Jobs At Chessington

• 6 months later...

Are Chessington flexible on working hours, I.e. if you were only able to start after lectures etc of Uni, for instance starting 12? or something like that?

I am guessing they have high demand for staff over weekends?

How many hours do most staff do and is that done over 1/2 days or over the whole week? Thinking of the average Student Worker?

What time do most staff leave at the end of the day, when I mean leave, like actually free from any more tasks and heading for the car/train? If for instance an average 5 closing time?

I'd imagine it varies. Being a student, I've stayed away from theme park jobs because of the odd hours you sometimes get.

Remember if they had the choice between you, (a student with possibly difficult hours, and somebody outside of education), they might well go for the latter, and still pay 6 or 7 pounds an hour like they would for you.

As for when you might be able to leave, 5 is a tad hopeful. Keep in mind that if a queue for an attraction is say, 30 minutes at the end of the day, you'll be there for that 30 minutes, then you'll close up, and then be debriefed before you leave.

Go for it though! You might love it! :)

From my experience working at Chessington a few years back, start times weren't all that flexible- most days would be a 9.15am start, with the occasional 11am start if working a break cover shift. There are also 'show times' during off peak, where start times can also be 10.30, 11.30, 11.45 etc. However, these aren't flexible as such, rather they are decided upon by managers at short notice in order to suit the business. 

You are right in assuming more staff are in demand at weekends, although most of the existing staff would be available to work weekends so I'd imagine it'd be easier to get a job working week days. 

Most staff work weekends during off-peak and then go up to full time (4/5/6 days per week) during school holidays to meet demand. There are also a smaller number of people who will work full time hours throughout the season (for example off peak weekdays). 

Finally, finish times can depend upon the park close time, the department you work in and how busy the park has been that day. For example, if you were working on a quiet ride such as Jungle Bus on a quiet, 5pm close, you will have a shorter queue to work through and a smaller area to clean, and so potentially you could be signing out and leaving by 5.20pm.

On the flip side, if you were working on Vampire on an 8pm close and there has been a very high gate figure that day- you will likely have a long queue to work through past 8pm and the entire queue line to clean after that, so you could be looking at getting out at 10 (as an extreme example).  

• 1 month later...

No, that would not work as it would be a separate contract. If they keep you on over winter which is rare, they have to give you a certain amount of time away before the next season starts, which means you would loose all / if any of your perks, and would have to go through the entire 6 weeks trial all over again.

Guess they're just trying to drum up applicants by lying on the details!

Most of the new recruits for Halloween have already had their 6 week reviews and already received their magic passes. Of course it means they only have 3ish weeks to use them up though!

To be honest nobody ever uses the magic pass as much as you think you would, because once you've been working at an attraction for a few months there's really no impulse to go to one on your days off! Most of them get used by family and friends.

Choose an early interview so that they are not looking for specific availability. Tell the interviewer your availability when you fill in the availability sheet and it should be ok. Lots of people do just Saturdays and holidays but you won't be able to choose your days as such and have to work a certain amount a week, as is the law now :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...