Jobs At Chessington

I think the first three times I applied, I got rejected because I was applying in the summer and halloween, which meant there were very few positions open.As for the interview I just did...I guess rides and attractions is a popular department and only people with previous real working experience could get the job.Oh and I did phone them today, they just told me that they saw I had sent them an email and that they would reply within two weeks.

It's a difficult one. It's very easy to give reasons such as, "they wanted people with experience", or, "they wanted people with more flexibility" or, "perhaps I missed out on a chance because there were only a few positions". The truth is though, it is likely we use these reasons to make ourselves feel better about not getting the job. I should know, I've used those reasons before in the past.The reality is... and I'm being as delicate as I can here without hurting your feelings- though I feel as though you're a decent enough person to deserve honesty... there is a valid reason why they didn't think you were suitable on this occasion. I do hope that you receive the constructive feedback you deserve and respect you as a candidate to provide you with honesty as well. It could be something so small that you're doing without realising and knowing that could improve your chances in the future.Then again, this is coming from someone who is in full time education and has only applied for two jobs in the last 12 months, one of which I was unsuccessful for. I'm hardly the best person to comment on the matter but I hope I make sense and you appreciate my honesty. :wub:

You can't get invites after Halloween work, you have to completely re-apply, so apply at summer instead? :wub:

WRONG! I was invited back to Lego after Halloween.Zero Points to you :o

I think the first three times I applied, I got rejected because I was applying in the summer and halloween, which meant there were very few positions open.As for the interview I just did...I guess rides and attractions is a popular department and only people with previous real working experience could get the job.Oh and I did phone them today, they just told me that they saw I had sent them an email and that they would reply within two weeks.

You were applying at the very start of the season, there are well over 500 positions available. No experience is required, every Merlin Career site states this, and yes Rides is a popular department, obviously. But, if there were no positions available in that department, then they would ask you or offer you a position in your 2nd or 3rd choice of department.You were doing something wrong in your Assesment Centre.

I don't know about Merlin ones, but most assessment centre type things are just a big confidence trick. It's just a balancing act between and meek and overbearing, if you keep getting knocked back your probably coming across as being too far in one direction (and for most people it is in the meek direction, they want people who are a bit confident without coming across as an arrogant arse).I find it helps to remember confidence does not exist, it is not a tangible or measurable thing. You only have to think you have it and you have it.

Aww you used to - I started as a halloween host, invited back for following season :wub:

WRONG! I was invited back to Lego after Halloween.Zero Points to you :o

I was talking specifically from experience about Chessington (not Legoland :o ), they told me you cannot get invited back officially from working in halloween. Sorry, just going by what I was told.Treeis, you say you loved your week of work experience. I loved my week at Halloween too! But being enrolled from the start of the season over a longer period shows you that it's just another school situation full of popularity contest and hierarchy.

I know what you mean ^. I think I may come across as a meek person attempting to be confident; ending up talking to fast and being far too nervous

Yeah, I think this is very much the case with me. I tend to feel fine and confident, but then stumble with my words in certain situations. It's weird. It must look like I'm trying hard, at least? Lols.

Reading through the jobs posts on here, quite a few people have been wondering about having a job there and traveling if it is worth it or not. I live about 2 hours away by train, and have had the experience first-hand now. I will give some advice that hopefully any of you in that situation will find useful. 1. Many people seem to have pre-conceptions that being a ride host or operator is the easiest job in the world. This couldn't be more wrong. The job is by far more challenging than any other I've had before, and can be stressful at times. Having said this, it was the best job I've ever had, being the most rewarding if you put a lot into it. 2. Having a commute of near enough 2 hours each way, it isn't the most ideal and practical of job locations for me. However, Merlin were very flexible and were able to make my rota so that I never worked two days in a row. (giving me a day inbetween each shift to relax/recover)3. Despite still being quite expensive, I bought a Young Person's railcard for £25, which saved me so much money over the period I was working. 4. I tried several days in a row, but it just wasn't working (my days were leave home at 6.30am, get back home around 7pm) so working consecutive days just wasn't an option.So those of you who are thinking that you live too far away and it isn't possible, this is proof that it can be done! The travel costs didn't take too much out of my wages, so the only bad side is the time spent travelling. Personally I'm quite tolerant when it comes to travelling and I enjoy train journeys, so this isn't so much of a problem to me.My main tips if you're considering it is: Get yourself a YPRC if travelling by train. It would be stupid not to!Do not try to work consecutive days if you have a similar commute to mine, you will just get too stressed and exhausted and feel like you have no time for anything else! (as soon as you get home it will be time to sleep!) I started off thinking I would be able to do days in a row but after a week I couldn't cope. It's a very demanding and challenging job, but if you put lots of effort and enthusiasm into it, it is very rewarding. I had a fantastic experience, and would never regret it.

Took me 2hrs each way when I worked there - and I worked there fulltime, 5 days a week. And you do get used to it.YP railcard made my trip £16 a day - it's annoying that the cap has reduced now, as it's actually cheaper (at £12 a day) for me to travel to chessington peaktime than it used to an entire 6yrs ago!

Recommended housing is just literally a list of available rooms or flats in the local area, something you can quite easily do through the internet anyway.The parks down south are utter poo with accomodation, towers treat you extremely well in this respect. Then again, towers need people from afar to work there, whereas the parks down south can generally get their entire staff base in the local area.

My journey to Chessington pushes on 2 hours door to door. I certainly have to leave that to account for train woe, and despite starting at 9, realistically you have to be on park at least 10 mins before that. By the time I've considered the less than favourable times trains pull in, I'm giving myself 2:30 hours to get there. Lol. 3 of the 4 jobs I've had and when I was at Uni have been similar journey times, so it really just doesn't faze me anymore.A YPR is pretty useless if you've gotta travel before 10am on a weekday, isn't it?Back when a 2-6 travelcard existed, times were good! I don't need to go into central to get to Chessie, I wriggle around the outside of London via Clapham Junction. Now, if I was traveling more than 4 days a week, I'd have to cough up an entire day's wages each week. :( And if you're working fewer days, which are not weekends and thus not off peak, it can consume so much of your wage that to some people it won't be worth it.Everybody is different though.

Oh wow, thanks for that Fred... I had no idea! Damn.Heh, I dunno what time I used to leave... But I do remember it being impossible for me to get to the park on time on Sundays. I made sure to put it on the form this time round... Lol. Though train times may have changed since and made it not an issue. I think the problem was the times I would get to Waterloo, Clapham or Wimbledon JUST missed the train to Chessington South that would get me there on time. Ugh!God I can remember finishing and constantly eyeing my watch to work out if it was worth running for the train or if I could relax. Sometimes I'd go to Surbiton on the bus because, had I just[/] missed a service from Chessington South, It would be quicker.Waiting at Chessington South. </3

Merlin has, and always will be an employer of which you need to perform acts of oral sex to progress anywhere further than a team leader position. I'm not going to bang on about why I got the sack there ... but just be careful , you can't trust many people there (it may of changed , this was 5 years ago nearly) and don't carry £300 cash on you either , they don't like that lol

Oh I'm sorry is offering you a £27500 salary for a 40 hour week too much for you? Are you aware how little work engineers actually do at CWoA?It's not like there is 2.67 million people out of work.

Not really sure what you're trying to say to be honest.I wasn't being flippant about the job. The fact is I'm an experienced controls engineer who already earns over £40,000. However a job at theme park would be of interest to me as an enthusiast so I might consider dropping a bit in salary for the right position. This job is obviously not a good fit for me, however it's a good opportunity to get my details registered with Merlin in case a future, more suitable job becomes available.