The Swarm

JoshC.

The Swarm is Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!The entire expeirience today was just epic. The queue was 10 minutes, and that wasnt down to the fact it was Rehearsal Day. It was down to well trained staff, and incredible batching. I did not find myself stood in a certain spot in the queue for longer than a minute, constant movement.ABSOLUTELY F*CKING BRILLIANT

Whilst it's not a 'spoiler' of The Swarm, I was happy to find the walls of Neptune's Beach covered in glitter and the beach generally touched up seeing as even today with such low guest flow, the once dead fish path behind Depth Charge was heaving with people Swarm bound.

The ride itself is excellent, even if it is somewhat disappointing that Merlin avoided a longer layout on a coaster once again. It's a lot of fun and due to the nature of the seats, every one offers a great ride. The leg guards are completely unnoticeable, unless you are sitting in the front row where they curve around.

Just wanted to say something about this. In the MTDP, it said that neither the 2012 or 2015 coaster would exceed 850m. Whether that's to help with planning permission, what type of rides they've got planned or just what they're deciding on doing is a different matter. I wouldn't have minded if it was longer, but I'm more than happy with what we've got. One more thing I want to say relating to the layout is that I hope that when Island A opens up, hopefully in 2015, they add some Swarm-esque related theming to add to that turn around. The Swarm is more or less contained on an island, but it spills over in track, and with the second fire engine. Just adding something when the island opens (other than the fences which are there) will create a nicer ending. It shows how the park is still in a stage of development as a whole. Anyways, focusing on the present, I think Swarm shows us one thing - Thorpe Park are ready to push themselves to the limit, and challenge to become a top European park. It shows that they know they need to improve in some areas. Thorpe Park knew they needed a reliable, top quality ride type - the wingrider covers that. They knew they needed to create a ride that is an experience to be around, have a large amount of detailed theming and create a ride which immerses you in the theme, they've done that. Fans wanted a ride that had a story to it, they've pretty much done that. Everything that the public and fans alike have wanted, Thorpe have delivered with Swarm.

The SwarmI can't remember the last time that Europe has got its hands on two new type of rollercoasters before any other continent has been able to get one open. Back in September I rode Raptor at Gardaland and my exact words were"It also doesn't help that Gardaland have hit every target with a bullseye when building Raptor. It looks the part, it sounds the part and more importantly, It rides the part. It will be interesting to see whether Swarm, Wild Eagle and X-Flight will be able to deliver as satisfying an experience as Raptor has proven to do."Six months on, just how well has Thorpe done in their version. Well time to find out. Despite hundreds of people in front of us, ready to be taken, the walk over to the Swarm was just like a little stroll over to a brand new ride. No rushing around and stampedes, just calm and tranquility.Posted ImageThe Brand new PlazaSwarm takes its cue from Saw and Stealth in that has a very large viewing area. Whilst Saw tries to hide the ride best away that it can and Stealth is just a flat empty area, Swarm is full of little things, little bits of theming and touches hidden around for you to spot. I particularly liked the signs warning you away from entering areas.Posted ImagePosted ImageThe Ride entrance is bizarrely next to the rides break run you can see the hapless riders who have survived. The queue is quite a stoll as it double backs and takes you round a very small area very sedately. Televisions are dotted around describing the carnage of a fireball and attacks in central London. Despite the entrance queue board saying 25 minutes, we queued 5 minutes for the first ride and about ten for the second. First go was on the right. I have to say I adored being pulled over the top on the first inversion. That feeling of slowly being dragged under was only beaten by being pulled under when seating on the left. The first drop is gorgeous and the drop under the plane wing is a stroke of genius. It could be a bit of a non event on the right but on the left it is a whole different ball game. I was on the inner side, and even I felt a bit nervous. So the train heads into the second inversion an inline. Bit of a non event compared to Raptor with no leg chopper moments.Posted ImageWhen the train travels through relatively straight or banked parts of track it picks up speed very quickly like Raptor. The final helix and corkscrew are excellent. If you stretch far enough on the right you can touch the water and the forces are strong on both sides. The corkscrew is delightful and surprisingly forceful. And the final inversion is taken a lot faster then Raptor and somehow loses Raptors great finale. It doesn't work that well on Swarm although the near miss of the top of church is better. And thats your lot.Posted ImageFor those expecting this to be the next Nemesis or Kumba they are going to be dissappointed. Whilst Swarm has moments of speed and dizziness, it isn't a ride that will pull your skin from your face. It's designed to be as enjoyable and smooth as possible and you know what, that isn't a bad thing. Thorpe already has two rollercoasters that are forceful (the other two try to kill you) and in a park full to the brim of thrill rides, having a rollercoaster that is just enjoyable is right up my street. I really think, like Raptor, that I could sit on Swarm all day and enjoy every minute. Because it's fun and despite its short ride time, feels satisfying. So now that Raptor and Swarm have shown their stuff, it's time to see what Wild Eagle and XFlight can bring to the table. Your move, Northern America.Posted ImageThe Swarm - 8/10

Haha, yes, he was brilliant! I was very doubtful of the character at first. All of the characters can be played in their own ways, there isn't exactly a set story for The Swarm I guess, It depends on when you visit (actor wise) and how you portray it.

Ah right, thanks for that. :P

Haha, yes, he was brilliant! I was very doubtful of the character at first. All of the characters can be played in their own ways, there isn't exactly a set story for The Swarm I guess, It depends on when you visit (actor wise) and how you portray it.

Was quite good, just trying to work out what you tried to say to me as I was walking up into the station. Something about believing or something like that?

Sam - you made me jump out of my skin when I was in the Church today, I had no idea you had appeared behind me, brilliant. Thought you played the character really well - cowering in the corner, blessing people with your crucfix and such! Really really added to the whole SWARM (NB. Must be in capitals!) experience... fantastic stuff. Loved the army dude in the photo above below Les too, he shouted at me for "wearing the colours, but not willing to fight!" as I had a greenish coat on. Brilliant.To echo everything that's been said - The SWARM is bloody fantastic. It doesn't rip your face off as has been said, which is fine by me - it's SO smooth and my personal highlight is the swoop around the helicopter, it's just sublime! I noticed the LCXII above the toilets straight away haha, and it's little touches like that, that make all the difference. Seriously impressed with the SWARM audio around the park interrupting WWTP radio. The news reports/audio on the TVs in the queue isn't cheesy at all, very very professional and slick - which really sums up the whole area and ride experience. Absolute top banana!! And meh, it broke down, but it was fixed in 15 minutes. Apparently that's the first time it has broken down too, so I think that's a case of sods law! ^_^I can only imagine how big the queues will get on a normal day! That cattle pen queue line is quite a walk when none of the shortcut gates are open - but you don't mind when you get to the front and it's walk on! :o Must also reiterate how good the ride ops were at loading!PS. My girlfriend wanted to give Les Coogan a hug because she felt sorry for him!PPS. is it widely known that LC12 = Long Coaster 2012 now? :P