The Swarm

JoshC.

Generally poor. Infact, I'd go as far as to say SAW is better themed. As you enter the island, yes, there is a big rollercoaster to the left, but a VERY generic tent thingy on the right, shockingly generic as it's an unthemed conference centre, with a well kept lawn...

Forgive me if all you want is an indie opinion, but you do realise the tent has been there for years and has no affiliation with The Swarm at all? You claim SAW is better themed and then set about a vicious onslaught on a tent. Yet surely if you consider the island's surrounding environment as part of the theming then SAW would automatically suffer the same problem by default, what with the rather awkward ninja warrior supposedly sitting inside a lost atlantic city right next to the area entrance. The tent is barely visible from inside the The Swarm plaza, and doesn't draw much attention to itself. Samurai is bright blue and swings around hysterically over the area. I know it's your opinion, but at least be consistent if you're going to compare it. Otherwise it looks a bit like you're just trying to pick out as many faults as you can and it becomes difficult to respect that opinion.

Forgive me if all you want is an indie opinion, but you do realise the tent has been there for years and has no affiliation with The Swarm at all? You claim SAW is better themed and then set about a vicious onslaught on a tent. Yet surely if you consider the island's surrounding environment as part of the theming then SAW would automatically suffer the same problem by default, what with the rather awkward ninja warrior supposedly sitting inside a lost atlantic city right next to the area entrance. The tent is barely visible from inside the The Swarm plaza, and doesn't draw much attention to itself. Samurai is bright blue and swings around hysterically over the area. I know it's your opinion, but at least be consistent if you're going to compare it. Otherwise it looks a bit like you're just trying to pick out as many faults as you can and it becomes difficult to respect that opinion.

Apologies for not joining the fanboy rave about a new ride.Firstly, I am quite aware the conference centre has been there for years, but, I think you'll find it was certainly well hidden before. What you will also find is that if you look at Disney, (who Merlin pitch as their rival), Universal, or Busch, you would NEVER see this anywhere near any of their attractions. SAW atleast succeeds in taking you into it's own little area, once you go under the track you are immersed in SAW themeing, and relatively isolate through use of plants etc. The Swarm lacks this because use of plants is not consistent with the theme. I accept this, but buildings such as houses where people could have lived, or even tents, dotted arounf to make the place look like a town, would very much have added to the concept. But frankly, it looks like a scrap yard meets aircraft graveyard.As for the ride, no, I'm not trying to pick faults, it has little worth of credit. It's thoroughly average. There is little feel of speed, the harness is uncomfortable, the elements don't really do anything, and the front row rides terribly. Yes, the near misses are good, and the track is smooth (doesn't detract from the wobbling and jekyness) but when the best thing you can credit a ride on is good near misses, it's really not saying a lot.Also needs to be noted...

Definitely not rough. Very smooth ride, I sat in all 4 corners of the ride today and although very different rough isn't a word I'd use!

Thus the reason I didn't use the word rough. It suffers jerkyness, not roughness. Jerkyness is the forwards and backwards movement of the trains, and the up/down wobble of the wings (this happens, only slighly but is a natural effect of the ride type), and it still caused me a noticeable pain in my back, very similar (but admittedly not as bad) as Baco does. If you have ridden Baco numerous times, you'll also know not every seat induces pain; the pain comes from wheel flats, which, again naturally happen, it may well have been a miniscule amount of wear particularly relavent to one specific row (again, as per Baco), so, it may just have been a temporary thing, only time will tell!

So the front is all airy, the back is all nemesis-y, the water is all splashy, the smoke is all smoky, the helicopter is all spinny, and the fire is soon to be fire-y. Sounds good to me! Is a white tent really going to ruin this for you?Also, does anyone have pictures of the extended queue area? I just want to scale up how insane it is going to get.

Apologies for not joining the fanboy rave about a new ride.Firstly, I am quite aware the conference centre has been there for years, but, I think you'll find it was certainly well hidden before. What you will also find is that if you look at Disney, (who Merlin pitch as their rival), Universal, or Busch, you would NEVER see this anywhere near any of their attractions. SAW atleast succeeds in taking you into it's own little area, once you go under the track you are immersed in SAW themeing, and relatively isolate through use of plants etc. The Swarm lacks this because use of plants is not consistent with the theme. I accept this, but buildings such as houses where people could have lived, or even tents, dotted arounf to make the place look like a town, would very much have added to the concept. But frankly, it looks like a scrap yard meets aircraft graveyard.As for the ride, no, I'm not trying to pick faults, it has little worth of credit. It's thoroughly average. There is little feel of speed, the harness is uncomfortable, the elements don't really do anything, and the front row rides terribly. Yes, the near misses are good, and the track is smooth (doesn't detract from the wobbling and jekyness) but when the best thing you can credit a ride on is good near misses, it's really not saying a lot.

sorry but I have not yet been on the ride but it seems that you are the only one that is not enjoying it plus you say the opposite that everyone else is saying loike someone said it is smooth you say its jerky, someone elses said yo can really feel the speed you say its slowI'm sorry but if 90% of the people on here say its a good ride and in some cases people say its the best ride at thorpe park then it has to be goodplus people also say that its not s ride that will strtech your face but is a ride that you will enjoy so if thats what you are looking for then try another ride

Hi,Thought I should just put a few photos. Anyone who hasnt been on the swarm get ready to be amazed! :wub: The evil vicor was there but was only stalking guests in the q line not talking in the station. For those wondering about the on ride videos, when I was sitting at the back I could see a circuit board named 'Video' so that may be something to do with it.Anyway the pictures are below:Queue line TV ScreensPosted ImageSome sections of track and a bit of the lift hillPosted ImageSome more track sections (and the sun)Posted ImageTV SatelitePosted ImageLift Hill and the most incredible bit of track!Posted ImageFiretruck and depth charge behind. (missed out on the smoke coming out of the truck.)Posted ImageEnjoy!Edit: Can someone resize these if needed. I tried and it didn't work.

Edited by Callum

I'm sorry since when did we class badly painted black fibreglass boards theming? Concrete floor and corrugated metal are also not theming, the only theming the ride has is what they could drag out the cupboard. SAW is anything but themed imo.

It's not about items of themeing, because if we're talking themeing items, we could say, since when is tubular metal (plane) themeing, etc etc. It's about atmosphere, created through themeing. Yes, there is themeing, which I did say, but, there is not overall effect, no consistency, no atmosphere. Compare it to disney or Universal and you will understand exactly what I mean. You are totally misinterperiting what I originally posted.As for general consesnus, I suppose it may well depend on what other coasters you have ridden. I am basing this comparison on the only other wing rider I have ridden; Furius Baco.And final comment.. since when does no queue have any bearing at all on ride experience? ahahaha

^^ Baco WIPES THE FLOOR with this, in terms of themeing, near misses, speed, everything! Have you ridden front row?(and for those who think I'm wrong because this is not a shared opinion, venture off the Thorpe Park fansite, and you'll find it's a lot more shared).

I am going on Saturday and now can't wait :wub: just wondering, can you access the island by going round the back of depth charge, and is this quicker than going over neptunes beach and past flying fish?

You can access the island by going round the back of depth charge but there is not much difference than going over neptunes beach and past flying fish. Its about the same time and distance.

Firstly, I am quite aware the conference centre has been there for years, but, I think you'll find it was certainly well hidden before. What you will also find is that if you look at Disney, (who Merlin pitch as their rival), Universal, or Busch, you would NEVER see this anywhere near any of their attractions. SAW atleast succeeds in taking you into it's own little area, once you go under the track you are immersed in SAW themeing, and relatively isolate through use of plants etc. The Swarm lacks this because use of plants is not consistent with the theme. I accept this, but buildings such as houses where people could have lived, or even tents, dotted arounf to make the place look like a town, would very much have added to the concept. But frankly, it looks like a scrap yard meets aircraft graveyard.

You obviously missed this debacle then.Posted ImageI do agree with the consistency of the themeing. It has good setpieces but it would be nice to have some burnt out buildings, etc. Then again, all I see in the Saw queue are pieces of rust, some plants and an blue and yellow train cruising along. Oh.

It's not about items of themeing, because if we're talking themeing items, we could say, since when is tubular metal (plane) themeing, etc etc. It's about atmosphere, created through themeing. Yes, there is themeing, which I did say, but, there is not overall effect, no consistency, no atmosphere. Compare it to disney or Universal and you will understand exactly what I mean. You are totally misinterperiting what I originally posted.

I see the comment about Universal and always think of this:-Posted ImageLove the shed.I couldn't really compare with Baco (only Raptor) but I understand where you're coming from with Swarm. I personally think its brilliant. Yeah so it failed to take on my absolute favourite rides, but it's a strong ride for Thorpe.

People keep saying about how it's different in different seats, considerable. But - can you pick your rown or are you batched into a row? I know it was quiet today, but I worry that I will be forced into some average, middle seat.Quite a number of people I have read reviews of, are saying this is better than the original Nemesis at Alton - the coaster which is 18 years old and keeps being put in the top 10 in coaster polls worldwide.Is it really up there? I guess I'll find out on Saturday.:wub:

You obviously missed this debacle then.Posted ImageI do agree with the consistency of the themeing. It has good setpieces but it would be nice to have some burnt out buildings, etc. Then again, all I see in the Saw queue are pieces of rust, some plants and an blue and yellow train cruising along. Oh.

No offence, but, when you look at the towering recreation of hogwarts just to the right, I hardly think this is on the same scale as a great white tent with well kept lawn directly across the path from a scene of sheer devestation by a creation on a mission to destroy everything.... How nice of the Swarm to leave thaqt conference centre. It is a nice little creature isn't it....And also, I'd put money on that picture being pretty much out of public sight? Not just off the main path into the area (I cannot say, I haven't been to Florida since the constructionof hogwarts).

^^ Baco WIPES THE FLOOR with this, in terms of themeing, near misses, speed, everything! Have you ridden front row?(and for those who think I'm wrong because this is not a shared opinion, venture off the Thorpe Park fansite, and you'll find it's a lot more shared).

I understand that it's your own opinion, but FB is the roughest peice of crap with bog standard 'silver rails' cattle pen that I have ever ridden (and WHAT near misses? It's on a rough grassless patch of land).It's clear that B&M have perfected the wing rider coaster and that's painfully (excuse the pun) obvious with Intamin's sales Vs the sales of B&M's more comfy take on it.AstroDan, you are sent to the right or left (although you can probably sneak one way or the next), it's not as intense as Nemesis yet, but already I grey out on it and that's early doors! Edited by Neilfever