THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

I know nothing about Gears of War - and hope to remain that way as I really don't want another film franchised ride.However, having looked into it in Gears of War they apparently fight a relentless subterranean enemy known as the Locust Horde. Surely if this were to be a Gears themed ride it would be underground/in the dark? Plus, in the video those rockets are definitely firing at something - hopefully on land, not under it.I know I'm grasping at straws but I just want a great thrill ride with equally great UNIQUE theming.

Still rather technically though, since really, they based the rides off the films rather than the games... But since the films were based off the games (etc)...

I was going to say that but it's a bit nitpicky. Paramount probably only had the movie rights and the movies would I guess be a bigger draw to Joe Bloggs than the video games.

In my opinion the font, red flare and fuzzy presentation of the lettering in Thorpe's video is way too similar to the Gears Of War logo/brand to be ignored. Whilst the idea of this association with a video game doesn't exactly excite me personally, I can totally see why it might well happen. It seems to fit the theme of the coaster well and Gears of War does suit Thorpe's target audience [I.e young people]. At least if this did happen to be true, the theme of the ride would still make generic sense even after the contract with Gears' ends (I.e not as with SAW, where most of the theming would look out of place without the franchise's context). Only thing confusing me is that the whole LC12 publicity so far leans slightly more towards an 'end of the world'/nuclear theme than Gears of War.

Only thing confusing me is that the whole LC12 publicity so far leans slightly more towards an 'end of the world'/nuclear theme than Gears of War.

Maybe cos the ride WON'T have anything to do with Gears of War?It's about as likely as it being themed to it based off it using the same font...

Instead of arguing over speculation and theories, how about we have some LC12 News in the LC12 News thread?Photos courtesy of Beans on CF... http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29847&start=910Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageIn this last one you can just about make out what I was talking about the other night, regarding possible start of station preparation.There are more at the link.

The thing that struck me whilst wandering around the area on Wednesday hasn't been mentioned yet I don't think: the tiny size of the thoroughfare past Fish to the LC12 bridge.Posted ImageSo basically, the tiny path I've shaded red is going to have to handle the weight of the amassed crowds trying to access LC12's island. You don't quite get a sense of it from this view, but walking down there the other day, it really is small. Doesn't seem intended as a main route to anywhere. If you think back to Saw's opening year crowds, am I the only one predicting absolute carnage at this location!?

^Sure it got mentioned briefly before... But since these topics jump so wildly between what's going on, it needs to be discussed...Indeed, it's gonna end up like Saw's entrance when that first started... Crowded, claustrophobic, and highly uncomfortable I think... Hopefully they'll find some way of helping the flow...

I had noticed in the past, but presumed there'd be something Thorpe would've done to manage thoroughfare. You can get some perspective of just how narrow it is by looking at the Flying Fish next door to it - the path isn't even as wide as the ride's footprint! And this is why Neptune's Kingdom must go. :(

Sorry for brining gears into it =P It just looked so similar and with a new gears game coming in 2012, the budget jumping up by £2million could mean they bought the franchise? ( I have way to much time... a 15 week Summer is silly =/)Sorry again, back on topic, ist there mentiond somewhere that there will be a new bridge added when they build on the other island? I think I remember it being somewhere....will try and find it! A bit like Saw I guess one than another with a new "attraction".

Sorry for brining gear into it =P It just looked so similar and with a new gears game coming in 2012, the budget jumping up by £2million could mean they bought the franchise? ( I have way to much time... a 15 week Summer is silly =/)Sorry again, back on topic, ist there mentiond somewhere that there will be a new bridge added when they build on the other island? I think I remember it being somewhere....will try and find it! A bit like Saw I guess one than another with a new "attraction".

gears 3 comes out this september :(

So basically, the tiny path I've shaded red is going to have to handle the weight of the amassed crowds trying to access LC12's island. You don't quite get a sense of it from this view, but walking down there the other day, it really is small. Doesn't seem intended as a main route to anywhere. If you think back to Saw's opening year crowds, am I the only one predicting absolute carnage at this location!?

Surely the pathway the other side of depth charge will be made available too?

Sorry for brining gears into it =P It just looked so similar and with a new gears game coming in 2012, the budget jumping up by £2million could mean they bought the franchise? ( I have way to much time... a 15 week Summer is silly =/)Sorry again, back on topic, ist there mentiond somewhere that there will be a new bridge added when they build on the other island? I think I remember it being somewhere....will try and find it! A bit like Saw I guess one than another with a new "attraction".

Yes, there will be a new bridge built joining the location island of LC12 to Thorpe's mainland, somewhere behind the Flying Fish.