THE SWARM: Preview Event?

th13teen

Does anyone know yet whether there will be 'The Swarm' Annual pass preview event for 2012?I would hope if they do, they would not let in Annual Pass 'Friends', It was not fair last year, but I would hope they do, do the event again because it is great to get a first look at the ride!Another thing; why do American parks usually have big opening ceremonies sometimes including large shows, fireworks or a speech by the creative designers for their latest attraction, big or small whereas in the UK, They just open the gates on the 14th march and straight on the ride? It’s a shame because both Saw and now possibly Swarm will miss out on a big opportunity to open with a bang!

Another thing; why do American parks usually have big opening ceremonies sometimes including large shows, fireworks or a speech by the creative designers for their latest attraction, big or small whereas in the UK, They just open the gates on the 14th march and straight on the ride? It’s a shame because both Saw and now possibly Swarm will miss out on a big opportunity to open with a bang!

Americans quite like the overblown opening ceremonies. And so do I. It really gives the impression that the park cares about their investment and that they want guests to have the best possible time. They acknowledge that the opening of a new ride is a special occasion and I've always thought its a shame that UK parks just open the ride like normal.

I always think that the UK don't just because we're too cynical as a culture. Much like the whole clapping when people come in.However, I'm sure we'll always have some sort of event and rave and PR event like usual. We just do our opening ceremonies *slightly* differently!

Nothing says *slightly differently* like watching Jonathon Ross riding Thirteen over and over again.

Fred actually raises quite a good point. We're not to kind of people to get preciously doe-eyed and idolising at the prospect of a new ride - we just want to ride it a then complain about what's not there/what could be better. :PA good example (forgive me for expanding this to music) is how Chris Brown has reached his greatest level of fame very recently with the 'Graffiti' and 'F.A.M.E.' eras even after his altercation with Rihanna, whereas here in the UK he's had one hit, and even that was a blatant plagiarising of a Calvin Harris song. All this because we don't treat our celebrities like demi-gods - they can't merely expect us grumpy naysayers to simply forgive things that go wrong. It explains why The X Factor (which has always been and will always be an American concept) insists on Peter D1ckson wailing the name of the Judges just to have Dermot O'Leary say the same names less than a minute later - because they expect us to be mindless drones who glamorise the very syllables of a celebrity's name.Anyway, back on topic - that's why I believe the UK simply opens their rides, with possibly a more strategic method of hype generation than the Americans who, much like their coasters in fact, go more for cramming every possible trick into the eleventh hour, regardless of the tackiness and bad presentation of the finished project, and expect everyone to swoon over it.EDIT: Possible bias against Six Flags parks may have been integrated into this comment.

I think personally the parks prefer to spend money on the physical advertising of the ride, rather than a real opening ceremony to a few thousand people at beginning of the day (barely anyone actually arrives for opening - even if this was spread on the internet, it wouldn't have same marketing effect as just spending the money elsewhere).

Bollocks, loads of people will turn up for opening time on opening day, even if it IS just a sea of enthusiasts, there will certainly be a packed entrance plaza come March.It doesn't need speeches from management; just pyro, actors and music. Get a quick 5 minute story going at the front gates, get everyone excited about it. So what if it's a one off, it would make the day so much more special.Pomp and circumstance IS something this country can do (Will & Kate), if the park's started making more of a deal about their rides opening in even just a simple way (rather than letting Wossy ride it in front of us all), then it WOULD make so much more difference. It just up to our parks to make the effort rather than just go, "oh yeah, this is open now, have fun in the 2 hour queue".Also, Garda's entrance theme <3 Why can't we be like that? (Aside from the Nation Anthem, sod that :))

I personally would like something similair to the suprise truck explosion that happened on Blows it Up. It probably will happen if they do have an opening ceromony as such but as people are saying, I doubt there'd be an opening ceromony at all... We'll have to wait and see, but it would be pretty epic if they did do something like that.

December 20th; THORPE PARK maybe closed for the winter, but fear not. You can pre-book your 2012 THORPE BREAK now, and if you book before 31 January 2012, you can bring a mate for FREE! PLUS, if you book before the end of December, you'll be entered into a prize draw for a chance to win 2 tickets to the VIP launch of THE SWARM, THORPE PARK's brand-new ride opening in spring 2012, plus an overnight hotel stay

From the facebook. Make of that what you will, but sounds like the same preview party type thing Saw got to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought that I'd just throw it out there, I know that people are interested in Annual Pass preview days, although I believe that Thorpe have stated themselves that there won't be one. I'd be suprised if we saw any early Swarm days at all.I fully expect that this year, the new roller coaster will open the day of the park and NO sooner at all, AP day or not!

Edited by Neilfever

Thought that I'd just throw it out there, I know that people are interested in Annual Pass preview days, although I believe that Thorpe have stated themselves that there won't be one. I'd be suprised if we saw any early Swarm days at all.I fully expect that this year, the new roller coaster will open the day of the park and NO sooner at all, AP day or not!

And there was me last night in a panic to get my AP sorted so everythings ready for this "passholder day", well thats just swell...... :ninja:

Two of my friends got Annual Passes recently, do preview days usually cost? I know AP day didn't so if the possible preview day doesn't coast anything either, I will be willing to brave the possible mobs of people who will be riding The Swarm. Providing it is held on a day off that is...

I know in a place full of AP holders this is not going to be agreed with, but in the case of the Swarm (and all major new openings) I think the opening should be a big event and for everyone, not just for AP holders. Let everyone come and be part of it.But then I would, as I haven't got got an AP.