THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

^Depends on what speed it takes it at. Raptor was rather steep as well if I recall and that wasn't the most forceful thing.Again, I doubt this will be massive on the G-Forces, purely due to the ride vehicle design... graceful and smooth is however a definite. And to me, a much more important quality to have in a ride, as that provides re-rideability.

Great to see people got pictures, I forgot to get some haha, but the supports were going up like crazy :)Never really realised how big it is going to look, and its only the support for the Zero G, this thing is going to look huge, and I don't think stealth will make this ride look smaller, its in a good position!

In the last photo Luke posted, you can make out the bottom of the lift as well as the lifts motor. I can imagine this time next week a lot of the supports will be in position.This is going to be a VERY steep lift hill!!?Not sure if anyone else has picked up but.... Trims at the bottom of the first drop?

B&M have recently been doing a LOT of steep lift hills... Recent Hypers like Diamondback, Krake and Raptor are all nice and steep... Not really that noticeable on the rides, but it can look really good from the off-ride perspective...Also, LOL TRIMS! To be expected these days... Whoever said they couldn't have them because there's no straight track must be feeling a tad foolish now :)

Well my first guess for a trim brake position (there had to be at least one) was the up-curve into the zero-G roll. So I'm not surprised to see one materialise there.Actually I am... At the bottom of the drop? Who's idea was that now, really? Speak now, B&M/Thorpe. Let's hope it's barely noticeable or, like Air's, hardly ever in use.

I also don't mind the trims as much as the next coaster enthusiast. The best parts of Raptor was when the train was at a more crawling pace.

Nail on head. The Wing-Rider concept isn't about speed or forces, it's about interaction and the open sensation you get from the seating.If that final inline is taken quickly, then the near misses will be, well missed. But if taken slowly, the experience is heightened much more. Kinda like how Colossus goes through them at about 5mph.But of course, trims are the bane of our enthusiast lives, and hence should be mocked and ridiculed because they ruin coasters just by existing.

Just to add to the photos that have appeared on here from yesterday, I've put some high-res shots from my visit on Total Thorpe Park. It clear that being so close to the Dome, the ride is going to dominate the Thorpe skyline as you enter the Park - the second inversion is huge. The pace that the track is being erected at is quite startling too - there were at least two or three large supports/track pieces put up just yesterday. We may well have a complete circuit by the end of the season!And a close up of those (controversial?) trims...Posted Image

Just to add to the photos that have appeared on here from yesterday, I've put some high-res shots from my visit on Total Thorpe Park. It clear that being so close to the Dome, the ride is going to dominate the Thorpe skyline as you enter the Park - the second inversion is huge. The pace that the track is being erected at is quite startling too - there were at least two or three large supports/track pieces put up just yesterday. We may well have a complete circuit by the end of the season!And a close up of those (controversial?) trims...Posted Image

Cheers for the pictures mate, infact well done to everyone on here for the sheer number of updates over the last few days B) That picture is the magnetic brakes Ben, below is the trim piece of track in question (credit to Daniel Hotton of Merlin Mania). I can't remember who I discussed this with but I can only apologise, you called it right on the positioning of the trim :)Posted Image

That picture is the magnetic brakes Ben, below is the trim piece of track in question

My bad; I was referring to the brakes after the inline discussed a couple of pages back! I agree with what's already been said about brakes on this ride though - The Swarm will be more about the swooping feeling and near-misses and less about intensity and speed, so trims shouldn't hamper the experience. As long as they don't go overkill on them...

B&M have recently been doing a LOT of steep lift hills... Recent Hypers like Diamondback, Krake and Raptor are all nice and steep... Not really that noticeable on the rides, but it can look really good from the off-ride perspective...Also, LOL TRIMS! To be expected these days... Whoever said they couldn't have them because there's no straight track must be feeling a tad foolish now :)

On the topic of additional trimming mid course, there is very little straight and unbanked track minus coming into the zero roll and out of it

LOL you mean me when I said that there are few opportunities to have trims except for a few location such as going into the zero G roll and so forth ;)? Not feeling foolish at all.Have to agree with the steepness of the lift hill from an off ride perspective being very intimidating. My personal worst part of a roller coaster is going up a slow lift hill (Saw on my first ride was my worst nightmare).