The Zoo

Yay animals! :DBABY MEERKATS!!! I saw some little capybaras too, not sure how young they are, but the meerkats were tiny! And one of the adults ran up to the window and started running up and down, think it might have recognised my coat and thought I was about to feed it or something. I was like "Sorryyy, I work on the rides!"Next time I'm at work, I'm visiting the tigers, see if they have any cubs!That's a bonus of working at Chessie, you can look at the animals on break, and look at the cute l'il babies. You don't see SAW or Vortex producing furry little babies do you hehe :P imagine that!

Sad about Boris but he had a very good and long life - he was by no means starved either that's probably why so many guests liked him. Chessington Zoo is really looking great it was kinda deprived pre Tussauds Thorpe when Chessington was the Thrill Capital but it looks great now. The Monkey and Bird Gardens are unique and have little additions that the kids really love. The Animals seem to be happy judging by the birth rate over the last few years. However they could still improve the Gorilla pen, it might meet regulations but it has the appearance of a 'cage' rather than an enclosure that other animals have.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chessington Zoo was on 'Michaela's Zoo Babies' on Channel 5 today (15/4/2009). They did the Zoo justice making it look really good, maybe they could do this more. If Longleat can do it Chessington definitely can. If you have some time or are just really bored the episode is here sadly if like me you have a Mac you can't watch! http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episode...ame=C5141000003

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Chessington wouldn't be complete without the Zoo in all honesty. I personally think that Chessington is the best theme park zoo in the country, ahead of Drayton Manor and Flamingo Land zoos. I think it's excellent, and the SEA-LIFE aquarium is a must visit! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a new video from Chessington & Zoo of the Sealions! :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_2y5YLPSzkI love the sealions at Chessington and the video is really good and shows what they can do!QuestionI know Boris has unfortunately passed away, but was he in this video or is it just a larger Sealion? :P(Before anyone says it was only put on 2 days ago, they could of filmed him when he was alive!)

• 2 years later...

What with the new zoo addition plans being put about, it's high time there was a dedicated topic to the zoo, which is as mentioned, the actual reason why the park exists...There are of course many areas, ranging from the old Sealion Bay to the brand new Wanyama Village, and certainly many of us MUST have memories of both the past and present of wandering around and enjoying the animals...This topic can also be used for any news for new animals, movement of animals and other things...So bring on the wild side and let's talk about the zoo!

Edited by Tommy
Merged two topics, ignore the 'I CREATED THIS' speil

How do you pronounce Wanyama? Is it literally WAN YAMAAAAA!?I love the zoo, and it's great it's getting must needed investment. Soon it'll be the best part of the park again :rolleyes:

Soon, it is the best part of the park NOW (though since they moved the Fennec Foxes to backstage to keep a closer eye on the injured male, it's become less so)... ;)Besides, Wanyama Man > Everything else...

I remember the giraffe house, which was in the hole currently occupied by the rattlesnake. This worked well as the viewing area was at the giraffes head height but I don't think it was really a big enough area for the animals.I love giraffes, they need to return. I'm sure they could live happily with the zebras wandering around Wagamamas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the Zoo, very under-rated. I'm glad they are working on the Monkey and Bird area, I always feel that the cages are to small for the animals they keep. It always amazes me how big the Zoo is actually. If you factor in the Zoo and the Park and all the shows going on around the park, Chessington can easily become a two day park.. just depends on whether you like animals or not. I would want to see the Trail of the Kings area become larger though, there's no way the enclosures are sizeable enough for the animals they hold. And I'd want to see animals like giraffes added to Wanyama. As the best animal in the world it deserves a place at Chessington. Make it so! :D

I love the zoo I really do, but at the minute I wish they would just leave it and actually invest in some rides!120+ mins for Vampire90 for Fury80 for BubbleworksDon't really think that's going to give many people a good day out and it's obvious what people come for. I do agree though, would love to see continued improvements in the zoo, just not yet.

And I'd want to see animals like giraffes added to Wanyama. As the best animal in the world it deserves a place at Chessington. Make it so! :D

But they already have Meerkats, Penguins AND Fennec Foxes :PI agree with Trail of the Kings though... Next on the chopping board I reckon for a revamp... Especially if (I dream) they eventually move the Lions into Wanyama...

I love the zoo I really do, but at the minute I wish they would just leave it and actually invest in some rides!120+ mins for Vampire90 for Fury80 for BubbleworksDon't really think that's going to give many people a good day out and it's obvious what people come for. I do agree though, would love to see continued improvements in the zoo, just not yet.

They need to get a balance really... I agree they need to invest into the park just as much, like they did last year with Wild Asia AND Wanyama... Chessie however have such little investment available to them (and a lack of decisiveness) that they can only do one or the other...Hard to say really...

I agree with Trail of the Kings though... Next on the chopping board I reckon for a revamp... Especially if (I dream) they eventually move the Lions into Wanyama...

After visiting a few days ago, I could imagine how great it would be to see the Lions in Wanyama, however I could never see this happening. They would have to invest so much money to create a secure enough enclosure of that size and due to UK regulations they would not be allowed to place any other animals in Wanyama with them - although they probably wouldn't last long. I think a larger collection of Zebra, Giraffe, Gazelle and maybe even Capybara would make it much better :D

See those queue times are the exception, not the rule. It is rare for Fury, Vampire and Bubbleworks to have those queue times for a full 8 hours in the day. Whilst I agree that ride investment is required, it's not due to queue times being excessively long around the park.. it's just not the case.