St Annes Lake and Britannia Arena

thorpephan

Does Thorpe Park still own St Annes lake and the Britannia arena? and if they don't - would they be able to buy it back? on park maps from the early 80's it showed the Britannia arena as being accessible along with the rest of the park - but I think along the way it was franchised out to a watersports company!also I assume Thorpe still own abit of st Annes lake where the nature trail used to be.my point being - from areal photos - this area is quite huge - extending out to the M3- there also doesnt seem to be much residential developments around there - especially the Canada Creek end - I've always thought this would be a great space for a woodie - Similar to Colossus at Heide park - the park could virtually double if the extend that way - only problem being is monks walk public footpath Cuts right through the park at that point, but it could still be ok for out and back coasters!

I don't know a great deal about the lakes, but some of St Annes is owned by JB Ski.The watersports company are given a really hard time by Thorpe and the planning board won't even let JB Ski set up a permanent marquee, even though it is pretty much right next to a 205ft roller coaster!

The thing with planning permission, as far as I'm aware, those who submit plans have to publicly display a notice informing everyone and people are allowed to object to it with valid reasoning. I assume Thorpe Park is objecting rather than the planning permissions board rejecting it outright?

The thing with planning permission, as far as I'm aware, those who submit plans have to publicly display a notice informing everyone and people are allowed to object to it with valid reasoning. I assume Thorpe Park is objecting rather than the planning permissions board rejecting it outright?

Perhaps - this is because JB ski rent to Thorpe Park - who still OWN the land - and hense why Thorpe park objects - maybe they won't give JB Ski permission because they do have there eye on that area in the future

As the situation stands Thorpe Park own the lake and land where Waterski is based, this comes from many years ago, where you correctly say waterski was part of Thorpe Park, with access being at a point where Monks Walk turns in to a bridge. I find it weird that Thorpe would want to buy Waterski out of their lease as there is in fact very little they can do with the lake or land on that side of Monks Walk. The lake and a lot of its surrounding land is protected under European Law due to its importance for wintering birds. Similarly for areas not affected by this, the Environment Agency wants to use the lake as a method of routing water away from the River Bourne at Chertsey, before it merges into the Thames to help relieve flooding.

Thats interesting and sort of answers my question as to whether the land can be developed on! maybe they can develop on part of it for example the part with the ski equipment on - as that has man made elements to it!

It is possible, but I would see it as being unlikely, afterall the flow of guests to and from that area would be very limited. Interesting fact is technically all the land and lakes are man made anyway. Everything that is there now is the result of in-filling anyway.

Yes I can see that - particularly with monks walk being right through it - thats why I could see it being used for an "out and back" coaster - thats starts and finishes within the park Is monks walk an ancient walkway then? I know rights way being get quite peeved if you try and divert there routes? Edited by IanNem
Fixed bb code & spelling