Experiment 10 [SPOILERS]

TraX

Really enjoyed your review Josh. Makes me want to go through it again! :rolleyes: You know, I've got a feeling the variations on things could be on purpose, such as one actor telling you to "get in and not come out" in a almost advisable tone- this could be part of the story behind that character for whatever reason. I had the backstory of being experimented on when I went through the maze. This is what made the concept so sinister for me.

*As a side note, I did not get the feel of the Holocaust from the beginning, like others did. Maybe it's the way the actors set it up in the reception scene, but every time it was clear I was being decontaminated before entering a laboratory. The isolation room didn't remind me in any way of the Holocaust either, to any description. Would be interesting to see if they were trying to give a nod to the Holocaust though.

What reminded me of it was the way we were told to breathe deeply and await for further instructions, as though we were being told lies and actually were breathing in something rather poisonous which was not "decontaminating" us at all. From research I did a while ago, there were various accounts on how the victims of the Halocaust were lied to with a number of cruel "excuse" stories as to why they were being led in to this chamber. I just find it chilling and shocking, which totally reflected that part of the attraction for me, also.

I may as well write a review for Experiment 10 from last night yesterday.I was in a group of 5 yesterday and before 4pm 3 of us were already queuing for Asylum. The other 2 didn't like the mazes and we planned to meet them again an hour or two later. After trying Asylum, The Curse and Se7en one of the two boys I was with decided not to try E 10 so all of us decided to give it a miss. It wasn't until about an hour later two of us walked past the queue and realized it would be worth going in just so we can say we had done it (there was also some hot girls who had walked in just before us). :PAlthough the wait was long, unlike the other mazes I didn't mind queuing for E 10. The roaming actors and how to maze winds around the edge of the maze was really well thought out, and after getting a few pictures with an actor and spending some time talking to the hot girls, it was soon time for us to enter. The only thing that made me curious was me and my friend could hear 4 sounds in a row that consisted of banging on some metal and twisting a door lock thingy (it at least sounded like that). I knew what was coming and expected the sound effect to be actors shutting the doors you are locked in, however to my surprise the doors were thin, wooden and seemed quite flimsy . I wasn't to nervous about the maze so after the safety brief my mate, the girls and I entered in the conga chain which I was at the back and my friend at the front of. The level of theming in the first room really took me by surprise. Even though it was some CCTV footage on some TV monitors and a row of M16's stacked on a wall covered in blood, the dark humor and hints of what was to come in the speech the first actor delivered really tied in with the theming. There was 10 people in our group and we were split into a left and right group and before we knew it, we were standing in a smoke filled corridor standing against the appropriate sided wall. I've never really been touched too much in the mazes, but after annoying one of the men in a NBC suit he grabbed my chin and started examining my teeth... The room sure filled with smoke from the roof and the lights flashed on and off and after about 20 seconds we were being rushed down a long corridor with doors on one side.I walked down the wrong corridor so was segregated from my friend and the girls, and was locked in a surprisingly small room on the right hand side that just so happened to be the last one in the corridor. My initial thought was that I could feel a door to the side of me and a door in front but after about 5 seconds I was sure I could no longer feel the wall to my side. The screaming SFX played and as it was pitch black, I was almost certain that the wall/door to the side of me had been opened, making the room larger but not letting me exit as the other door was still locked. I curled up in a ball in the corner and waited for another actor to open the door I would exit through and I was soon crawling through a confined tunnel after a lot of confusion and some acotrs screaming at me as I ventured down the other side of the corridor with the doors alone,I reunited with the girls and my friend and we were soon back in a conga line slowly making our way through the rest of the corridors. After passing some more impressive theming and well trained, enthusiastic actors, we were lead into a white corridor with blood smeared on the walls. A heart beat SFX was being played as we walked down the corridor and at the end there seemed to be two routes we could take. One was a dead end with an actor waiting but before we reached the end of the corridor, the SFX stopped and so did the girl at the front of my group. Waiting there in the silence knowing an actor would soon pop out was even more tension filled than being locked in the small room! We soon walked into another room where a man started barking at us and we run out the maze laughing (except one girl who was crying) and we went to collect our bags.Over all, I think E 10 was extremely impressive and very different to any other maze I've tried. The way it plays on every fear really shows it was well thought out and the tensionate approach makes it equally as scary as Asylum! I would rate E 10 9/10 for its amazing theming and great actors. The only thing I would fault was the actors who locked us in the rooms didn't sem overly enthusiastic and I was expecting them to be more loud and crazy trying yo rush us through the doors.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow managed to go through this having been completely spoiler free, and that made it pretty interesting to say the least... I guess you all know the details by now so there's no point going into it, but it definitely felt fresh to have an iconic maze like this added to the fairly dry selection going at the moment. The only issue I had was that it seemed to end before it had really got going. Yes I loved the tension in being trapped for so long in pitch black, as well as crawling through the darkness, but to me these felt more like they should setting something up rather than being the entire centrepiece. It was still by far better than the others but having heard how truly frightening it's meant to be, it made me leave with a sense of 'Well was that it?'.The idea behind it is brilliant and it's got great potential, but I still feel there's some improvements that could (and hopefully should) be done over the years.

I think I hyped this up beyond what I really should have but some reviewers were saying it was the scariest maze they have done, including the ones outside of theme parks. Nope. The start was great and the actors weren't just in your face scares but managed to pull off intimidating whole rooms of people. Also switching around people from the left and right group was effective so I was only with one other person I knew but then going together in the gas chamber the effect was kind of lost. I really don't find being locked in a small space scary when you're in a group, especially when one of our now group of three we didn't know and was shouting "WHERE IS MAH FAM!" The tunnel was more a case of Thorpe breaking another barrier but it did work. The strobe corridors were good and the actors were going crazy but the end just pattered out. I can see why; it's hard to work out a good finale that works with splintered groups but you should still try! Put an actor in chains, turn up the strobes and even more in that section and get them jumping around and grabbing at people. This maze is very good, especially when you see how short and simple the layout is. In a few years it should be excellent, if the kinks are sorted out.

I think I hyped this up beyond what I really should have but some reviewers were saying it was the scariest maze they have done, including the ones outside of theme parks. Nope. The start was great and the actors weren't just in your face scares but managed to pull off intimidating whole rooms of people. Also switching around people from the left and right group was effective so I was only with one other person I knew but then going together in the gas chamber the effect was kind of lost. I really don't find being locked in a small space scary when you're in a group, especially when one of our now group of three we didn't know and was shouting "WHERE IS MAH FAM!" The tunnel was more a case of Thorpe breaking another barrier but it did work. The strobe corridors were good and the actors were going crazy but the end just pattered out. I can see why; it's hard to work out a good finale that works with splintered groups but you should still try! Put an actor in chains, turn up the strobes and even more in that section and get them jumping around and grabbing at people. This maze is very good, especially when you see how short and simple the layout is. In a few years it should be excellent, if the kinks are sorted out.

After going through, I can kind of work out a rough layout from what I remember... Not much after being locked in a cupboard due to lots of strobes!Is there a map of the layout? I have one of The Curse but is there one for this, or any of the other mazes in that case?

Posted Image

Thats right I'm doing a review, deal with it.

As you all know, Experiment 10 is the new Fright Nights horror maze, in it's first few weeks of operation it has garnered a reputation of being absolutely terrifying, but is it any good?

After getting the usual security brief you enter a dark bloodstained corridor which leads into a small room, awaiting you in the room is a scientist who tells you the basic story for the maze, I really liked the room itself, the rifles on the wall and the cctv footage that blanked out all the time, it gave you the impression that something was going wrong, even though there telling you that everything is okay. After the little story scene you get pushed into the "Decontamination room" which is pumped full of a strange gas as the actors in hazmat suits inspect you. After the decontamination you are pushed down through a long corridor and then shoved in a box all by yourself, this was probably the most unnerving scene that I have ever experienced in a horror maze, being locked in complete darkness with no friends around while actors proceeded to bang on the walls and taunt you is pretty worrying.

Posted Image

I think most people will agree with me if I say this was the scariest part of the maze.

After a couple of minutes of solitary confinement you are pulled out of your box and through yet another corridor, after walking for a bit the corridor splits into two different routes, you don't get much choice on which route to take because if you stay for too long the actor will just push you wherever he wants, unfortunately I was pushed into the route where I had to crawl, Brilliant. After navigating my way through the tunnel and hitting my head of few times, I caught up with Marc, "Hooray!" I thought "I'm not alone any more, maybe this next part wont be as scary as if I was alone!", Well to be honest the final part of the maze was just so, dull. It probably wouldn't of been any scarier if I was alone. The final part of the maze is a let down, its just a couple jump scares and then your out, Not a very good finale at all, I would of preferred it if it ended like Terror of the towers, an actor heavy finale that made you run out of the building, but no, it was just so, mute. All in all Experiment 10 is a very good maze, it (mostly) uses psychological scares rather than jump scares, but unfortunately the ending is a massive let-down.

For this I give Experiment 10

8/10

Also kudos to Thorpe for trying something different this year, it work out quite well and after a few improvements, you could have the best (Merlin) scare attraction in the UK