THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

...waaaiiitt a second.. there's no roof on this station?To be fair.. when Nemesis opened.. it had monster, mushroom cloud bus, nemesis nosh bus, another army truck thing next to the bus.. the drill.. the nemesis kitchen.. all bits of vehicles and blobs of theming which can be directly compared to swarmy.

I always assumed that it has no roof because it's part of the theme, y'know, what with it being a destroyed church an' all :PWhatever the reason, personally it doesn't bother me, but I can see what people mean.

I was a bit diappointed when I realised the openness of the station as well. I guess that's where a lot of budget was saved! :P If it came down to, say, having a roof over the station or sacrificing a scenic element outside. Horses for courses I guess!

Would a roof cost that much though, compared to a plane or a helicopter or a fire engine? I can just imagine the staff having to continue working in heavy rain in that station.. and the guests for that matter.I'm actually more concerned about the atmosphere that may be lacking without a roof. I know it's only a cover but you can create a lot of atmosphere with shadows and lighting. With the station fully open with the sky, it might lack that something compared to say Saw which benefits a lot from being in a dark room.

They wouldn't need to have a full roof, they could of laid metal panels over the roof and make it look like the swarm blown it over onto the top of the church, keeps the rain out and still keeps with the swarm/destroyed church theme.I hate queuing in a line for Rita in the rain and when you get to the platform the seats all wet and just wrecks the ride, I fear this for the swarm

It wouldn't work because like HoltJammy said the rain would drop on us like anything, even without them beams and for another thing how would that add to theming? I'd prefer a partially blown up roof with glass under it so even with the holes we dont get wet but seriously, no roof would just ruin the ride, we all hate having a wet bum and what if we get given a wet bum on opening day?That would ruin my view on the ride for one thing (but thats just me) and also its just much more pleasant with some sort of protection from the rain./rantover.

I just realised in the caravan picture/control room, that they have done the scaffolding on the left side in a strange way, which gives clearance for the train to be able to pass through it, without having to take away the scaffolding. And they have taken the covers off the station track. Also, they have been taking scaffolding away from the part where the train will pass through the tower, yet there still is some on it. Could these be possible signs that testing will possibly commence in the next week?Posted Image

Just to put it into question, where does it actually say there won't be a roof?Because looking at the construction so far, The main beams completely cover the roof. I assumed that it would have a full roof, with maybe a few holes and gapshttp://www.facebook....&type=3I shall check the plans...Edit: I can't really tell, allthough it does appear that there isn't a roof. I was hoping for at least some of the roof still remaining... Oh well

It says on the plans there is no complete roof; it was actually one of the first things I noticed. It does however say "partial thematic" roofing so there could be a few wooden boards or scraps of sheet metal between some of the beams. I don't get why people are complaining about the weather though, considering Stealth is right next door with no building at all and the trains will get wet anyway when it's raining because they'll, um, go outside. I'm slightly disappointed because there probably won't be dispatch lighting, but it could be cool in other ways. It opens up the possibility of some nice shadows being thrown around, and to my mind when we're supposed to be watching the skies, surely it's more ominous to be exposed? Being inside would create a certain feeling of safety. Hopefully they'll pick up on this element and add some station sound bites to this effect, along the lines of "Keep a look out! Watch the skies!" :P

Yesterday was a bit of a hectic day being the first day at work so I haven't had a chance to comb through the new pictures and throw my two cents at it so to speak.In it's present state yes the island looks rather exposed and theming looks sparse but theres a number of units yet to be installed and the small matter of all the area fencing to be taken care of which should 'bulk' up the general island space, the angle of the camera doesn't help either.I'm sure the roof situation was brought up a few weeks ago? I'm pretty disappointed that the station is likely to be exposed to the elements. The main factor being that dark echoey cold feel that churches give off as you walk inside. I personally don't want bright sunlight beaming down on me considering the context of the attraction nor do I want to be rained upon if I'm stood in a queue for an hour and it's pouring down, it would be nice to be dry even if it's only for 5mins or so....Also an enclosed building would retain the bass from any soundtracks or station announcements really well with that huge roof structure, I'm pretty sure lighting would look awesome along those trestles.My own personal gripes aside, I think the decor on the whole looks fantastic and I'm very impressed with every update that passes. :P

As has been mentioned, it clearly states in the plans that the roof was going to be open. However, it should be pretty cool, as it will make the church feel very abandoned and post apocalyptic. I also think with the amount of theming over the roof, it will feel very enclosed anyway. :-)