CHRISTMAS!

Mer

I know what you mean but all it is really advertising is that bar of chocolate, the proceeds of which all go to the RBL. If they made the advert to sell poppies at the store instead no one would question it, but this is the same thing really. 

Obviously Sainsburys are hoping on piggy back sales from it, and for them to generally look good which won't hurt their brand, but as the primary result will be money to charity it can only be a good thing. I love it.

Christmas shouldn't be a thing till December to be honest.

I'll see you all in this thread in 3 and a half weeks time!

I'm in a Christmas jumper right now, I've spent four days at theme parks covered with Christmas decorations, tinsel, christmas trees, seen a 20 minute show dedicated to the season (and Olaf from Frozen stealing every scene with his irritating attempts at humour) and I've been snowed on. It's definitely Christmas  ^_^

I think it's slightly odd to take something like that (which actually happened) and twist it to advertise. I know it's not showing anyone dying, but I think it's weird.

The John Lewis penguin advert is fab though <3

I think it's also based on the fact that, on Christmas day in WWI, both sides ceased fire and played football(Sorry if I'm being patronising)! Guess it's showing how Christmas brings people together etc. it's quite an apt advert for this year I think. Why not incorporate remembrance into a Christmas ad?

I think it's also based on the fact that, on Christmas day in WWI, both sides ceased fire and played football(Sorry if I'm being patronising)! Guess it's showing how Christmas brings people together etc. it's quite an apt advert for this year I think. Why not incorporate remembrance into a Christmas ad?

I think that's why I personally don't like it! Because it did actually happen! I think the advert is well shot and the acting is definitely decent, however because it's trying too hard to be emotional, I don't find it sad?

If that scene was in a movie, I would probably be moved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a Christmas jumper right now, I've spent four days at theme parks covered with Christmas decorations, tinsel, christmas trees, seen a 20 minute show dedicated to the season (and Olaf from Frozen stealing every scene with his irritating attempts at humour) and I've been snowed on. It's definitely Christmas  ^_^

Well done on making me visit - and post in - the topic before December... ;)

I guess like with all the big 'events' in the year (Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving if you're American, etc), it all starts at different times for everyone.  I make 'Halloween' into a near-month long thing now, what with how there's so many scare attractions around these days, but I don't care what I do on the actual date.  Christmas as a whole seems different, as it always seems to be made out to be a big build up to 'the' day, at least that's how I've always viewed it.

I much prefer just a couple of weeks before where you get in the 'mood' (so some decorations, roasted chestnuts, the annoying yet you can't stop listening to them Christmas songs, etc.), and then just have the day as a nice day to relax.  I just don't see the need to drag out a build-up to that!  

So yeah, until December comes (and even then, slightly later December), I just try to avoid it all.  :)

I think that's why I personally don't like it! Because it did actually happen! I think the advert is well shot and the acting is definitely decent, however because it's trying too hard to be emotional, I don't find it sad?

If that scene was in a movie, I would probably be moved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't really 'moved' by it, I more thought 'oh, this is nice', supermarket ads shouldn't play with your emotions!

I think a lot Christmas adverts now are trying too hard to become short films in all honesty. Like, you want people to do their Christmas shopping at your shop, why would you want to make them sad?! However, like pluk has said, they are focusing more on the British Legion and the chocolate (which you can buy!?), so in that sense I like it. But it seems a bit much to get people to buy their Christmas pudding!

It's just really wrong to exploit peoples loss of life in such a great tragedy to try and boost sales over a holiday. It's so disrespectful. 

And to agree/side with Charlie brooker, it's a bloody advert. I'm not inhumane because I don't blub at my screen over a short film of an advert for a supermarket. I'd cry at a 'one shoed homeless orphan getting kicked face first into a propeller'. Christmas, along with many other holidays doesn't just 'happen' any more. Everything has to be an event to make you feel so emotional and sad or good. Iceland this year are the only ones who seem to have done a good job in my eyes. 

It's just really wrong to exploit peoples loss of life in such a great tragedy to try and boost sales over a holiday. It's so disrespectful. 

It is not based on the war itself, it is based on the fact that Christmas essentially ceased the fighting and enabled both sides to have a friendly game of football. I like it because it is for the Royal British Legion as well as for Sainsbury's. They are hardly exploiting the loss of life in this case really.

EDIT: I just realised how stupid this post sounded. One day I will put my points across well.

Or, it's celebrating the joyous humanity that exists even in the darkest places. And odes it very respectfully with the blessing and for the benefit of the charity that continues in its honour.

In what way is this different to the (never as far as I can tell criticised) Sainsburys sponsorship of Comic/Sport relief? I suppose then 'It's really wrong to exploit the suffering of children to boost sales over a summer.' 

Feels to me like some bandwagon jumping going on. Lets all be outraged at everything!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. 

After watching the advert a couple times through, I saw people genuinely moved by it in our English class (we were studying Charlie Brooker, a Gaurdian writer at the time) and had to analyse it in a way we wouldn't necessarily side with, and if we wanted to elaborate further, blow it hugely out of proportion. (potentially, depending on your view)

But, looks like the man did it himself. 

But this year, the John Lewis ad has been overshadowed by gargantuan supermarket and noted humanitarian anti-war campaigner J Sainsbury PLC, and its tear-jerking piece in which a perfectly good war is ruined by a tragic outbreak of football.

Shivering in a frosty trench – or “the frozen aisle”, in Sainsbury’s parlance – they pause to sing Silent Night, have a kickaround with their German counterparts, and bond over a chocolate bar. It’s all very poignant, if you mentally delete the bit where a supermarket logo hovers over the killing fields, which you can’t. 
Boringly, the advert stops short of showing us the events of the following day, when war was resumed and they reverted to bayoneting one another in the face. Nectar points for each headshot, lads! Kill two Jerries, get one free!

Millions of young men were slaughtered during the first world war – “body-bagged for life”, in Sainsbury’s parlance – and doubtless as they lay dying in foreign fields, gazing down at what remained of their mud-caked, punctured, broken bodies, gasping their final agonised breaths, it would have been a great source of comfort for them to know their noble sacrifice would still be honoured a century later, in an advert for a shop.

Next year they’re doing the Sharpeville Massacre.

• 4 weeks later...