THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Just I thought that I got from other forums around the web...Gears of WAR the ride?Posted ImageI mean look at how similar the font is? and the red thing on the R...could it be the red cog thing? Also the storylines in the GEARS series of games fits in well with the etheme of alien esq themes in tha plans along with destruction and the world ending ect....Dont know if its alreday been posted but I did it anyways! =D

Edited by weatherspoon

Just I thought that I got from other forums around the web...Gears of WAR the ride?Posted ImageI mean look at how similar the font is? and the red thing on the R...could it be the red cog thing? Also the storylines in the GEARS series of games fits in well with the etheme of alien esq themes in tha plans along with destruction and the world ending ect....Dont know if its alreday been posted but I did it anyways! =D

I'm hating that idea cos' I hate ip's and want this to be original.but I'm loving it cos' well, I love gears. :angry:

If you watch the video on the Thorpe Park Official facebook page its HQ and if you look carefully at the end it is a crosshair from a gun and I am sure it isnt gears of war! Surely they cannot have another franchise! Saw was bad enough! they milked that dry!

Whats wrong with Saw? Its the parks most successful rollercoaster to date... surely thats a good thing?

I have a lot of thoughts on a potential IP that I'm unable to express articulately into a post at the moment. My conclusion is however, I'll be disappointed if this is another IP, I was looking forward to seeing the creative juices at the studios flow like we got a glimpse of with Raptor.Also, if it is an IP, that £18M-£20M feels a little less impressive.

^On the other side though, they spent so much on getting the IP which 'arguably' could have been better spent on a much better layout/theme/anything NOT related to Saw...Any ride can be termed successful, indeed, I'm a believer in the great "Build it, and they WILL come", shame Merlin seem to think that they need gimmicks and easy marketable pieces rather than quality...Hopefully LC12 and SW7 will buck the trend, especially after Raptor...

Popularity of the park / ride which I guess is the ultimate aim for Merlin.

We've had this discussion before actually in private and we came to the conclusion that the park with one coaster, it's second in command Tidal Wave and Vortex is not going to be as popular as the park with Saw as its new ride and Stealth, Colossus and Inferno as support.Of course it's going to have grown in popularity, its had 4 major coasters and heaps of new rides thrown at it. Whether Saw is a favourite is more down the personal preference.

I doubt it'll be a Gears of War ride. There are too many obvious - trivial, but obvious - differences that only copyright claims would bother to notice between the two images, such as the partition serif on the A being wider on Thorpe's WAR and the misty haze surrounding the word. Plus, the gear with the skull is synonymous with Gears of War - it's hard to imagine the franchise without it so if the red R of Thorpe's WAR was intentionally meant to mimic it, it would do so with more obvious results, I.e. - it'd look more like the full-bodied gear from the Gears of War logo, and it would have a skull. If Thorpe were going for an official sponsorship deal/IP then things like this can't simply be nuanced in.

Ah I always forget about the Paramount parks. Weren't there 2 different Raider top spins as well?

Blergh, actually meant to say roller coaster there, but yes, Tomb Raider rides existed at Paramount and one still exists at Movieland Studios in Italy...Still rather technically though, since really, they based the rides off the films rather than the games... But since the films were based off the games (etc)...