The Black Spot

pluk

Who remembers the black spot? A long time ago, a bit sketchy in my mind.I seem to remember the train to the farm being diverted occasionally, some went straight to the farm, others got theatrically 'hijacked' by pirates where a kind of show was put on by actors when the train stopped. A few terrified kiddies were pulled from the train to be used in the show and at some point a black spot was put in the palm of the hand of one of them. They would then be told they would die a slow and painful death because of their black spot(!), but be given a voucher for a free ice cream to make up for it. Such a good idea and I remember loving it as a child. Why was it gotten rid of? Would such a thing have a place in todays Thorpe?My little sister was once infected, she got the black spot (+free ice cream!), and I am forever jealous.

This was Treasure Island Railway and it was at the park from 1983 - 1993. I used to love this ride when I was younger, I don't think I was ever given the Black Spot though although my Wife says that she did and you could also trade the voucher in for a can of Coke.From what I can remember the trains were separate to those that went to and from the farm, you could walk to the ride area/station on a road alongside the CCR tracks from the Thunder River (Rumba Rapids) area up towards the farm, it was kind of half way between the two.I have many great memories of this ride, it is a shame that they closed it when they did but even if RMC had kept it operating I don't think Tussuads would have kept it.

A few people said it was because the pirates were growing weed or something? Which I highly doubt is true.

LOL...I don't even remember Treasure Island ever being open when I was a young'un, and I do remember the days of the Bumper Boats, Dodgems and the amazing Golf <3In hindsight though, Thorpe was an awful park 10 years ago in regards to rides... And now it's an awful park in regards to atmosphere... Funny old world :)

Hi - this attraction really fascinates me - can anyone describe in detail what it was like? can anyone tell me*Where the station was and what it was like? what was the que like?*how did you get to the station? did you walk or did the Canada creek railway drop you off? or both? and if you walked how did you get there? by the side of thunder river? was there signage guiding you?* what did you see as you went round? I've seen pictures of a pirate ship in two you passed through - what else? * how man "scenes" where there? *was there lots of trees or was it barren? * did the train driver speak to you like the CC railway drivers used to?

Hi - this attraction really fascinates me - can anyone describe in detail what it was like? can anyone tell me*Where the station was and what it was like? what was the que like?*how did you get to the station? did you walk or did the Canada creek railway drop you off? or both? and if you walked how did you get there? by the side of thunder river? was there signage guiding you?* what did you see as you went round? I've seen pictures of a pirate ship in two you passed through - what else? * how man "scenes" where there? *was there lots of trees or was it barren? * did the train driver speak to you like the CC railway drivers used to?

Hi, I think the oracle that is the amazing Mr Pritchard is best to answer this, but I think (in order)....

*It ran out of CCR station. Queues did not happen, old Thorpe was very different!!

*The whole thing occurred on the train. Once it was a short distance passed Thunder river the train was 'hijacked' and took a branch line to the right, which I would imagine was fairly close to the back of Thunder river.

*I don't remember anything like that, but like I say this is REALLY sketchy in my mind.

*There was only one scene where the train was taken to, everyone sat on the train (except the selected kiddies) while the pirates did their thing.

*I remember it feeling really secluded in the trees, as if you had been taken miles from anywhere.

*I think the driver mainly spoke to express his 'surprise' at the hijacking.

I wish I could remember it more clearly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Didn't you remember Treasure Island Railway? In which it ran from 1983-1993.

It used to be located on an island behind a future island (Dark Kingdom at my park), also behind The Swarm.

Check these websites out to refresh your memory, and revive your childhood too!

http://www.memoriesofthorpepark.co.uk/treasureisland.html

https://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/page/lynbarn-lbs-fund-raising-railway

https://space-place.com/treasure-island-thorpe-park/

Please feel free to comment, IF YOU DARE!

Edited by 08newmanb

• 3 years later...