THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

A locus? I thought you'd know! :ninja: It's the centre-point that a body of mass rotates around.

Not strictly true.. ;)A locus is a collection of points that share the same property. A circle is a locus of points that share a constant, fixed distance from the same point. So, technically, the body of mass travels along the course of a locus, not around it. (At least, that's what I've always been taught :P)[/end pendent]

I told you someone would prove me wrong! :lol:Odd thing is, I knew that! I remember learning about a goat and a certain length of rope and calculating how much grass he could eat... Don't you just love AQA exam scenarios?"Wamjeeta has 16a2 and Sven has 12b2..."But yes as Adam said - friction tests and speed calculations was be rectified if needed so the way it looks now could be completely different to March. Who knows? They may even require the trim! :ninja:

Any piece of active theming such as this would be a plus in my books and yes certainly easy to maintain.Bit late with my thoughts here but.....wow! Loving those testing pictures, the train looks so small going through the inclined loop. It kind of shows just how much the track section and supports will dominate the area around the island and queue.I think most of all I'm looking forward to a close up shot of the picture below, hopefully Tuesday will bring us either a testing video or a decent onsite update, can't wait to hear her rumble around that track :(Posted Image

No, no, no, you're getting it all wrong. There's no mystery to Saw at all. Sure, there may be different methods but since Saw's inception there has been absolutely no variant in the Endgame: you die. With The Swarm, they're mysterious aliens arriving on Earth to without unknown plans and a propensity for destruction, and no-one really knows what they are, why they're here, where they are, or where they're going to strike next. Stop thinking so literally about the ride itself and think about what informs the ride - you'll find theme parks much more exciting that way. No-one goes up to Nemesis and thinks "This is a B&M rollercoaster built in 1994 with 4 inversions and G-Force in excess of 5Gs", they think "Wow! Look at that monster! I wonder how it got there and where it came from?".**Please forgive the crude examples.

Ok Sid, I understand where you're coming from, and for Saw, that's the POV of the movie viewers. I'm on about the POV of the victims. There isn't a varying endgame however (despite the first, fourth and fifth films) and you're right about that. But when YOU'RE the guy stuck in a trap with no knowledge of how you got here or what's going to happen, that brings in the surprise and scare factor. But for the Swarm, you just had me beat. I indeed failed to acknowledge the public. They would literally be begging for news surrounding this strange invasion. Just look at us, we're begging for it to open. And yeah, I am quite the literal person sadly. I never see rides from an imaginative point of view, yet I still enjoy them.

Thorpe have really treated enthusiasts this year; construction updates haven't let up!Great to see a video of the ride running, and no surprises for me really - yes it's slow, but those near-miss effects are going to be all the better for it, and this is its first run.EDIT: I can see a (newly painted!) plane, a fire engine, but not a lot of helicopter. . .?

OH WOW!!! :P:( :DIt looks amazing! I know Wing Riders are meant to be more graceful than fast (for lack of a better way to word it) but it really does crawl awkwardly through that corkscrew! Blimeh! Although as BenC said, it was the first run.And B&M ROAR MUCH?! :( OOOFT! If you have speakers or earphones with good bass, during that turn before the corkscrew you can really hear it rumbling, and also during the inline twist! NOM!I loved hearing all the staff's reactions too, was hilarious! Especially during the first drop "Oh my Go-o-o-o-od!" And then the guy at the end "Nice." :lol:Love love love love it!

Pretty much confirms everything that I thought about the ride. Nice and speedy through relatively straight track and overbanked turns whilst going through inversions at a snails pace so you really will feel the wing-rider position properly through-out. That first inline off the lift hill is going to be immense. And that roar. Now we know fully that B&M is back with a bang. What a sound. :wub:The next two months cannot go fast enough in my opinion.

Coar that was, slow. Also makes you realise how one sided the ride is to the right, that'll be where the majority of your Gs will be folks if you want that stuff.It will be course run faster when it's running proper, but I can see now why people lament the layout somewhat, it's rather compact and is kinda over before you know it, and that's with it crawling through, imagine it faster. Be interesting to see it running at a more 'complete' speed in person and see it takes the course. Also wondering the point of the high brake run, unless it's just to stop over-speeding into the actual brakes.Ah wells, still better than any Intamin tripe we might have gotten instead.

Slow!? Go back and have a look how quickly it goes under the wing, then up into the inclined loop and down into the overbanked turn. This thing is going to pull some really nice G's especially at the bottom after the zero g into the inclined loop, good grief!!What they have done is genious. It is very fast through the transitions and graceful in the inverted elements. Exactly how it should be.

Wow that looks incredible!It really is alot slower than I was expecting (fair enough it is the first run) but the speed the lift hill was going was pretty fast imo.I wonder if that was with the trim or not? one thing that can be said is those trains must be heavy!A little concerned with the lack of helicopter but then again we don't know how old this vid is.Exciting stuff!

From the top of the lift, to the brakes, we have a ride time of 32 seconds. So shorter than Inferno. A very short ride, but my does it look amazing. It seems to take its inline twist much faster than Raptor does.The roar sounds immense, as does how graceful the train looks gliding around that beastly track. As from the beginning, my only negative comment is just how flaming short this ride is.