THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

I still don't see how paving can be disappointing. What were you honestly expecting? I can't think of a single attraction in the world with themed ground around it - not even Disney or Universal do that. I think we might be getting a little carried away with the whole 'everything must be immersively themed' thing - the ground is just kind of a functional necessity really; has to be there but I wouldn't personally judge it as part of the experience! It looks neat and tidy and is finished in a muted, unobtrusive tone. Works for me.

I still don't see how paving can be disappointing. What were you honestly expecting? I can't think of a single attraction in the world with themed ground around it - not even Disney or Universal do that. I think we might be getting a little carried away with the whole 'everything must be immersively themed' thing - the ground is just kind of a functional necessity really; has to be there but I wouldn't personally judge it as part of the experience! It looks neat and tidy and is finished in a muted, unobtrusive tone. Works for me.

I agree. I don't see why the theming of something that is under our feet the whole time matters so much. Lets face it, it's only going to get destroyed by the numerous teenagers who are no doubt going to spit gum and litter all over it, so why bother going to the extent of theming something that is just going to end up looking destroyed anyway? We have a brand new rollercoaster with great theming surrounding it already, arguably Thorpe's best work - surely that's enough?

I still don't see how paving can be disappointing. What were you honestly expecting? I can't think of a single attraction in the world with themed ground around it - not even Disney or Universal do that.

Disney don't theme their ground? Oh they most certainly do, with various things like paw or leaf prints in Adventureland or Animal Kingdom, to even tyre treads in a few other sections...Rest of the post is sound though... It's not exactly something that I care much about since I'd rather be looking at the big grey B&M than some floor bricks...

Great pic thanks Ricky. So it looks to me like there is a mound of mud under the outboard engine. This would explain how the wing has managed to support itself without a fuselage and pretty much confirms to me that there will be no more theming added to the forward fuselage section which will be in keeping with the plans.I also notice what looks like the toilets going up in the back left of the picture, which is cool. Does anyone know if the aft section of the fuselage is in its final location or is it set to be moved a little closer to the wing? From this angle it looks a little out of place. Until we get plants and landscaping in, I guess it will look a little unfinished at the moment.

Okay so we can all establish that fire will be used on the ride.Thorpepark.com have put up a new page: http://www.thorpepark.com/rides/the-swarm.aspx Height: 127 feetThe second highest in the park and the tallest wing coaster in Europe - don't say we're not good to you... Upside down: 5 times...again, second highest in the park... beaten only by Colossus... but THE SWARM's inversions will be more terrifying. Trains: 28 screaming ridersMake sure you book you place to experience it first… Amount of theming: loadsThere's aeroplane wings, fire trucks, flames and more. Track length: 775mThat's longer than Nemesis Inferno! Max speed: 92kphI.e. FAST! Train layout: WingYou'll be positioned either side of the track with nothing above or below you... leaving you vulnerable and exposed! Drop type: InvertedSo you'll be plummeting from 127 feet upside-down! Train weight: 9 tonnes unloaded...and once riders are on it'll be nearing 12 tonnes - around the same as the THORPE PARK Express bus

What people havnt been taken to account though, is that it's probably themed (muddy, burnt) even more from the other side, where the riders/guests will be seeing it most of the time, which is very, very, good on our behalf!EDIT: OMFG THE FIRE IS CONFIRMED! TOO MUCH INFORMATION TO COPE WITH!!! *dies with happiness*