THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

What seem to catch my eye is their is no queue lines yet.. or pavingBoth Saw and Stealth had most of the queue and entrance paving done and even had the little entrance theming done but their seems to be.. nothing on the swarm site

1. You don't know how old these photos are :P2. This Is a much bigger ride than saw and stealth so things will take a little longer, but I'm sure it will all be ready for opening, just got to be patient!

I know it gets said time and time again but this is shaping up to be the best themed rollercoaster this country has ever seen. The zero-g roll near miss at the end of the ride looks so solid compared to Raptors fiddly metal trap thing for example. There are a lot of little touches to this ride.

I think they will finish off the main theming before they put all the paths in. They will need the space at the moment for bringing in and moving all the heavy pieces of scenery such as the helicopter and all the over-turned lorries. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wouldn't be much space for that if all the paths and queue lines had been put into place

isn't fireproof paint black?I know, wishful thinking :(however, I do think that when this is completed, it will not only be one of the best coasters in the UK, but also the best looking.I am about to dare say... that, for me, this is a contender to beat nemesis.I had to say it. please don't hurt me!

I had to say it. please don't hurt me!

Not many will disagree with you Bubbles. There is no way that Swarm will be as intense, thrilling or as exhilirating as Nemesis but then, Swarm isn't designed to be. I reckon it will ride far more smoothly (like Raptor) with long, drawn out patches of air time and hang time. Crucially, Swarm's theming already looks more substansial and extensive then Nemesis.We shall see though in two months time. :P

So much to look at in one update, me gusta. The station looks so much better than I could have imagined, I can't wait to see the tower from the same angle as the last photo in the church album because I'm sure that looks amazing too. I'm staring at it in the time lapse image :P The fire engine looks great with it's end in the water - and this is the first time I've properly been able to make out the 'inland lakes' on the island too which is cool. All-round awesomeness.

Good to see the SUDs and controlled ponds around the plane and the fire engine have been filled :D Hopefully they've done the helicopter pond as well, ready for that piece of themeing.I'm in love with the detailing on the church's façade. It really is one of the most convincing things already! :P The smashed glass, the cracked concrete, the burnt wood... oh it's just lovely. And I don't care if people moan about open-top stations! Firstly because, in the rain the drama and excitement of being on a rollercoaster - especially with this kind of theme - is only heightened, and secondly because well, it's better than Stealth's station.**platform

Also this is going to be quite weird to say but the time-lapse camera has been moved or the zoom tampered with, as the island now looks further away and you can see more of the drop and less of everything else.

Looks the same as every other update from the time lapse camera to me.

1. You don't know how old these photos are :D

But we've got the time-lapse shot, which supports Liam's point, and we know how old that is.. ;)Also, RGG / Go Merlin have got another time lapse video, which shows all the construction up till before Christmas. I can't link the actual video I'm afraid, but I can link to the page it's on - http://rideguidegroup.com/site/viewtopic.php?f=53&p=1978#p1978; it's about half way down. :P

Just to put a little fanboy moan in.It seems as if as much as the theming is brilliant, lets not go as far as Nemesis. There will only be a selection of theming you can properly access and interact with, as opposed to even Thirteen which is well themed imo. The theming that's there is also very small in comparison to the goliath scale of the ride itself, which is not desperately surprising; had a lot more of the ride been contained I'd be a lot more excited. At present, it just appears to fly over a church, and then fly past a plane. Nothing like even Posieden, which this ride could have been.Posted ImageI know I'll get shot down by people saying 'some are never pleased derpedy derp' but my opinion is not finalised, stuff may change as of yet. At present, it looks like a bit of a better themed version of SAW.Maybe the best themed ride since Nemesis, but not better.

Sheepie, I have to agree to an extent. The station interior is OK, the station exterior is really good but apart from that the theming is pretty limited. However we have to remember this was in 1994, and I'm sure more reasources for theming are available now then back in the day!The landscaping however is on another level, and is what really generates a world class ride experience.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really consider Nemesis that well themed! :P

I agree, some people do not differentiate between hard/soft landscaping and actual themeing, such as themed objects, signage... Nemesis is very well landscaped, but it's pretty modest when it comes to themeing - this isn't an attack against Nemesis at all! Ideally you want both the landscaping and the theming to work in synergy.Great progress on such an exciting development for Thorpe Park! The decayed and crumbling façades of the church remind me of Chessington for some reason? I would love to see some wild vegetation around the plane wreckage, it's the little finishing touches which I think will make this ride!

Just to put a little fanboy moan in.It seems as if as much as the theming is brilliant, lets not go as far as Nemesis. There will only be a selection of theming you can properly access and interact with, as opposed to even Thirteen which is well themed imo. The theming that's there is also very small in comparison to the goliath scale of the ride itself, which is not desperately surprising; had a lot more of the ride been contained I'd be a lot more excited.At present, it just appears to fly over a church, and then fly past a plane. Nothing like even Posieden, which this ride could have been.

Even your example Poseidon isn't fully themed, it's main rollercoaster sections are completely devoid of theming and the splash pool sections are just a boat sailing around a trough. it's aesthetically beautiful, but it isn't themed the whole round exactly.Let's be fair to Swarm here, Nemesis's theming is its station, a mushroom cloud bus and a big gun. It's landscaped well, but that isn't theming.

Which eagle-eyed fans can spot 2 additions to the site that were made over the Christmas period??

The bridge for those who were not eagle eyed enough to realize :P It's a lot further back than I expected, but maybe that's just perspective playing its role in the time lapse photos. I still always thought it was going to be nearer the drop though... I just hope that 'turn back' sign is going to be put on the bridge, because I thought that was a very nice touch. :D

The decayed and crumbling façades of the church remind me of Chessington for some reason?

Ooft... right where it hurts. :oI have to agree Jack, but maybe that's just the perspective of the photo? And I do hope the finished bridge looks less metallic, like they cover up the metal structure as they did with the exposed beams on The Swarm's station, because the wooden look was what made this ride so sinister - that this devastation has happened so far away from something that resembles a big city (the church is easily the kind you'd find in a quaint little British village), so yes, it would be nice to see that. :)EDIT: This photo...Posted ImageThis is where the caravan is going isn't it? The caravan that acts as the control room?

The bridge for those who were not eagle eyed enough to realize ;)It's a lot further back than I expected, but maybe that's just perspective playing its role in the time lapse photos. I still always thought it was going to be nearer the drop though... I just hope that 'turn back' sign is going to be put on the bridge, because I thought that was a very nice touch. :P

I think the bridge is waiting to be lifted into its final location. I might be wrong, but I don't think that is where it will stay, at least not according to the plans anyway.

Ooft... right where it hurts. :oI have to agree Jack, but maybe that's just the perspective of the photo? And I do hope the finished bridge looks less metallic, like they cover up the metal structure as they did with the exposed beams on The Swarm's station, because the wooden look was what made this ride so sinister - that this devastation has happened so far away from something that resembles a big city (the church is easily the kind you'd find in a quaint little British village), so yes, it would be nice to see that. :)EDIT: This photo...Posted ImageThis is where the caravan is going isn't it? The caravan that acts as the control room?

You can see at the top two wheels and the start of the frame for the Caravan. So yes, you are indeed right!

Sheepie, I have to agree to an extent....The landscaping however is on another level, and is what really generates a world class ride experience.

I agree, some people do not differentiate between hard/soft landscaping and actual themeing, such as themed objects, signage... Nemesis is very well landscaped, but it's pretty modest when it comes to themeing - this isn't an attack against Nemesis at all! Ideally you want both the landscaping and the theming to work in synergy.Great progress on such an exciting development for Thorpe Park! The decayed and crumbling façades of the church remind me of Chessington for some reason? I would love to see some wild vegetation around the plane wreckage, it's the little finishing touches which I think will make this ride!

Ooft... right where it hurts. :P

Yep, just to clarify, I'm talking exclusively about scenic elements. I agree Nemesis' landscaping is phenomenal, but, apart from a gret station exterior (which is needing a serious refurb) and a few props scattered about, Nemesis isn't really that well themed of a ride. Saying that, it still remains one of my favourite coasters I've been on. Alexander, I totally agree with you!Sid, I think Alexander was talking about the bare brick/ distressed plaster scenic effect that is seen around several of the rides. Particularly Wild Asia and Forbidden Kingdom.Posted ImagePosted ImageCheetah Hunt is another good example:Posted ImageIt's a popular scenic effect representing a distressed feel. I think it looks great! But I agree, it does look lightly "exotic"!