Past Plans

jom222

• 1 month later...

I'm probably in a minority, but I'm really glad they didn't go through with those plans. I'm all for a wooden roller coaster, those plans just never really impressed me.Technology has come so far since then regarding wooden roller coasters. I'm sure GCI would do wonders with such a unique and interesting landscape.

Their was a reason it never went through and that's because of the noise and the height of the coaster. Planning wouldn't get through at all if its too high and reading through I saw 142 trees would need to be removed for that coaster, Alton would not of approved of that.But Like said above, Technology these days could make it possible, but Merlin don't like wooden coasters :o

I'm probably in a minority, but I'm really glad they didn't go through with those plans. I'm all for a wooden roller coaster, those plans just never really impressed me.Technology has come so far since then regarding wooden roller coasters. I'm sure GCI would do wonders with such a unique and interesting landscape.

*cough*Mountain Flyer*cough*

Their was a reason it never went through and that's because of the noise and the height of the coaster. Planning wouldn't get through at all if its too high and reading through I saw 142 trees would need to be removed for that coaster, Alton would not of approved of that.But Like said above, Technology these days could make it possible, but Merlin don't like wooden coasters :o

Good point, GCI are using rubber wheels on the Europa Park coaster they are currently constructing, which should reduce noise considerably compared to the steel ones used on other typical wooden coasters. I don't get what Merlin have against wooden coasters, the safety on a GCI has just the same standards as a steel coaster. And as Benin said, something like Mountain Flyer could do wonders for Alton... :D

This is what happens when the most ridden coasters from an average* British guest are:- Blackpool Woodies- Gwazi- StampidaIf more people had ridden Megaphobia, or maybe even Zeus, there might be a completely different viewpoint on it these days...*These stats are complete guesses, but wouldn't imagine being too far from the truth overalll

I'm with you there Benin. I do understand Merlin's stance on the issue. They have to keep things as mainstream as possible because they want to appeal to as many people as they can.Though in truth, it is companies such as Merlin who do have the power to be able to change a culture and perception of these coasters.

Nemesis was the furthest thing from mainstream at the time it was made, and I'm sure if they'd described it to the public they would have told them not to build it, but look what it did for the park.Merlin need to trust their first instincts, make the first move and bring wood into this century in the UK, I can't think of a better way to do that than a modernised version of these plans.

I can't see Merlin taking the so called 'risk' though... Why build a ride that requires a lot more effort compared to a Steel coaster (in regards to construction, maintenance, engineer training, etc) when you could just plonk down a steel coaster which is arugably easier to market to the general audience...Drayton, Mingoland, hell even Lightwater are all more likely to get a Wooden coaster first in my opinion...

Nemesis was the furthest thing from mainstream at the time it was made, and I'm sure if they'd described it to the public they would have told them not to build it, but look what it did for the park.Merlin need to trust their first instincts, make the first move and bring wood into this century in the UK, I can't think of a better way to do that than a modernised version of these plans.

A 1990 Tussauds Group (when they bought Alton Towers) were an extremely different company to what is now Merlin Entertainments. Not only that, the theme park industry has evolved so much and so has the culture of people. Back then Tussauds' parent company, Pearsons owned CWoA, Madame Tussauds, Rock Circus and a couple of other minor attractions (forgive me if I'm wrong or have missed any).Very limited or vague market research was carried out because essentially, there was little, to no theme park industry in the UK and to a certain extent around Europe. Back then it was all relatively new and relied very heavily on industry experts from the theatre and film industry to know what would entertain an audience. It wasn't until the 1980's that Britain saw it's first modern day adaptation of a theme park in CWoA.In today's age people have become a lot more savvy to the entire theme park industry and in a tough economic climate where a company is owned by an investment bank who expect substantial profits and repayments, mainstream is what has to be on the cards to ensure a beyond satisfactory profit is made.

This is what happens when the most ridden coasters from an average* British guest are:- Blackpool Woodies- Gwazi- StampidaIf more people had ridden Megaphobia, or maybe even Zeus, there might be a completely different viewpoint on it these days...

Having been on Megaphobia (brilliant but can be a back breaker) and Coaster Express (Ouch, why do you hurt me so much on a straight drop), I can kind of understand the reluctance of theme parks to go down the woodie route. I wonder how many theme park managers eyes will be on Voodan this year. Afterall, Europa sets the standards in my opinion and if Voodan is as good as it looks then maybe, just maybe...

This is what happens when the most ridden coasters from an average* British guest are:- Blackpool Woodies- Gwazi- StampidaIf more people had ridden Megaphobia, or maybe even Zeus, there might be a completely different viewpoint on it these days...*These stats are complete guesses, but wouldn't imagine being too far from the truth overalll

Very good comments. You could add in the old Woody at Gt. Yarmouth, too.Stampida is a very rough wooden coaster, as is Gwazi. And Blackpool's are very old and appear rickety. Not to mention the Dipper had the accident. Very few people will have been on Megafobia, with it being tucked away in Wales, and in terms of a modern Wooden coaster - well. Barely anyone will have been on one.Such a shame.