The Swarm

JoshC.

Rode The Swarm once today at the TPM unofficial meet, in row 2 on the right hand side in the outer seat, very impressed with the ride, queued approximately 60 minutes for it even though it was advertised as 70. The actors really were a great touch to the area, for instance there was a woman by the split point for left/right hand side. She was dressed as some sort of army commander and was literally shouting at us to go down the right hand side of the train, really effective and quite scary! :unsure:I will post a full review of my opinions on The Swarm after I have ridden it again tomorrow hopefully in a few different seats too, really want to try the front row and the back left outer seat as others have recommended. :wub:

Right, time for my review of The Swarm.I was lucky enough to experience The Swarm 3 times today, the first time with a 70 min queue, the second time with a 30-40 minute queue and the third time (very end) with about a 20 minute queue.COMPARING THE SIDES:Personally I prefered the left hand side of the train as I felt that it offered a more intense ride experience. I also thought that the first drop was actually scarier when you went under the drop than over the drop. The right hand side was still fun although the inclined loop was not as forceful as it was on the left, which on the left was the highlight of the ride for me.Ride elements:FIRST DROP -I thought that the first drop was very fun and enjoyable. It had a good mix of fear of going over the top with g-force once you were going downhill. Also going through the smoke under the plane wing was good as the train seemed to "Chop" Through it.ZERO G ROLL -This element was fun and it made your stomach go because of the way it slowed down at the top. In the front seat however the drop down from it was a little odd but it didn't really matter.INCLINED LOOP -On the left side I found this to be the highlight of the ride because it was fun and delivered good g-forces.]However on the right hand side this was fairly average however still a fun part of the ride. The corner after the inclined loop was also probably the most forceful part of the ride.CORKSCREW -This was a fun inversion which wasn't scary or very forceful yet was still very fun! It was also good because you got very close to the fire engine and you could touch the water!BARREL ROLL/INLINE TWISTThis was fun and a very good way to end the ride.THEMINGI thought the the theming of this ride was fantastic and very immersive and atmospheric. Also the tent didn't bother me and neither did being able to see the park because you can see the park from almost every other ride there. My personal favourite bit of theming was the near miss tower because it was a close call on ride and in the queue you actually go up that (if extended queue is on) and see the train go over you as well as a sound effect.I also thought that the queueline was quite entertaining compared to all the other queues for rides there as there was some scenery, theme music and a fake (but convincing) news channel on some tv's.OVERALLOverall The Swarm is my favourite ride at Thorpe park.  I think that it is a great ride that is like four rides in one depending on sides and seats and it was quite extreme in my opinion. The thing that I really liked about this ride was the fact that it was extreme and intense as well as being SUPER SMOOTH! However the restraints did press on your shoulders at the end but it was not too painful.Thorpe park have got an amazing new ride for 2012 that will be enjoyed by many, and although it does have it's little problems (such as wrong timing of water effects and no fire currently) it is great fun and once these are fixed it will be perfect.THE SWARM - 8.5/10

Let's just settle this Rob, if you want a theme park to compete with PA, or universal studios or Disney, then go to theme intense parks like Alton towers and more loosely legoland. If you want an amusement park that will compete with six flags and cedar point, then go to Thorpe. MERLIN are competing to be the largest park company, Thorpe isn't. End of rant

I'm not being Swarmed until next week and am enjoying reading all the reviews, good and bad, so thanks for them.This ranting at Rob, however, is just stupid. I've not seen the island in person yet but peoples opinion of these things is exactly that, their opinion. No one is right or wrong.You all know exactly what he means with something like a big corporate marquee on the outskirts of an area, it'll annoy some people and not others but surely anyone could agree it is not exactly ideal for the immersiveness of an area. The pathetic over reaction to criticism of The Swarm appears to support his fanboy theory, strengthened further by the 'it's Merlin, not Disney' mentality. It should still be the best. Again, thanks for the reviews, but I think it would be much more constructive to give the reasons for having your own opinion than trying to attack others for having theirs.

Went on The Swarm 3 times today! Got to ride both sides on the front seats and also 3rd row on the left..My incredibly positive review -Wow.. The ride is incredible..Unlike Saw: The Ride, a 70 minute queue doesn't actually feel that long & the sound effects (up the stairs, when the train passes over) are amazing!!I don't know what all that was about 'shake' or whatever? I found it perfectly smooth every ride(although on the 3rd ride the rain was incredibly painful so I didn't notice much else)Also for me, the left side is more intense, especially during the incline loop.The themeing is A* compared to anything I've seen at Thorpe in the past or even at Alton Towers (IMO) The detail is just fantastic from the cracks in the concrete walls to the burnt trees and the bits of glass still in the church window.Also, I don't see how the white tent (forgot the name of the building) affects The Swarm's theming? To me, it fit in fine with all that moss and dirt etc on the roof & it's not like it's actually on The Swarm's island.I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this ride or it's area, I'm amazed! The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the fire effect wasn't on (but c'mon, we have to leave at least a small trace of typical Thorpe-iness in there :P)EDIT:

That's really cool :P

Wow. The Swarm is absolutely amazing :P The pacing is perfect and it doesn't seem that short when you're on it which is what others have said. You can really feel the inversions, especially the zero g, probably my favourite part of the ride :P It made my stomach go over when sat on the right too! :DThe drop is great, obviously very unique and a fun sensation, and the view! :P The all-important question: left vs right! I loved the right for the drop and for the stomach going over on the zero g, but the left is definitely more intense and makes the inclined loop and inline twist more thrilling, plus is better for the near misses. In my post in the Premiere Screaming thread I said I preferred the left, I think I still do but its a shame you don't get that feeling in your stomach on the left. However this is, of course, a positive as it means every ride is different and you have different things to look forward to depending on which side you go. I rode at the back left but didn't try the front so I can't really compare the front vs back properly. Back left was intense though, wow! I do wonder why they allocate you to a row. I can only assume because it saves time with people faffing about deciding which row to pick (which maybe contributes to the quick dispatches), other than that I think it's a small negative. For us it's not *as* much of a problem as we are more than likely to go to Thorpe more than once every year and get to try different seats, but for the GP I think it would be nice for them to choose. Well, and us!Everything else, such as theming/atmosphere, I have covered in my trip report in the Premiere Screaming thread, and in great detail, so er yeah...you can head over there and read that too if you wish! :P

Right its time for a review. After riding 7 times on Thursday in all the key positions (Front, Back of both sides) and again yesterday with the KISS FM Hunger Games competition I really think THORPE PARK have created something special.The ride is simply majestic and elegant. I LOVE it. Hats off to THORPE PARK they have really created a great attraction here, however I do have some issues, niggles so to speak. I don't think THORPE PARK could have done much more to create a better ride experience, however I really think they have been let down by the ride hardware and B&M. The ride suffers from a lack of force which really makes it more suitable to the family audience, althougth like Thirteen at Alton Towers, it has been markted as a thrill machine and either looks to indimidating or has a too great height restriction for all the family to enjoy.I think infact THORPE PARK have been listening to much to us. I don't think this ride system is the best they could of choosen with the budget to suit their target audience. Young Adults and teens want a thrill machine, an intense ride. This is not and I really think this may affect the ride has on gate figures, which is dissapointing because Thorpe have done the best they could with the equipment. With Saw they hit the nail on the head with their target audience. It was an intense thrill machine with a popular theme attached, perfect. I think they have missed a trick with the The Swarm.Many people will know I am not the biggest B&M fan, but please don't 'have a go' because of this post, I just wanted to put my thoughts out there...As a footnote, I am THROUGHLY impressed with THORPE PARK, they have done an amazing job with THE SWARM, I love the ride, its great fun and I really hope I am proved wrong and it does bring in the guests, because Thorpe deserve something out of this.