Chessington Trip Reports

Okey-pokey, some quick thoughts on my visit yesterday. Conclusion: I had a great time. Enjoyed it far more than I enjoyed Fright Nights, the whole park looked great, staff were friendly and funny, despite working long hours. I found Thorpe's staff around the same times, aggravated, and unfriendly. So it just goes to show you can work long hours, and still put on a smile for guests. I loved the lighting around the park, and the smoke machines everywhere, especially around Transilvania at night, looked stunning. Loads of smoke, and a bright light at the end of the path, making everyone have zombie-esque silhouette, brilliant! Vampire also looked great lit up red, as did fury look great with its flames. Vampires tunnel was pumped FULL of smoke, and had some new strobe/chasing lighting put in. Hocus Pocus had bright lights shining stuff onto it, and the surrounding trees, also looked great. 'Trick or Treat' stand looked popular, with a big crowd, got some people laughing. Music, was changed for pretty much every major ride. Just looked great, in general. That said though, I wish they didn't have the tacky pumpkin streamers thing across some building. Also the roaming people/actors on Segway was a nice touch.

• 5 months later...

Here's a report from the day:Was not going to go at first, weather looked horrible and wind was howling. I was really looking forward to it though, so after phoning up (and waiting ages to speak to someone) to find out if all rides were open, we left.Getting there we headed straight For Hocus Pocus Hall. The rain had started to come down, and since it was the closest we had for shelter thought we'd get it out the way. It's still as great as the last few seasons I've gone, and the mirror maze is very baffling.After visiting Guest Services for a pass, we headed for Toomb Blaster. First thing I noticed was how quiet it was, but it was because the queue was almost empty, the ride was working though.My brother won, I always seem to enjoy the shooting idea more than actually hitting the targets. Exiting that, we headed for Dragons fury (talking about Bubbleworks on the way). We went round twice, asked the staff to spin it the other way so we could get out, but failing that we just rode again (though the second time was really vicious). Next we rode Peaking Heights, again very quiet line so just got straight on. It was pretty cold up there but I still enjoyed hearing the splashes coming from Dragon falls. I wanted to complain about Dragons fury and Bubbleworks, so headed back to Guest services for a chat with Richard, soon to be joined by nicky (who I found out used to work for Thorpe!)Cut a long story short, we aranged to see the Bubbleworks manager at Guest Services in an hour.On to Vampire, not sure why but I couldn't recognize any of the station theming. Ride was slightly ttamer than usual, and I didon't bang my head on the back which made it more enjoyable!On the way out, I met up with another guest called Florance who offered to help me get on Bubbleworks. Seemed a nice idea at the time, so accepted her offer and off we went.Luckily for us they were stopping the boats to let people on and off, and Franchesca was an amazing assistant!. Florance was a good helper too, but you can't really beat the ride staff.Back to guest services to speak with Rob,, the Bubbleworks manager. We discussed my problems getting on and off the ride, and for the next 20 minits Rob explained the polocies of the ride (very interesting!). After that, I filled out a guest comment form with nicky, again, had a lot of good ideas!On to Saffari Skyway. I was actually looking forward to hearing the new audio (our car didon't play the audio!) so was a bit of a letdown. Oh well, at least we got a relaxing view of the animals and a rest.It started hailing after that, so sheltered in the entrance of Skyway while it cleared. Saw some young kids coming off the ride running and screaming (awww little kids are so cuuute!). Also saw someone who said getting wet on Skyway was scary, but we just laughed.After waiting a while we went to Mexicana. Rode Rattlesnake (the person behind us kept laughing) for some unknown reason, then went to Runaway Train. We walked around the zoo for a while (and tried to make the parot talk) also debated going through the monkey walk through but thought better of it.Then it was time to go, on the way out we met with Anne ( very happy) and seemed to enjoy her work. She asked how the day went and I told her it went just fine, suggested I should come back more often and then walked the other way.All in all it was a great day. Vampire broke down for a while, but they soon got that fixed. Loved the staff, Harry at Fury, Nicky and Richard at Guest services, Franchesca at Bubbleworks, and Rob and Anne. Good staff means a good day, that's what I say anyway

Sounds like you had a good day =)What was your Fury complaint about?

Hey, somehow I had a feeling that you'd reply to this thread (working at Chessington)My complaint About fury was that when it stops it always ends up on the wrong side, and to get to my wheelchair on the other side you have to walk across the car (not very uh... accessible?). They said they wern't allowed to spin in the station which is understandable, but they could have spun it round outside

Ah okay, I think I'm with you.Basically it would be impossible to work out which way you are going to come into the station until it's in the station. What I'm basically saying here is that it would be unfair on the other guests waiting for the ride if the ride was essentially E-stopped to turn your car around. As the staff gave you another ride, I'm sure that's more then enough compensation for not being able to get out from Fury. :)

Ah okay, I think I'm with you.Basically it would be impossible to work out which way you are going to come into the station until it's in the station. What I'm basically saying here is that it would be unfair on the other guests waiting for the ride if the ride was essentially E-stopped to turn your car around. As the staff gave you another ride, I'm sure that's more then enough compensation for not being able to get out from Fury. :)

It sure was,it's interesting what diffrent settings they have (second time round felt like another ride entirely!)

Hey, somehow I had a feeling that you'd reply to this thread (working at Chessington)My complaint About fury was that when it stops it always ends up on the wrong side, and to get to my wheelchair on the other side you have to walk across the car (not very uh... accessible?). They said they wern't allowed to spin in the station which is understandable, but they could have spun it round outside

To spin the ride outside the station the rides staff would have to evacuate all guests, call engineers , this is just not possible. In the guide for guests with disabilities I believe it does outline which rides you may have difficulties on. The rides staff at bubble works should not of allowed you onto the ride and it should not have been stopped. Unfortunately Vampire does not have any wheelchair access, this is stated in the handbook for guests who are non ambient like yourself. Alot of complaints you have made are valid, but they are certainly things which are outlined before your visit in the day. You have to realize that a lot of efforts have been made to ensure that non ambient guests such as yourself can make the most from their day and it is just not practically possible to for fill 100% of your needs for ride access, the topics of which you brought up with Nicci and Rob will be looked into but please remember that you are told that Vampire and Bubbleworks are not advertised as rides of which you will be able to go on, this is due to the reasons of which you have given such as the fact that there was no wheelchair access for vampire. As the Bubbleworks manager would have told you today, the ride can not be stopped to allow guests onto the ride as if you unable to board yourself I would think this would cause some problems in the event of an evacuation needing to be carried out.Complaints aside, it sounds like you had a great day at Chessington and I would definitely like to go there soon to see all of the new improvements!

To spin the ride outside the station the rides staff would have to evacuate all guests, call engineers , this is just not possible. In the guide for guests with disabilities I believe it does outline which rides you may have difficulties on. The rides staff at bubble works should not of allowed you onto the ride and it should not have been stopped. Unfortunately Vampire does not have any wheelchair access, this is stated in the handbook for guests who are non ambient like yourself. Alot of complaints you have made are valid, but they are certainly things which are outlined before your visit in the day. You have to realize that a lot of efforts have been made to ensure that non ambient guests such as yourself can make the most from their day and it is just not practically possible to for fill 100% of your needs for ride access, the topics of which you brought up with Nicci and Rob will be looked into but please remember that you are told that Vampire and Bubbleworks are not advertised as rides of which you will be able to go on, this is due to the reasons of which you have given such as the fact that there was no wheelchair access for vampire. As the Bubbleworks manager would have told you today, the ride can not be stopped to allow guests onto the ride as if you unable to board yourself I would think this would cause some problems in the event of an evacuation needing to be carried out.Complaints aside, it sounds like you had a great day at Chessington and I would definitely like to go there soon to see all of the new improvements!

Out of interest, where can I read this " disabled guide". It would probably come in handy.Yes, nicky took down my details (not sure why) but I guess if that's what she wants.Why would they have to evacuate all guests from Fury?. To me, that seems pretty pointless, surely they can just well, what's the word, reverse out the station and try again?

Fury's drives only go one way as if they were able to be reversed that would be a bit.. dangerous. There is only one part of the ride where staff are able to manually unlock the cars and turn them round and unfortunately the cars only stop there during an alignment gate tripment.

Also you can pick up a guide for guests with disabilities at Guest Services. If you are unsure still then ask the staff on the platforms of the ride you want to go on. Having worked at Chessington last year I will happily help along with other members on here with any questions you may have. I know that with Dragon Falls and Bubbleworks operators are not allowed to stop the station conveyor to get guests on as this can cause the rides to shut down.

Also you can pick up a guide for guests with disabilities at Guest Services. If you are unsure still then ask the staff on the platforms of the ride you want to go on. Having worked at Chessington last year I will happily help along with other members on here with any questions you may have. I know that with Dragon Falls and Bubbleworks operators are not allowed to stop the station conveyor to get guests on as this can cause the rides to shut down.

I did find that out actually a few years ago. They agreed to stop Dragon falls (it was our school trip) so I got on and it wouldn't restart. The staff were like, sorry but can you get off?. I'm like no, I'll stand up and you will make it move. It took ages for them to convince me that the ride wouldn't move. Eventually trusted them and left. Don't think I'd go on that again even if it did stop

To be honest, you should always listen to the member of staff regardless. They know what they're doing and aren't just out to get you, therefore if they ask you to do something it's probably in your best interests to follow their instructions.The same goes for if staff send a guest away from a ride for whatever reason, be it height or any other restriction. I don't think it's fair that staff should get grief for doing their job. It spoils their day, it can spoil the guests day and it doesn't exactly encourage staff to interact with people.It's a fact of life that not everyone can do everything. If you're too short, have too large a waistline or cannot ride due to disability then arguing will not solve achieve anything.

Decided to have a break from thorpe and went to Chessington for a change. The park was busy but managed o get on all the rides we wanted.Dragon's Fury 2Vampire 2Rattlesnake 2Seastorm 1Tomb Blaster 1Extended Runaway Train, due to not stopping in the right place, so got 4 laps :blink: Galleon 1Dragon Falls 1Billy Whizzer's thingie 1.