The Swarm

JoshC.

Went TP yesterday for the first time this year and captured loads of photos, the best of which are posted here but the full set can be found here:http://s1088.photobu...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAnd my all-time favourite:Posted ImageReally, really good ride - I find it very comparable to Air, partly due to the similar restraint system designed for comfort, but mainly due to how it's not intense, it is just incredibly fun and re-ridable.SAW and Nemesis Inferno were walk-on at many points in the day which was both satisfying and shocking. It seemed a few schools had an inset day (Woking High in particular) so it was practically a school trip to TP... it seemed they moved around the park in one big group hence the fluctuating queue times.Storm Surge was diabolical, the pads have been absolutely ruined and are in desperate need of redoing - the ride was fairly intense at the start of the season, now it's just a sh!t rumba rapids that doesn't get you wet or excited, a foot massage is really the only positive element of this ride at this point.Hope you enjoyed the report, tried not to make it too text-heavy :)A very good day and a very good time to go as the schools hadn't broken up yet

But you just said they made an apology? Y'know I dont even know what the big deal is for you? :o

Just annoying for them to get our hopes up with a second train for them to put it back I guess, it isn't a huge problem, its sort of funny to look back on now :D

I was also on park yesterday, and managed to get 2 rides in on THE SWARM, outside front both left and right. I have to say the ride is fantastic, I really enjoyed it.The front right was great fun, really unique being flipped over for the first drop, and just a great fun ride from there on out. For me, the highlight of the right hand side was the lake turnaround by the helicopter. Really surprised me just how close to the water the train gets, and a nice bit of speed. Excellent first ride, and I must say very comfortable - I'm a pretty big guy and the restraint needed a bit of persuading, but once it was secured I found it to be very comfy and didn't experience any of the discomfort others have mentioned. Second ride on the front left was very different. The first drop is more intense, for me anyway, because of the way it turns you upside down, and the headchopper under the plane wing. The zero g roll was different too, felt it to be more floaty but at the same time it quite forceful. The rest of the ride was pretty speedy, although the lake turnaround by the fire engine wasn't as fun for me as the helicopter one on the right. Perhaps it was because I'd already had a similar experience I don't know.Both sides I thought were excellent and it's a solid addition to Thorpe. We queued for about an hour for the first ride, and about half an hour for the second. We were also in the queue during the time where they added (and took away) the second train, but I don't really share the same grievances. There was a PA announcement to say there would be a delay while it was added, and whilst they could have kept us more informed, I imagine the task of doing this whilst in its first week of operation is quite a task to all involved. Seeing as they still couldn't get it working after the delay, I'd imagine their time was more spent trying to fix it and forgot about the queue line. I work on the railway, as an announcer, and when there's disruption it's hard to find the balance of fixing the issue whilst keeping people informed. I'd imagine it's a similar situation.Even with the delay I didn't find the queue itself too bad. The news reports seemed fairly genuine and it was a nice touch. The station building itself is very nice on the eye, and although it seemed very cattle pen it wasn't too bad - we used the overflow to the rear of the station and it was quite nice being underneath the lift hill. The tower the queueline passes through near the batch area was nice - the alien sound trigger here is very well done, I couldn't even make out the position of the speaker. Similarly, the front row queue is very different, as people have stated. But I felt it to work out, and as a front row rider it was quicker and more effective than other front row queues I've used it seemed great. I'm sure with time staff will get used to it and get it working.All in all I felt it is a fantastic addition to the park, and another great coaster for the UK. The themeing is immense, and on a very big scale. The only issue I have with it at the minute is how new it all looks, but I'm sure time will take care of that. A great effort from all involved.For me, 10/10

Went there yesterday with the club.Managed a couple of rides before the park opened, and had an hour on it after the park closed. It was about a 10-15 minute queue all day, with 2 trains on, and did'nt notice any problems. Love the themeing and the sound effects.I agree with TPGG, on the fact that this ride is very Air like, actually very relaxing.Favorite seats, front both sides and back left.

Had my first ride today (5 in total) and was really disappointed. The whole area looks brilliant but...I know I'm going to get shouted at, but I found the ride incredibly painful. The vest tried to grate my collarbones, and the bar part cut off circulation too my legs (even worse than Saw) and because of this even the slightest "wobble" was extremely painful, and I got to the end of the ride wanting to get off as soon as possible, thank goodness the dispatches were excellent!The ride was much more forceful than expected, and I did enjoy it but I found it quite average, and very short. I also found the seating position to be more of a gimmick than I expected, and that it didn't really add a whole lot, I found the whole time looking towards the middle, no matter which side I was on. Sadly underwhelmed, I find it impossible how anyone could even suggest it tops Nemesis...

So went on this three times today. I thought it was great, except I do agree about the restraints. It was too tight for my liking.First, I though the theming was amazing. The water effects were VERY out of sync. When they sort that out, it'll be great.Onto the ride. First time I was row six on the outside left. It really pulls you, and I found that it was very aggressive. I can see it being a blackout ride in 4+ years time. My second time, I opted for front row. Big mistake. The batcher, Jonathan, was absolutely useless. We spent 20 minutes at the front of the front row queue before the lockers, in which time he managed to let at least 50 people through. We were even able to see there was no one queued for front rows, and that standby queue people were going front row. Then when I went on, I found it was a much weaker ride, but still fun.Final go was right hand side row 2, still fun, but the restraint slightly painful.Bar the staff member, I really enjoyed the ride9/10PS, both trains were working today.

Had my first ride today (5 in total) and was really disappointed.The whole area looks brilliant but...I know I'm going to get shouted at, but I found the ride incredibly painful. The vest tried to grate my collarbones, and the bar part cut off circulation too my legs (even worse than Saw) and because of this even the slightest "wobble" was extremely painful, and I got to the end of the ride wanting to get off as soon as possible, thank goodness the dispatches were excellent!The ride was much more forceful than expected, and I did enjoy it but I found it quite average, and very short. I also found the seating position to be more of a gimmick than I expected, and that it didn't really add a whole lot, I found the whole time looking towards the middle, no matter which side I was on.Sadly underwhelmed, I find it impossible how anyone could even suggest it tops Nemesis...

I really enjoyed it although I did get a bit of pain in my shoulders, none in my legs though.

Sadly underwhelmed, I find it impossible how anyone could even suggest it tops Nemesis...

D'aww, shame really but then it's okay because we're all different and all that. I don't think it's a Nemesis beater but it's a beater of 90% of the Uk rollercoasters. So thats a major plus for it. :o

9 times yesterday, including the front and back on both sides...It's fab, and surprisingly intense through the final inline, it's perfect for Thorpe because it's one of two rides at the park I get off and want to go on again, especially after the first time...So first time was a 60-90 minute queue due to one train operation. However after a 20 minute odd shutdown the second train appeared and halved the queue greatly, very quickly moving although I would NOT want to go over to the other side of the island's queue. Especially as you get so close to get on only to have to vanish off to a hidden cattlepen... Ew...Went front row first time (as there was no queue) and they had no tickets. Fail. However after some communication between staff (or very lacking) we were allowed through and told the batcher we were for the front, and we were on...Getting up to the top and realising the drop's style is so different and amazing. I much prefer being flipped over on the right than the left, however both are good. It certainly builds and keeps the speed more than Raptor did, as seen by the difference in the speed the final inlines are taken at the end. The headrush through the final inline as well is brilliant (although after essentially 8 times in a row, is too much for me)...As for the area, it's nicely themed although looks unfinished due to the mass of dirt at the other end. Next 3 years needs to hurry up in that respect. But overall it does the job well. The instrumental version of the YMAS song was actually pretty good and fitted well, and the news program showed a great amount of effort had been put into it, especially as it was (I think) around a 30 minute loop. So long enough to avoid boredom.Easily the best ride in the park, even with Inferno running the best I've ever ridden it. But I need to have a think before I put it in the top 10. However it most definitely gets a 9/10...Better than Raptor? I think Raptor's overall package might give it the edge. But Swarm is more intense in ways. The rides are hard to judge in comparison because they both do well what the other one doesn't. But they are both brilliant rides and I hope the Wing-Rider becomes an extremely popular type. Because that's 2 for 2 on great rides.