Ride Accidents

pluk

When I spent a week working for CT Cole & Sons back in '07 at the start of the season, they had a few of their machines tested there.One was a Miami, and to check the welds for cracks the tester would spray on a spray paint which iirc had iron fillings in, then held a U shaped magnet over the weld, and by looking at the filings he could tell if there was a crack.Tom.

It's sad that accidents lead to loss of life in any circumstance, that has not been questioned.Understanding the mechanics of exactly what happened, the underlying causes, what should have happened, failures in process, changes that have been made since to ensure no recurrence and ultimately who or what is to blame are all to me inherently interesting things.I equally can not understand how anyone with any curiosity in life can fail to find these things interesting, but there you go.

• 2 months later...

Intamin Giant Drop appears to have ejected someone......http://www.themepark...151434#p1151434

I read that one this morning when it came up on my facebook feed! Sounds nasty, although the guy at the bottom of the forum reckons she didn't have her restraint right the way down so that she could lift higher in the drop, and also that she may have unbuckled the seatbelt... Also suggests the Ride op should have picked up on it!

• 3 weeks later...
So this one was not a fault with the ride it seems, instead it is the park operations which have failed. How the ride op could not be aware a seat that had been out of use for 10 years should not remain out of use and was not clearly marked as closed is beyond me. I'd like to think the same wouldn't be allowed to happen here.... UPDATE (3/4/12): According to park officials, the victim's seat should not have been occupied because it did not have a functioning restraint system. The seat was not used -- along with at least one other seat on a different car -- because it was possible that taller riders sitting in these outer seats could bump their feet onto the decorative metal structure surrounding the bottom portion of the ride. The seat had been out of service for ten years.A statement from Hopi Hari faulted maintenance workers for failing to designate the seat as being out of service on the day of the accident. They also acknowledged that each rider's restraints should have been checked manually by ride operators.In 2002, the ride's manufacturer called for the installation of seat belts on all of its drop tower models as a backup restraint device. The seat belts were designed to connect the shoulder harness to the seat at a point between the rider's legs. The belt was never installed onto the victim's seat, because the seat was not in service in 2002, and park officials intended that the seat would never be used.The park has been ordered closed for at least ten days while each ride is inspected and all procedures, maintenance logs, and training practices are reviewed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never found one with OTSRs either.Child was within height restriction (and would be here too). Height, though, does not give any indication of strength to brace against the forces. That's the problem with using height as sole restricting factor in determining who can ride rather than common sense, but you can't quantify common sense so it is generally not used!

Well, I work on one of those rides at Brighton (Galaxia). The minimum height is 1m, riders between 1m and 1.3 must be accompanied by an adult or somebody over 1.3. There are seatbelts which MUST be fastened. The smallest person/child MUST sit on the inside. The bars only lock in one position, they can't be pushed down any more, hence the seatbelts. Now in that video, the child is 1) Sat on the outside and 2) Does not appear to be wearing the seatbelt, or if they were it wasn't tight enough. As for her height - she was 3 years old. Are 3 year olds 1m? I know kids can be tall for their age but then again I've never seen anyone looking as young as 3 ride Galaxia. It says she was the correct height though; maybe the height restrictions on that ride are lower? Either way, they clearly did things differently with where she was sat and the seat belt. And people have the cheek to question Brighton Pier's safety! :)

I'm seeing two things wrong there:1. The child(I'm guessing it's a child) looks too small to ride.2. Those things normally have OTSRs. Well every one I've been on has

Couldn't say I've been on one with OTSRs and Ive been on a fair few of these rides....Clearly the person is way to small, That's problem sometimes at Traveling fairs when they don't check heights and there normally isn't a recommend height for the rides on display either :)

I think what Mer said outlines what the problems were in this accident, especially the fact that the seatbelt wasn't being worn and that the smallest person sits on the inside at all times, whereas in this video they were on the outside... Strange, seeing as whenever I've been on these rides they are very strict about rules like that, and on some models they don't even allow single riders depending on the seating arrangement.These 'Jump&Smile' rides, as they are known, have two manufacturer's. The ride in this video is a Sartori ride, Sartori are probably the less popular manufacturer in this ride area, and their 'Techno Jump' model (same as the video and Galaxia at Brighton) is the one in the video.Posted ImageThe other manufacturer is Safeco rides. http://www.safeco-ri...s/adultos04.htm These are more commonly found on UK fairs, and offer their rides with either a lapbar or an OTSR, personally I think they are the better ride type, even if they have OTSR's in some cases. Below are the 2 Safeco models. :)Posted ImagePosted Image

• 3 weeks later...

From a couple of years back, when what seems to be a mission:space rip off flew to pieces, people have been charged with causing the death...

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/72735

A quite concerning line,..

The court found that several safety code violations in the design, construction, installation and maintenance of the ride facilities led to the accident.

Basically, something was wrong at every stage from the actual design right through to operation. Doesn't fill you with confidence with whatever else is at the park!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As there is nothing reported on here I know its not really a ride accident as such but someone was still injured.

Basically an Imagineer was working on Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris and got his hand stuck in some machinery and it severed his hand it is not in this link but I saw it on another site just cant find it now (silly memory). The ride was closed for about a week or 2 whilst it was investigated by the park and Police.

http://www.newsdlrp.com/en/dlp-13316-en-crushs-coaster-closed-due-to-a-serious-incident.html