Canada Creek Railway: The Bear Hunt

Mark9

Why have four seasons passed and the ride not been removed? Surely they would have ripped the entire track up not just the damaged section adjacent to saw?

The remaining train track isn't in the way of anything and it's removal isn't going to do much beyond creating a bit more path or tree space in the area of the park that needs it least.

It's a sad fact, but until they need to get rid of it, it'll just stay there.  Just look at Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari - that closed at the end of 2008, but they only removed 6 years later when they needed the space for access to WC16.

Big companies are just as likely to abandon areas as small companies, in fact perhaps more likely. Alton Towers had been doing it for years, but usually with the still-themed, unused areas hidden out of sight. The big exception being the Black Hole that was obviously a big thing to hide.

I think it's more interesting than demolishing an area and then not doing anything with it. It happens all over the place and not just theme parks, I suppose for lots of different reasons than just laziness as you might be thinking.

• 8 months later...
31 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

I think the main reason is preparing the area for this years new Halloween attraction Platform 15.

I know this is off topic but I saw a theory that Thorpe were planning a new themed area. I know the maps aren't very accurate but on the 2016 map it's changed Canada creek area to the 'old town' and says area under construction. There are also some old western looking buildings by where the loggers entrance was. I know the map isn't the best source but also after all the speculation about a woodie at Thorpe it would fit the theme. I've heard there's been soil tests around the old railway and behind swarm, could Thorpe and towers be getting a woodie? I know this sounds very unlikely but it's interesting to think about. There probably won't be a coaster there as I don't see the room but this could be a new area and they could open platform 15 as an all year round scare attraction like they did with saw alive with the addition of the saw area. I don't think loggers will re-open and if it does definitely rethemed possibly to this new area. This probably won't happen but it's interesting to think about since the area isn't used.

I said more about the location of future rides on the possible expansions thread and thought this theory was possible when I saw it.

Old Town is an area which spans from Slammer all the way to Saw (so includes Samurai, Rocky and all those pathways).  The 'area under development' piece on the map is in the place of Loggers, to let people know that the Loggers site is under development, as opposed to just mysteriously disappearing.  

A woodie at Thorpe isn't too absurd a suggestion since there were plans for a GCI on Saw's site originally.  And if Towers can get one, anything is possible.   

Anyways, on the topic of CCR, as has been mentioned, a lot of the track seems to have been removed lately.  And if it is for Fright Nights, then that's an interesting development to say the least.

3 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Old Town is an area which spans from Slammer all the way to Saw (so includes Samurai, Rocky and all those pathways).  The 'area under development' piece on the map is in the place of Loggers, to let people know that the Loggers site is under development, as opposed to just mysteriously disappearing.  

A woodie at Thorpe isn't too absurd a suggestion since there were plans for a GCI on Saw's site originally.  And if Towers can get one, anything is possible.   

Anyways, on the topic of CCR, as has been mentioned, a lot of the track seems to have been removed lately.  And if it is for Fright Nights, then that's an interesting development to say the least.

I didn't realise the 'old town' was only that area and assumed the area under construction applied to the area and not just loggers. Why the sudden name change? 

It is strange to go to so much effort just for a fright nights attraction, lots of developments at Thorpe by the looks of it. I don't no what to expect for the next few years

• 3 weeks later...

Most of Old Town (formerly Canada Creek) is currently derelict. Loggers is shut off, the Noodle place has closed down, The ice cream place has shut down and so has the hot dogs alongside the long gone CCR. 

Apart from Rocky, the game stalls and Slammer & Samurai just outside, this area of the park now definitely feels like a dead zone. Whilst we may see more action for Fright Nights, I feel area is currently under consideration from the park on whether to restore it and reopen Loggers or to eventually demolish everything (including Rocky :( ) for their next big thing (likely a coaster).

• 2 months later...

The railway is dead. And so is Loggers I'm afraid.

A good chunk of the post 2007 route is now used for Platform 15, starting at the old station and finishing at the second of two level crossings (in the opposite direction). The bridge, rock canyon and Saw areas (although heavily concealed) are all on route for the new maze.  

• 10 months later...

I think its safe to say the railway will probably not return.

The railway has got pretty beat up over the years, and the ride wasn't exactly essential to the lineup..

To bring it back would probably entail a ton of money that I don't think Merlin would spend on something like this.

Plus from my memory it was pretty dated in its final years, so the removal really wasn't much of a surprise or loss.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Theme park Fanantic said:

Does anyone know if Thorpe plan to do anything with this classic attraction this closed season in time for the next season of 2018?

The railway won’t return - pretty much the entire tracks been removed now for various reasons, it was nice they tried to give it a bit of a purpose after the Farm closed but as a stand alone attraction I’m not really sure it added much.

Personally I think Old Town is in need of a lot of work - it’s abit if a miss mash of themes at the moment - I’d like to see the entire area rethemed along with ideally loggers returning or if not replaced - but that’s a whole other topic!

• 1 year later...