The Swarm

JoshC.

Not to be a moaner but The Swarm is very good but its not outstanding as some are saying it to be, the theming is great and the ride is smooth, flowing and great fun, but I don't think you can call any of the ride very intense or terrifying, which is a bit of a shame, but it is a very nice ride, I would probably put it on par with Air at Alton Towers if it was not for the theming!I will not be suprised, if by Summer, the entire right hand side of the train will be Fastrack only (excluding front seat)Not to be critical, its just my view.Can I ask, £20 million it cost, but I don't see how the Swarm could have cost 20 million, I mean I could see it being 16-18 but not 20 million, is this because its basicly a Royals Royce of Rollercoasters, the theme or what? (I suppose I would understand if it included the infill of lake)

For me, expectations were set very high for The Swarm, but it has more than met them. I just love the amount of effort and attention to detail that has gone into the ride and surrounding area. It's a real credit to Thorpe, and shows that the UK can still pull off a major attraction that rivals other new installations around the world.I can see why people are saying that the ride isn't very intense, but I think that's a selling point. It doesn't beat you up unlike some of Thorpe's other big ticket attractions - it's just a lot of fun. The standout moment for me has to be that first drop, along with the water skim around the helicopter. Very re-rideable... I'm certainly looking forward to giving it a spin during Fright Nights! Back left has to be the seat of choice.My full review, along with photos / video, is online at http://www.totalthorpepark.co.uk/guide/theswarm.shtml.Posted Image

My full review, along with photos / video, is online at http://www.totalthor.../theswarm.shtml.

Great review - thanks for that! One tiny thing though, I think you may have got your left and your right mixed up.. You say that the left flips you over rather than under the first inversion, and the left hand side has the helicopter inversion - but it's the right! Thought you might like to know. :P

One tiny thing though, I think you may have got your left and your right mixed up.. You say that the left flips you over rather than under the first inversion, and the left hand side has the helicopter inversion - but it's the right! Thought you might like to know. :P

Ah thank you! Is the "left side" the side on the left as you look at the train head on (my definition), or the side on the left as you sit in the train (your definition)? Spent a while deliberating this when I wrote the review!That full TV advert is easily as impressive as Colossus', Nemesis' and Stealth's - great stuff.

Ah thank you! Is the "left side" the side on the left as you look at the train head on (my definition), or the side on the left as you sit in the train (your definition)? Spent a while deliberating this when I wrote the review!That full TV advert is easily as impressive as Colossus', Nemesis' and Stealth's - great stuff.

I dont think the laws of science have changed? Left is Left, and Right is Right.....

I dont think the laws of science have changed? Left is Left, and Right is Right.....

It would make more sense to say "I don't see why you would review it with the idea of looking at the train head on?"Because he isn't stating anything about left and right changing, his point is valid.. Although slightly confusing.

It was pretty dead today, managed to get 5 runs of the Swarm and we didn't even whore it, queue's didn't breach the 10 minute level all day for it, the longest queue was for Colossus, Stealth and Nemesis at 20 minutes. Possibly more because the two Intamin's kept breaking down. Here was my little review I posted on TowerTimes! :PTHE SWARM - Right - 2nd Row - OutsideAfter seeing the pictures I couldn't contain my excitement upon spotting the B&M beauty on the dual carriageway to the park but it really is even more stunning in the person. Because of it being a week day, there was no actors, however all staff were friendly and encouraging the back story and publicity stunts about people losing limbs. Much to my amusement a lot of chavs believed them Posted Image The queue was if that long, 5 minutes. I wasn't sure what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't seem as short as it would have seemed and the ride was really 'fun'. The ride is not the most intense in the park, but it does pack a punch; the highlight of the ride for me is the turn around to the corkscrew past the helicopter. It's a great addition to the Thorpe line up, however, Colossus still remains my #1 at Thorpe but it comes in close second/third. The theming is great but walking around that cattlepen is a headache. I don't think there's any problem with the fencing though, I enjoy the balance between the mesh and wood. Still no fire effects I'm afraid but the water effects were rising a lot higher than I had seen from videos!THE SWARM - Left Back OutsideI was disappointed. The staff were very laid back today and let us choose where we wanted to sit and I couldn't wait to see what I was missing out on. Not a lot. It was a bit rougher, a little more intense, the highlight being the seat being pulled under you on the left side but really I didn't take any of the ride in.THE SWARM - Right Front InsideBetter than the second row. I have to say I'm inclined to say I prefer the right side, I might be in the minority but I guess it's mainly that turn and the incline. Highlight of the day so far.The Swarm - Right & Left - 5th Row OutsideThese are the BEST rows. Some guy was trying to explain that this was the 'Th13teen' of seats (pun intended Posted Image) that to keep hands and legs in unless you want to lose a limb like the test dummies. It had the perfect balance of speed, intensity and the narrowness of the misses. I personally prefer the right side, just for that turn, however, I'll let you judge for yourself. It was exhilarating.

They kept us in the dark about why it wasn't working, there were sighs in abundance as the train was sent back though...

I'm a big believer in honesty from the parks. With this ride, we have to bare in mind that for Thorpe, this is new technology. There may have been a problem with the train which they did not know how to fix or that would have rendered the whole ride un-operational if they had attempted to keep it on the circuit. They did try and get the second train going round and that obviously failed. Whilst it's a pain, the operators don't actually have any obligation to tell you the problem with the train. Technical difficulties covers every aspect of problems with the rides.I agree they shouldn't have kept you in the dark in the way they did. A PA announcement every few minutes keeps you informed without telling you information Did they do that or was it complete silence from the moment the ride ceased operating?