very active, which makes a big change from the normal season, hopefully that'll keep happening, but there's the addition of a new radio in the gorilla area which sounds like it was stolen from Lego's Laser Raiders... Plus a new video in the Tiger area filmed by staff which is... Meh... Staff cannot act at theme parks... Duel, NWO and now this tell us that for certain...Sea-Lions have a new platform... Assuming it's for the staff during the shows...Creepy Caves still seems so out of place... Half of it is still shut but it does look like it's had some work done over the closed season... Not sure what to say about it...Buccaneer looks VERY shiny and new... I can't wait to see it up close in a few weeks...No Top Trumps in the shop yet :unsure: Remedy this for opening please...Market Square toilets haven't changed at all... Dunno what the rest of the park is meant to be doing with the loos, but... I hope they have actually done something...The new Sales building looks cool, shame Truckers is going to suffer immensely from it and the addition of Fast-track... Sigh...Children's Zoo is... still meh... Even with Afro-Chickens, Ferrets, Gangser Ducks and CHARLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... They have Red Squirrels apparently now, but couldn't see them...Runaway's Fast-track looks like it'll be essentially where it was originally, joining up to the boiler... Don't mind that tbh cos it can half handle that...Few new birds here and there in the Monkey and Bird Garden... It'd be nice if they got some non-reflective glass or removed the bars in the future... Cos it's really annoying for photos...Wanyama has FENNEC FOXES OF JOY! They are awesome and sit right next door to the hut... Aside from them, surprised the Gazelle are in the old Agouti pen... Thought they'd be in the actual Savannah... But oh wells...Sea-Life followed... Which now makes even less sense with the random Aztec tunnel stuff... Maybe if the rest of it was themed but hey... Something to add on the ever growing list of things to do...After a bit of faff, went to Zafari Bar and Grill... OMG it's epic! Especially the 2 courses for £10 deal, I really hope they have that during the main season... Absolutely gorgeous food and extremely filling... Looks really nice as well...After lunch, did another round of the zoo which took us to closing, when we went back to the hotel bar and had a natter about various Chessie related things that will hopefully come into fruition soon...Fun day though, and made me very excited for opening... Bring on the 26th!EDIT - Also, if they're changing Goblin, they need to get a shift on... Though I doubt much will change...