THE SWARM: In The Media

Marc

Of course people with some common sense are going to see through this, test dummies losing limbs couldn't possibly happen in the first place and it's inevitable that people are going to see through Thorpe's marketing scheme. As for the people that do actually believe it, it will make them scared and that's the job of the PR. This is going to generate a lot of conversation regardless of whether or not people believe it and that will either have the effect that it's supposed to and make people scared, or if they can see through it they will be talking about it. Even though this PR is a load of crap and it makes no sense, both of the Newspapers that reported on this have mentioned how 'safety actions' are being taken.

"The ride-testing phase is absolutely crucial in ensuring extreme fun doesn't compromise safety, and we work with the very best teams in the world to ensure we reach the gold standard in safety, so if that means re-modelling a church it's taken us a year to build, then so be it."To lift the lid on what goes on behind the scenes of building a monster rollercoaster such as The Swarm is quite unprecedented, but we want people to understand the level of planning, precision and care that goes into creating their ultimate thrill-seeking experience."

To be honest, this is actually a win-win situation for Thorpe. For the people who actually believed this, they will be scared but will most likely also pay attention to the fact that things are being done to 'make the ride safer'. As for the people who can see straight through this crap, like the girl Michael knows and all of us on here, we need not worry because we all know this wasn't true anyway. Thorpe have successfully managed to make people scared, generate conversation amongst the public and still make their ride look safe. Yeah, it is a load of crap but it's definitely working better than the Monks Walk thing...

I know I'm in a minority here, but I think this is genius.If any of my friends do bring this up, I'm not going to tell them it isn't true. Because they'll s*** themselves the first time they ride. Oh... wait, I'll only get to ride with one friend due to Thorpe's stupid disabled policy only letting me take one person on a ride (Which means visiting with just one person, too)

I thought it adapted to Chessington's disabled policy which was that you could have up to 3 guests coming up the exit with you (making a party of 4), but you need 1 carer if you are able to walk unaided or 2 carers if you cannot walk unaided. So that would mean you can have more than one person on the Swarm with you at once Lewish.

So you still got all 4 through the exit of a ride? And did anyone else in your group have a disabled wristband? (Because rules on the number of disabled guests on rides and the guest to carer ratio are different etc) And did the ride cater for groups of 4 from an exit at once? Please don't be spiteful because you are already receiving a good service that the park provides, and some ride hosts can only fit you in in smaller groups to lessen the load of the main queue.And if you are able to queue, some may argue you don't need a pass in the first place? This could get way out of hand, and I don't mean to offend you because I have no idea of your disability of seriousness of it, just that disabled passes are for those who cannot or have a lot of difficulty queueing.

No just me and a friend, and my brother and his girlfriend queued. We tried the whole "one person on a ride with me" thing but they got bored quickly waiting around so we split up. My disability makes standing for long periods of time hard for me, and by the end of the day I would be completely shattered and would take me a day or two to recover, something I'd rather avoid. I'm willing to do this so that I can visit Thorpe with more than one person, as eventually the conversation dries up and the only words that you speak are "What shall we go on next" - "Don't mind". I am grateful for the whole exit pass thing, I know they don't have to do it. I just think changing the policy to only allowing one person on a ride with me pointless.

Can I step in here?All I'm going to say is, it isnt the parks fault that your "conversation dries up", thats just poor social skills. Like you've said, the park dont *actually* have to provide this service, they could easily just make you queue, or you dont visit at all. The way I see it is, your in their court, so you need to play by their rules. It's quite simple really, and if you dont like it, well, nobody's forcing you to be there...

Meh, I'm just gonna queue. It's not just the conversation thing (And for the record my social skills are fine :mellow:)... If I go to Thorpe/Alton/Wherever with a group of friends I want to stay in that group, not be separated for the whole day. I used to be able to do that, and I don't get what's so unreasonable about wanting that. Sorry legs :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...