THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

It may have been mentioned earlier, but wouldn't a sheltered Church give the sense of safety? After passing through all sorts of apocalyptic stuff, entering a sheltered Church with dimmed lights will give a sense of shelter and protection from whats outside. The broken roof will look fantastic in the rain and the atmosphere will be phenomenal but I think the theme really does rely on pathetic fallacy. The scenery will look fantastic either way, but it will be 10x better in the rain IMO. I think the idea of a rural village will work very well as well. An area with muddy patches around its border, and small 'ponds' dotted around really deliver s the tone of the area that is trying to be made. I could imagine walking over the bridge, and seeing the Church a small distance ahead with a plane partially submerged into the ground in front of me. Vehicles dotted around and lampposts etc. will really look great, especially in the rain! I think the track is going to be a lot more over whelming than I expected before as well. Standing under Colossus and looking up really gives you an idea of how bit that is. Considering The Swarm will not only have a bigger, but also steeper drop puts an imagine in my head as to how immensely sized this ride actually is. I know it has been said over and over again, but Thorpe really are onto a winner with this ride. It may not be the biggest, or fastest, but the experience and theme will together make this ride amazing.

I agree with JackR. The public (us) learned of this disaster in a town next to Thorpe Park. We go there to find the town nearly obliterated (the grim and dangerous atmosphere highlighted by the presence of rain eg: something seriously bad has happened here), except for a gigantic track formed from the steel of a crashed plane, and other steel/iron deposits welded together by a nuclear explosion of some kind. Rumours indicate a mysterious creature has taken up residence in the ruins of a church, the source of the track, which it is using to gather the deposits of nuclear energy it dispersed to obliterate the town. Our job? Go inside the church, and find out what kind of alien has turned the ruin and track into it's hive.There's no doubt the atmosphere of the ruined town and the sense of horror at the earlier events will echo and reverberate around the ride and the surrounding area. It will no doubt rake in most of the park, all at the same time conjuring up millions in profit for the park. Thorpe are truly onto a winner. The plan? Start from scratch. Saw was obviously one of the park's more than truthful failures. The ride's good, but the PR and advertising stressed it as "the be-all end-all" of Thorpe's coasters. So Mike Vallis perhaps thought "lets do LC12 the old fashioned way: original with a personal touch of epic Thorpeyness". So yeah, let Swarm come fast, hard and awesome.

I can't believe we will be riding this thing in, what was it.......10 weeks and 2 days now apparently! 'Sorry Sheepie I only realised after I posted that you were only joking :P'But all very exciting and I think we are all in for a real treat with this one. Looking forward to some more construction pics over the coming weeks.

I can't believe we will be riding this thing in, what was it.......10 weeks and 2 days now apparently! 'Sorry Sheepie I only realised after I posted that you were only joking :P'But all very exciting and I think we are all in for a real treat with this one. Looking forward to some more construction pics over the coming weeks.

I know, I just passed my driving test, so I think an inbetweeners style road trip is in order! (Hopefully I won't lose my door though)

I havent posted here for an age,but I think this ride may genuinly qaulify for a massive thumbs up from me. havent seen any of it in person yet but this is looking as if it will be one of the best rides the UK has ever produced. I havent been to intrested in coasters or thmeparks as of late but this is looking set to re-interest me.Jake C

Hmm, so there's something after the last corkscrew and the turn before the inline over the station in this time lapse footage from Ride Guide (well done guys!)- look very closely! I'm not sure what it is, I shall look at the plans. :)Hmm so after checking, it's the fire engine! I fail. :wub:http://ride-guide.co.uk/theswarm/Fantastic footage!Edit: Glad to see you back Jake! Hope you manage to re-kindle your fanboyishness! :)To the 50 guests browsing the forum: register and take part in our discussion in what will be a very exciting time for us!

That's a good video! The ride is looking veeery nice there. But ay, 'tis the fire engine - on which note, anyone else notice they've put it in the lake the opposite way to that shown in the plans? It looks a bit strange to have reversed it in - the nose-dive position on the plans looks more natural!

I hadn't noticed that Adam :wub: But the ground beneath it's rear wheels could've easily been blown away or something, make it look like it'd "reversed" in :PI also like that they've coated the plane fuselage visible for the Flying Fish in white so it doesn't stick out so much. Hopefully they'll add charred renderings to that as well.

Long time no post...I just love to watch it all unfold but had to post now.Construction looks amazing so far! cannot wait for some landscapping.The Racebook page this morning has mentioned a delivery on site and pictures later....Trains or Helicopter?!?!So excited.In other news I'm climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in august for charity... need to raie £2500.Thought you guys may like to help (worth a shot asking, any amount big or small).mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/darrenparris1Fingers crossed some fire is still on the cards as that would create an amazing dramatic effect...and the water jets.I've decided the scariest thing on this ride is definatley going to be the close shaves through out, there are just so many.Happy Posting!