Which UK Theme Park is the best for Halloween events?

TomW

Which UK Theme Park is the best for Halloween events?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which UK Theme Park is the best for Halloween events?

• Thorpe Park
    • Chessington
    • Alton Towers
    • Pleasure Beach, Blackpool
    • Other

Hey, so I LOVE the Halloween event at Thorpe Park, I have been to theirs now for a couple of years but have never tried out any other parks Halloween events. Which UK Theme Park is the best for Halloween events? I think Thorpe Parks event is amazing and I love how they smoke the park out in the evening and the horror mazes, but can another park out do them? Love to hear your thoughts and opinions :lol:Many thanks, TomW Posted Image

Blackpool has a Halloween event? First I've heard of it tbh...I think it's all dependant on what you want from a Halloween event, as each park actually does a fair attempt at their own version of it...Chessie's has the best overall Halloween theming... They really do attempt to transform the park in comparison to Thorpe and Towers, which do barely anything to actually theme the rides... In fact, the only things that are really themed to Halloween are their mazes... But on the other hand, Chessie's attractions for Halloween aren't really amazing... Hocus Pocus Hall last year was it's usual Halloween self (which is decent), but Black Forest Haunt was dire... I hear they are interested in returning the shipping container maze this year after Vamp's birthday... Which means another attraction which is a good thing...Towers I've been the last two years and as mentioned earlier, there's minimal extra theming added... There was some more last year but not a lot... Thirteen was vastly improved with the night-time actors, but Duel Live last year was appaulling compared to the awesome 2009 version...Now because mazes aren't my thing, I don't do them, so I discount them from this... But, Nemesis in the dark is most definitely worth everything...Thorpe again is very similar to Towers, lots of mazes, very busy, minimal extra theming (last time I went there was... NONE)... So to me it's about on the same scale as Towers' event... And hence only worth it for the rides in the dark... Or at least the rides at Thorpe I like...Though in the end, last time I went to Fright Nights I had my worst ever trip to Thorpe, so that's kinda against it...So in the end, just for sheer effort at actually trying to transform the park (and not just by adding Midnight Syndicate everywhere), the winner for me, is Chessie...

Like Benin said, it depends on what you want from the park.I love the Scare Mazes so Thorpe is definitely a contender here. They offer the best value for money in that respect, having four on park mazes all included in your entrance fee. The park looks its best at night with all the different lighting and there tends to be a good atmosphere around park, unless it's a super busy day during half term. :lol:Alton... well I haven't been to the previous two Scarefests but last year's looked amazing, I have to say. They also have a good mixture of other attractions for Halloween including Skelvin's Adventure (Duel Live), Thirteen Live (although I doubt it'll be returning after the faff they had last year), halloween shows and walk about characters (the ones at the hotels are actually quite good as well) and I have to say, Alton really raised the quality of the event last year, from reports, photos and reviews I've seen. However, Alton possibly provides the worst value for money, having only 1 on-park maze. There are the ever circulating rumours that the park are looking at bringing another on-park maze this year, along with Hex: Live.Chessington- I had a well good time at Chessie last year. It was the last day of the season and technically the Hocus Pocus event was over but they kept it running for the guests who visited. Wils Asia extra themeing was great, as were rides in the dark. The Vampire especially, was just truly epic in the night time and really set the mood.Even though it's the worst value for money, I would probably still vote for Alton for having the best Halloween event. It's the mixture of the mazes, entertainment and other unique attractions, (I forgot to mention the scare rooms) that easily set the event above the rest. Plus Alton is at its best at this time of year. The atmosphere of the grounds and the landscape itself just really lifts the event to something very special.

Thirteen Live NOT returning? Who has said this and where do I find them so they can be strangled?Honestly, it worked incredibly well, unless it's some crap about having to pay the actors too much... They improved the queue-line no question... I'd rather Thirteen have actors than Hex... Unless they actually attempt to do a story with Hex (what I heard from last time they did it, actors running around does no constitute a well done attraction)...And Skelvin (compared to 2009 Duel Live) was also dire... Towers took one step forward and two back last year I felt in the case of on park stuff...

In my opinion I would say themeing wise it has to be Alton just cos most of the rides don't need anything added to make them halloweeny where as Thorpe ha the best horror mazes but this being because of their target audience having said this the business on park most of the time let's it down. Chessington is good but they need something extra going back a few years the scooby doo event was good and they do add theming to rides all be it not much but it helps alot. In general I think it completely depends on what you want and on a yearly basis it changes with Thorpe rumouring a new attraction this year for Halloween it might just take it into the lead over Alton where as last year Alton was in front

Never been to Alton Towers Scarefest!I voted chessie because although I go in horror mazes, they really don't give me a sense of thrill or anything? I just try and walk through Saw alive without falling over tbh ;)Chessie has the best atmosphere and the attempt to theme is great! Agree with Benin about black forest haunt being awful last year, but purely on a 2009 basis, Chessie :lol:

I'd say towers scarefest. I think the atmosphere is just right.The mazes are better than Thorpe imo, as they're better thought out, they're not constant scare-scare-scare bright lights trying to kill you bullcottage cheese tastes very nice, they generally have a storyline or a background and it's more immersive, which is worth their extra costs. And terror of the towers lasting roughly 13mins is a good run for your money reallyI also think towers does more for the kids, yeah they've got the trick or treat, but the music is better suited to family, and they seemingly put more effort than chessington. I lov chessingtons soundtrack, but to play it everywhere? Bit much. And they've done that before with the old amity SFX playing everywhere in previous two years.Plus.. the park overall looks better. The park looks better than the others in the daytime, but come nighttime. Coar. Just look at these to see how amazing the place looked last year. Plus, apart from literally 3 days last year, the park was no busier than a standard weekend - or even dead (first week being empty). Decent.

I have to go with Scarefest at Alton Towers too. B)I visited during the first week of it being on last year, (Sunday 17th I think). It was brilliant on many levels, not only did the park have a MASSIVE amount of lighting and effects such as the Alpha-Spots at the bottom of Oblivion's drop which moved round and shon up to the car when it was about to drop, then spun round as it was going down the drop. Also Nemesis was looking better than I had ever seen it, with tons of red lights and smoke around by the bus area. Air had some lighting as well, basically all the rides did and Katanga Canyon had some nice lights around it like green ones in the jeep by the rapids. I didn't do any of the scare mazes, but by what I have heard about them they sound better than some of Thorpe's... and they last a lot longer. ;)The atmosphere at Towers Scarefest was not too over the top either, it was just right and the merge between day and night was really good when the park comes to life with all of the things like the Th13teen queue actors and lighting. Queues were also VERY reasonable on opening weekend, Nemesis had max of 15 mins by what I remember and was walk on most points during the day, same goes for Oblivion (I spent most of the evening in X-Sector ;) ). Some smaller&water rides closed at dusk because of safety reasons, but that can't really be helped. But yeah, I will definitely try to return to this years event.

I'd say towers scarefest. I think the atmosphere is just right.The mazes are better than Thorpe imo, as they're better thought out, they're not constant scare-scare-scare bright lights trying to kill you bullcottage cheese tastes very nice, they generally have a storyline or a background and it's more immersive, which is worth their extra costs. And terror of the towers lasting roughly 13mins is a good run for your money reallyI also think towers does more for the kids, yeah they've got the trick or treat, but the music is better suited to family, and they seemingly put more effort than chessington. I lov chessingtons soundtrack, but to play it everywhere? Bit much. And they've done that before with the old amity SFX playing everywhere in previous two years.Plus.. the park overall looks better. The park looks better than the others in the daytime, but come nighttime. Coar. Just look at these to see how amazing the place looked last year. Plus, apart from literally 3 days last year, the park was no busier than a standard weekend - or even dead (first week being empty). Decent.

I have to go with Scarefest at Alton Towers too. :DI visited during the first week of it being on last year, (Sunday 17th I think). It was brilliant on many levels, not only did the park have a MASSIVE amount of lighting and effects such as the Alpha-Spots at the bottom of Oblivion's drop which moved round and shon up to the car when it was about to drop, then spun round as it was going down the drop. Also Nemesis was looking better than I had ever seen it, with tons of red lights and smoke around by the bus area. Air had some lighting as well, basically all the rides did and Katanga Canyon had some nice lights around it like green ones in the jeep by the rapids. I didn't do any of the scare mazes, but by what I have heard about them they sound better than some of Thorpe's... and they last a lot longer. ;)The atmosphere at Towers Scarefest was not too over the top either, it was just right and the merge between day and night was really good when the park comes to life with all of the things like the Th13teen queue actors and lighting. Queues were also VERY reasonable on opening weekend, Nemesis had max of 15 mins by what I remember and was walk on most points during the day, same goes for Oblivion (I spent most of the evening in X-Sector ;) ). Some smaller&water rides closed at dusk because of safety reasons, but that can't really be helped. But yeah, I will definitely try to return to this years event.

See I love the atmosphere at Thorpe Park, the whole park is smoked out, creepy sound tracks are played around the park, loads of horror mazes and I just love it! But I do really want to go to the Scarefest at Alton, never been there before because its such a journey but I'm planning to go this year depending on what people are doing haha! I really loved Thorpe's halloween events a few years ago when it was less popular, you didnt even have to get off stealth, they just keep making it go round, unless you wanted to get off ;) But really want to the Alton some time!

I voted Alton.Thorpe are great for the mazes, as they are free, but the storylines aren't really there so it's just about actors making you jump and doing creepy stuff in your face, which gets repetitive.Theming varies, non-existant last year.Smoke and lights can be good too, and the music.Rides at night are good fun B)Only been to one Chessie Halloween event and that was in 2008. I don't remember much but I remember seeing good theming, don't remember what they did with music though apart from the entrance theme changing? Rides at night were awesome - Vampire and Fury OMG ;)Alton, although charging for mazes, has mazes with actual storylines etc. Boiler House in 2009 was pretty crap and wtf though. Terror of the Towers actually scares me a bit, with the dark objects that don't move. Better than actors in some ways, and it's a good length! I've only done Duel Live once and that was in 08, don't remember much ;) But I prefer Duel as it is tbh!Theming is good, and the park looks great at night, loved how they lit the towers up last year!And Nemesis and Oblivion at night are just awesome!

I think there's a bit of over-harsh on Alton - I mean the difference in the effort Alton put into theming is vastly superior to THORPE, whilst not as much as CWOA.Alton spent a lot of money on new lighting for 2010. Oblivion was fantastic, and so were several other rides. Towers Street is also impressively themed, and rides do have halloween additions - such as Oblivion and Rapids skeletons. Some areas are not improved, but the darkness and eeriness of Alton is second to none. It is the best time of year to visit Alton (mind you, with fireworks now back on the agenda, that is running this event close).THORPE's mazes aren't any better than Alton's, indeed I would say TOTT is the best halloween maze in the UK, and although Chessington is well themed - Alton are catering for everyone and for me Scarefest is the best event of the three parks.;)

I think it's a case of whether or not people care about the mazes, or count lighting as theming...Towers was very well lit last year, but... The theming around the park was sparse and didn't really have much 'effort'...I dunno, since I don't bother with the mazes so probably that's where all the theming was hiding... Thirteen Live was done well though...

I heard very mixed reviews on Thirteen Live. When the actors were there it seemed to be very good indeed... though that's where the problem seemed to lie, the actors weren't there enough of the time. I heard reviews where guests had spent over an hour in line, not to encounter a single actor. That's not a very good show is it.I also heard about numerous instances regarding actor Health and Safety due to people being a bit silly as usual. This is one of the reasons why we don't have Haunted Hollow Live any longer. If they can find a way to make it work then I'd say go for it.It also seems as though the coaster itself benefits from night time riding!

• 3 weeks later...

Alton for me, while I've never been to Fright Nights it does look good, and from a thrill seekers point of view slightly better than Scarefest. Scarefest 2010 was a step in the wrong direction for me, Skelvin wasn't half as good as Duel Live, and the Field of 1000 screams was, imo, much better than Carnival of Screams. But Nemesis looked epic last year at night, and riding nemmy in the dark is amazing. I think Lightwater Valley deserves some praise for last year though, the marketing was good and the park looked fantastic. Riding The Ultimate in the dark must have been immense as well.

• 1 month later...

Thorpe and Alton have good halloween events, everything is well themed and you get the mazes. I haven't been to Chessingtons event for about 5 years all I can remeber is the if you where wearing fancy dress you got in for free. I don't think you should have to pay extra to get into fright nights even if you are an annual pass holder.

I'd say Thorpe because The Aslyum is probably the best scare maze in the UK in my opinion. And because the park is so small, they're able to logistically rig smoke machines, lights and speakers pretty much everywhere, and have the whole park covered in an atmospheric smog, which really is epic.However Alton has a better overall variety. I promised I'd take my friend to AT this year instead of Thorpe, because she hates scare mazes, but doesn't mind stray actors, or even stuff like Duel Alive. That said, it can all be a little sparse. Obviously rigging speakers up the the entire park to play atmospheric music would be impossible (or cost a fortune) and to a certain degree it still has to be all family friendly. The concept of actors roaming the park is kind of new to the UK, but its good to see its catching on, I hope Thorpe start putting roaming actors on site like at AT. I aboslutely LOVE the guy on piano that rolls along towers street playing away.

• 4 weeks later...

A massive part of me wants to vote Alton, purely because, ever since 2007, Thorpe have let me down in terms of themeing, music, and all the changes that make fright nights as a pose to rides in the dark and mazes. There is a huge difference. While Alton make near enough no attempt at themeing, their mazes are fantastic, and, the fact that every subsequent year isn't worse than the one before, as is the case at Thorpe, Alton pull it back a bit more (admittedly, I've only been once to Scarefest). I really don't want to vote though, Fright Nights have a place in my heart because it was fantastic in 2007, and pretty good in 2008, but then again, when you come back, year after year and find it even worse than the one before, I really shouldn't give them any loyalty at all. I just hope to god this year is better than last year, but, we shall see...Vote goes to Alton. Thorpe just let me down year on year.