Canada Creek Railway: The Bear Hunt

Mark9

Just been scrolling through various websites looking at news. Now I don't know how reliable this is, but most of the news seems fairly reliable but I noticed something fairly interesting on RideRater:

9 March 2015

• Thorpe Park is currently re-building the Canada Creek Railway ride after its closure in 2011. It is expected to re-open later this year.

http://riderater.co.uk/in-brief/

Would be nice to see this operating again. Never got to ride it, but it looks a good ride to go on to get away from the thrills for a while and will also be good for the family!

Interesting. On my last visit, whilst exiting inferno I noticed that the shed for the exit of the Blair witch project had been dismantled, and it's the third year for lions gate mazes, so that could be going if they're now using the station for the railway again. Fright nights will be interesting with the loss of the Arena, Studio 13 building, and now if we are loosing this scare zone as well.

I'd personally like to see it return, as I've never been on it before. With more families coming to the park, I don't see why not. The only reason it didn't return before is because the money they were going to use for it went on Slammer, so it seems pretty likely.

Interesting. On my last visit, whilst exiting inferno I noticed that the shed for the exit of the Blair witch project had been dismantled, and it's the third year for lions gate mazes, so that could be going if they're now using the station for the railway again. Fright nights will be interesting with the loss of the Arena, Studio 13 building, and now if we are loosing this scare zone as well.

The Blair Witch shed has probably been dismantled to allow access to the 2016 site (which is also why there's the huge blank space next to the I'm a Celeb queue).  I'd expect it will be rebuilt in the same place around late September and the walkthrough to be in the same space.  It leaves questions as to how construction of the dark ride would continue during Fright Nights, but we'll see I guess...  Of course, it could move elsewhere, but where could it go?  Very few options.

As for CCR returning, it's been rumoured for ages, but I haven't seen any visible work going on during any of my visits.  I don't want to say it's not happening, but it really is one of those things where you can't believe it's happening until it's actually happened...

The shed actually isn't in the way of access to the dark ride site as it's not on the service road but next to it so I don't think its existence would have been a problem unless they are going to store stuff on that section then transport it over to the site when the park is shut at night. Who knows (project managers hopefully...)

As for the train from what I've seen it looks like more track has been removed. Might be a good sign as most of it would need replacing before being reopened. Guess time will tell but I don't see much point in just reopening it.

The track round by loggers leap did look as if it had been "cleaned" When the park opened at the start of season but like JoshC. said there is no visible work taking place. I still personally think they have a plan for it though because literally nothing apart from the track damaged by the cherry picker has been removed. I mean would they seriously have left the track there for almost 5 years if they were sure they wanted to get rid of it. Even the level crossing barriers haven't been taken down. All seems a bit strange to me.

Cant see it reopening this season as such though.

Apparently the barn where the farm was is currently being rebuilt.

Could we see the return of the railway and the farm? (Or even a new attraction in its place).

The short answer is no.

The long answer is no, and here's why:

Farm_zpsqnbwudry.jpg

Apologises for the crude diagram, but here's the farm in (more or less) it's current state.  

The green line shows, to the best of my memory, the perimeter of the Farm in the last couple of years before its closure (though I think it used to be larger?).  First things first; there's now a school there!   :P  Part of Thorpe working closely with the community, etc.  So any new developments over there would lead to the moving of a school.

The blue line circle / box shows roughly where the train tracks / station were.  Part of the infilling of the new islands meant that some parts of the Farm were used for 'relief' essentially, and were flooded.  So the old train route literally does not exist any more!  You can see similar relief next to the yellow circle (which used to be where the water jetties picked up from I think?)

The red circle shows the barn that's being replaced (so it wasn't even something that used to be accessible).  Essentially, it's an old barn that had seen better days, and had suffered damage (fire, weather, a vehicle bashed into it...,etc.).  Thorpe still use parts of the Farm area for storage and other things I believe, and were of course worried that it was unsafe to staff who would be in the area, and to the public (since it's close to a main-ish road).  It was beyond repair and just needed replacing really - nothing exciting unfortunately!

Some pictures of the barn in its old state, if you're curious:

Barn1_zpsw1jljoxv.jpg

Barn2_zpsmptc5i45.jpg

*Pictures taken from the plans about replacing the Barn)

(As a side note, it was kind of weird seeing how much the Farm had changed from an aerial perspective.  Hadn't Google-mapped Thorpe in ages, and now it's just mad me a little bit sad :( )

---

Bringing this back to the topic of CCR...  I don't think it would ever be extended back to Thorpe Farm (there's no need for it to), and I couldn't really see it being extended to go round the park more - it would take up a lot of space, and the park just isn't that big enough to warrant it in my eyes.  I would still love to see it return and do a short loop, add in a bit of theming / interactivity.  It doesn't have to be anything big or special, but brining it back would be a nice little thing to help mix the day up!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know wether this plan may be still happening? I have seen staff walking along the route of the CCR on a number of vists

There was and still is no plans, just rumours.

Note that it confirms under the fright nights section on the website that BWP is returning.

• 5 months later...

*sorry for dragging up an old topic...

When I did my behind the scenes of the park I asked them if they would ever think about bringing it back and they said no because they would have to re do the whole track and possibly the bridge near the maintenance shed. He also said the track would have to be custom due to the width not being a normal width? Not alone the fact that only one of the trains works *prior to the ride closing. 

*sorry for dragging up an old topic...

When I did my behind the scenes of the park I asked them if they would ever think about bringing it back and they said no because they would have to re do the whole track and possibly the bridge near the maintenance shed. He also said the track would have to be custom due to the width not being a normal width? Not alone the fact that only one of the trains works *prior to the ride closing. 

All track is custom... But tt is 2 foot gauge (width), which is very common in the UK for narrow gauge railways, and steel prices are at rock bottom so not really a decent excuse. I think it won't be back for the simple reason that it doesn't appeal to the demographic the park is now aimed at. 

Wasn't its main reason for closing was the cost of fuel to run the train? Those costs are currently 25p a litre less roughly compared to 2011. I still don't understand how the whole thing hasn't been taken out if there are firmly no plans for it to return. The only part removed was literally the small section beside saw that was damaged by the cherry picker being stored on it for a couple of years.

The ride does suit the demographic as they have gone for a more family friendly approach since last year.