The Swarm

JoshC.

If you can buckle yourself up in the test seat, youll get on the ride. That is after all, the entire point of a test seat.....

So from what you're saying, if you're under 1.4m and you can buckle yourself up in the test seat you'll be fine... Minimum height and maximum height rules are there for a reason, I'm not sure how strict they are on the maximum height but they should be enforcing it.

Thanks Jonny, that information is spot on!! I actually can't wait for the fire to be working.. It's going to look epic!! I'm surprised that the fire and LED's are considered a similar risk.. Or could it be that the paperwork was submitted after every-thing else, meaning that it was held up that way?

'Xplorer Central' have uploaded copious photos of a Behind the Scenes event of Swarm, which was held for the ECC: http://xplorercentra...uk/?page_id=400Here's the cream of the crop (all photos used with permission, and with thanks to XC):Posted ImageRoughly proposed queues, and their lengths. Though cut off, the main queue line is 450m and can hold 90 mins worth of queueing time. Posted ImageNice shot of the helicopter in the making.Posted ImageBy%20the%20looks%20of%20it,%20if%20you%20are%20putting%20your%20arms%20up,%20you%20are%20a%20mere%20couple%20of%20inches%20away%20from%20some%20thematic%20elements.<a%20%20data-cke-saved-href=The accessible rickety jetty was omitted from the plans 3 days before the council accepted them. Could this mean the council weren't too keen on the idea?Posted ImageLove how casual the presenters look in this mock up.. XDPosted ImageInteresting proposal. Very interesting the original concept was 'alien machines', and we've ended up with 'alien life forms'.Posted ImageComparison between the two.Posted ImageThe meaning of LC12 - revealed!Posted ImageMore story stuff. Love the teasing 'in the UK... for now' bit. ;)Posted ImageOriginal plan to have bits of theming in the actual lake.So yeah, all very interesting stuff. Explains a couple of bits and bobs too. Of course, there's more photos in the link above; mostly very good! :wub:

The behind the scenes tour for the ECC really was great. I'm not the sort of enthusiast who obsesses over the nuts and bolts of a ride, but it really was cool to see the thought and planning that went into Swarm. The concept art, ride technical drawings and marketing ideas were all top notch. Plus we got to see items from years of Thorpe Park history, plans for rides that never game to fruition (including the GCI Woodie that looked very nice!) and various maps showing how the park has changed over the years, and just how much land was reclaimed from the lake.But the best thing about the tour was the enthusiasm shown by the Thorpe Park staff that were present, especially the area manager for Swarm, think his name was Neil but can't be sure. He's an enthusiast just like us and wants to see the best rides added to the park. He admits that what they want doesn't always match what sales and marketing or the development team want, but they always try to come to an agreement. You can see that they put a lot of effort into The Swarm, even going to Gardaland to watch Raptor's operation, picking up ideas on how to make Swarm a better ride, especially from an operations point of view.It has restored my faith a bit in Merlin that, despite all the PR stunts and questionable ride decisions, they have employees that care and do their utmost to make each ride as good as they can.

The behind the scenes tour for the ECC really was great.... It has restored my faith a bit in Merlin that, despite all the PR stunts and questionable ride decisions, they have employees that care and do their utmost to make each ride as good as they can.

Completely agree - I had a great time on Saturday, and the Thorpe team were both enthusiastic and informative. Re. the 2009 GCII plans, apparently Mike Vallis (Divisional Director) is a big fan of wood, but the sheer marketability of the SAW franchise meant it wasn't to be. There's a little hope for the future, though...Will aim to get a hi-res gallery of the Thrill Workshop/Swarm plans onto Total Thorpe Park at the weekend, although Xplorer Central has done a great job with coverage already!

Just to add to the sentiments above, I too thought the staff put on a good show for us "geeks" ;) Really was great to see such enthusiasm towards the project and also the odd teaser here and there. Me and Mer ended up going back to the woodie plans a good 3 or 4 times for a good old nosey :)EDIT: thought I'd throw in some Swarm pictures I took on Saturday.....Sorry about the quality but I only had my phone with me :wub:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I was actually thinking earlier about posting some of the Swarm pics I took on Saturday here, so here they are, click for full size hugeness!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMy favourites I think are the train going under the wing, the fire engine shot with the train, going through the Zero-G and the helicopter and train shot :DGotta love my camera for being so awesome yet not being an expensive bulky SLR ^_^Also, has anyone else apart from me and Ben noticed that the helicopter plays sound effects? I believe it was a radio call for help, or something along those lines. And the lights that flicker/flash inside! It's the little details like that which really show how much thought and effort Thorpe have put into this ride :wub: