THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Not to mention, don't Merlin own Gardaland? I'm pretty certain they have the right to film Raptor in place of LC12 if they want to give viewers a better (cough) glimpse of the ride in action.EDIT: I just called it LC12. It's official. The Swarm is a crap name.

Indeed. With the name though. I reminds me of Sci-fi films and shows where the human race comes up with some kind of name for the aliens. For example in Falling Skies, they're called The Walkers. The Swarm I would imagine is a name made up for the aliens within the story of the ride.

At first when I saw 'THE SWARM' I was thinking, WTH are we going to be invaded by pesky bee's now are we?But in all seriousness I think it will be alien themed, I had the hairs on my neck standing on end watching the promo, I'm so excited! And it makes sense as well, I can't wait! Hope it's consistent with theming as it does look really good! But really... it should be, with a 18mil-20mil investment Posted Image

Explain?Some people just want to call everything Thorpe does crap for the hell of it, seems like... It's about a swarm attacking. We are riding the swarm. The Swarm seems good to me.

'Twas a joke Adam. I get the name of the ride, and I get the concept. Oh, and I don't think it's crap.On another note, I just watch a video of Raptor off-ride and those trains look brilliant. Though I couldn't help notice how, possibly because of their enormous weight, that after the first drop the ride is quite pedestrian? Good to see that The Swarm have a lot of near misses and potential G-Force spots or it could very well be quite a dull ride (if we exclude themeing).

I think that is brilliant! The name alone makes me shiver. There was a brilliant episode of Star Trek Voyager called 'The Swarm' in which there were these nasty sinister aliens that swarmed around star ships and drained them of their power killing everyone on board. Not that this has anything whatsoever to do with that, just that the word Swarm is not reserved solely for bees!Whether you like it or not, you have to admit that it is a terrifying name and a great theme.

In honesty, if it was called 'Swarm', people would end up saying 'Let's ride The Swarm' and with 'The Swarm', people will end up saying 'Swarm' a lot. In that case, it's lose-lose.I don't mind though, I love the name, and I didn't have myself as someone who would like rides named as 'The ____'. ;)

At least when press / gp talk about it I won't have to get angry at the surplus 'the' they always add... 'The Stealth' and 'The Saw' annoys me no end. This now joins The Riddler's Revenge and others in the ranks of rides that actually have 'the' in the name! ;)

Video is fantastic but I think the image below it looks even better! :rolleyes:Would anyone know how to save the image because I only managed to catch a glimpse while the video box was loading and hadn't appeared. That image really shows off how Thorpe could really pull this theme off with the name The Swarm ;)

The Swarm. I approve, it sounds kind of theatrical which I hope is how they are thinking in terms of theming\story\putting on a show - instead of dumping the hardware down and surrounding it with cattlepens in no sort of context.With the promo film being so full of explosions, fire and missiles I better be seeing some on ride pyroticnics when it's done. Excited.

I really hope they don't let us people down. I'm really intrigued and I think the name adds to that. If it was just called 'War', it wouldn't seem to have the same depth as 'The Swarm', where the idea seems slightly more interesting and unique.If THORPE actually decide to keep the website alive and don't give up towards the end...they could be on to something major. I find the early stages exciting but getting to know the ride more and being dealt surprises makes the whole experience a lot more interesting. I honestly think this ride could be massive; they have the power to theme it to no end, so let's just see how that pans out.

Very exciting! Is it sad that I looked as soon as it turned 12? I looked this morning when I woke up and was disappointed to say it still had hours remaining, I assumed it would count down till midnight. I remember people had been saying how Raptor has good themeing and I don't think The Swarm will disappoint on this level, as it seems Thorpe are working really hard on it for this ride from what we have already seen in the planning.Was reading the wikipedia for it earlier and the description is really detailed, I wondered if anyone else had seen this, I will copy and paste, "The ride will begin in the station which is a partly destroyed church, and will climb up a 40m (127 Foot) lift hill. Upon reaching the top of the lift hill, the track will rotate at an angle of 180° and dive down through a large half loop. The train will then proceed to dive under a wrecked plane and incline into a zero-g roll and before entering an inclined loop. It then enters a turn around with a wrecked helicopter in the centre followed by a corkscrew through the loop creating a near-miss point. Upon leaving the corkscrew the train will curve past a crashed fire engine and a partly destroyed church tower and enter into a last inline twist before the final brakes of the ride stop the train and guide it back into the station."Anyway, I am excited for this, and annoyed I have to wait so long before it is actually built!