Ride Accidents

pluk

It's one thing for someone to be killed on a ride but another for the family to witness it and be trapped directly facing them. Looking at it in the least worse possible way, it is corporate manslaughter. This should be in a "Ride Negligence" topic as it's not accidental in my opinion. They knew the ride was unfit for operation and it was run with complete disregard for safety, someone was bound to be hurt there sooner or later.

14 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

It's one thing for someone to be killed on a ride but another for the family to witness it and be trapped directly facing them. Looking at it in the least worse possible way, it is corporate manslaughter. This should be in a "Ride Negligence" topic as it's not accidental in my opinion. They knew the ride was unfit for operation and it was run with complete disregard for safety, someone was bound to be hurt there sooner or later.

Completely agree - can’t even begin to imagine witnessing people trapped on a ride where the outcome is likely to be fatal and being unable to do anything - horrific - even more so if it’s a loved one 

• 2 weeks later...

What on earth?! From the lack of other damage I guess the ride has parked itself upsidedown in a controlled way, rather than having crashed down? If it fell from the hight it runs at I'm sure it'd be in peices.

In probably unrelated news, a swing ride in India has broken apart killing a girl of 8 and critically injuring others. Reports of spectators being trapped under the ride and others injured in a stampede trying to leave.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/342093-young-girl-dies-eight-injured-after-ride-collapses-in-karachi-park

I'm guessing some sort of KMG knock off and not a real one? Can anyone confirm?

Edit - better pictures suggest it is a knock-off Fabri Evolution.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:26 PM, pluk said:

What on earth?! From the lack of other damage I guess the ride has parked itself upsidedown in a controlled way, rather than having crashed down? If it fell from the hight it runs at I'm sure it'd be in peices.

In probably unrelated news, a swing ride in India has broken apart killing a girl of 8 and critically injuring others. Reports of spectators being trapped under the ride and others injured in a stampede trying to leave.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/342093-young-girl-dies-eight-injured-after-ride-collapses-in-karachi-park

I'm guessing some sort of KMG knock off and not a real one? Can anyone confirm?

Edit - better pictures suggest it is a knock-off Fabri Evolution.

It was a computer malfunction, that caused the tango to get stuck, they were unable to release the gondala arm and brakes after the issue, but could lower the ride for evac, notice one of the riders is stuck upside down ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As the offending ride appears to be up and inflated after the incident, and there are quotes that far too many kids were on it at once, I imagine it suffered collapse due to over weight/under inflation, then as the weight (kids) fell of it would rapidly go back to the correct size, strongly flinging anyone still on top. 

I've seen a similar thing happen myself with kids on the wall of a bouncy castle.

Inflatables and bouncy castles can be dodgy at times - read many horrible accidents relating to them - of course most are safe but things like not being properly tied down or over crowding can lead to injuries (and sometimes worse). Years ago my sister was on a bouncy castle at our local park and the damn thing decided to deflate as there was too many people on it - thankfully it was rectified before it rolled into the river.

Really hope the kids involved in the incident are ok - must have been pretty scary 

• 5 months later...

That is certainly odd.. Air Races have been around for a while now and are pretty popular so if it is the ride itself then that is going to be a lot of Air-Races getting work done or standing SBNO..

Definitely is tragic though about it causing a injury, I have ridden Air-Race at Brighton a ton of times so this has kinda shook me.

I don't know why the major tabloids seem more focused on Shockwave having a evacuation than a actual incident like this.. 

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw some tabloids on this. But it doesn't seem as covered as Shockwave was..

4 hours ago, RobF said:

Does anyone actually know what came of the ride ?? 

It's the footplate assembly you step on to get on the ride, and look like the wings of the plane. It's one long price which sticks out of each side of each two seat wide ride carriage, so quite a large bit to fling off. I wouldn't want it hitting me!

• 1 month later...

Darwin, Australia. Two left with minor injuries when arm of travelling.octopus fails and crashes to the floor. Photos show the ride looks to be made of meccano.

M&Ds, Scotland. Inspector who signed Tsunami off as safe without properly checking it was safe before it derailed and nearly killed children somehow manages not to go to jail. Incredible.

Montana, USA. Not really a ride accident, but an interesting report. Ride worker convicted of multiple sexual assaults commited while checking the safety straps between riders legs. Dirty boy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-48461611

A boy has been airlifted to hospital after an incident at a theme park in North Yorkshire.

Yorkshire Air Ambulance confirmed the boy was transported to Leeds General Infirmary from Lightwater Valley, near Ripon.

His condition is not known.

North Yorkshire Police said it had been called to reports of a "medical incident" at 11:30 BST and officers remained at the scene.

Eyewitness have suggested the boy fell from a ride at the park.

A witness on Twitter has since said the boy fell 20-30 feet from the Twister rollercoaster!