The Swarm

JoshC.

You read it on here, not sure from which user

From me, and I was told it by the Thorpe Park area manager at the ECC day last Saturday. I must stress he has no direct control over when they'll be turned on, as we've said before they're waiting on paperwork to be signed.But he was hopeful that would all be sorted before the end of the Easter break.

I have a few question.1. Is there a front-seat (pole position) queue like there is on Nemesis Inferno and Stealth?2. Do you have the choice to sit left or right wing? Or do you get told where to go?

1. There is a separate front-row queue where you get issued a little pass that says front row on. You then join the main queue in the station and give your front row pass to the batcher and he/she will point you to the front row queue where you will queue up for it at the airgate. 2. You don't always have the choice as you get told which side to go to.

From me, and I was told it by the Thorpe Park area manager at the ECC day last Saturday. I must stress he has no direct control over when they'll be turned on, as we've said before they're waiting on paperwork to be signed.But he was hopeful that would all be sorted before the end of the Easter break.

Haha, yes the ECC meet on Saturday was the source of my info too. They are just as desperate for all effects to fully operational as we are.

Swarm's effects were a bit off today. No water or mist in the morning, though the water had returned by the afternoon; good to see that they got it running eventually. Also a bit disappointed that in my previous 2 visits the mist has gone off, and the second fire engine has lacked any sort of effect. I hope something gets sorted soon.Another small grumble was how Swarm only started with one train this morning. Personally, unless the other train has a technical issue (which seemed doubtful), then there's no excuse for the brand new roller coaster to operate on one train during the Easter break. It turned what should have been a 10-15 queue into about a 30 minute queue, and we were unfortunate enough to be right at the front of the queue when they decided to add on a second train, adding more waiting time. I do hope there was a good reason for starting on one train operation, otherwise I'm disappointed. On the other hand, when they have two trains running, the team are doing incredibly well, and that should be applauded!

Is the park still opening 30 mins earlier than advertised?They do seem to open it on one train quite often and upgrade it to two within 20 mins or so of it being open.

It really doesn't help that Merlin policy means the ride seems to do nothing for 10 minutes whilst staff amble about getting the second train on. At Miribilandia the second Katun train appeared out of nowhere and with only two staff on the ride it was amazing the speed they went at to do it.

I guess it's a case of what floats your boat then. :PPersonally, I'd slightly prefer it to open on 2 trains on time than on 1 train early, but that's more because I prefer not to feel like I'm stuck in a non-moving queue. Tbh, whichever situation happened, probably would've got on Swarm at the same time, so it's not like it ruined further course of events. :wub:

Opens 30 minutes early, but how long does it usually take for them to add the new train (when they also run it at least once or twice empty just to check it?)...I dunno, it's half one half dozen the other... Would rather them be prepared for the 10am rush than have to stop loading to do sommat that should really have been done at 9am that morning...

Mostly a guess here, but a lot of coasters need a fullish train to safely run. Could it be a one rule fits all, despite swarm not being one of those rides? Perhaps its to do with staff too. Swarm seems to have 4 platform staff at peak times, maybe only 2 are needed with less frequent dispatch?

I too am skeptical of it saving money. I don't see how, other than staff numbers.

I figure there must be an issue with swarm and getting the second train out, though. Seems like they have technical trouble every time.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

1. There is a separate front-row queue where you get issued a little pass that says front row on. You then join the main queue in the station and give your front row pass to the batcher and he/she will point you to the front row queue where you will queue up for it at the airgate. 2. You don't always have the choice as you get told which side to go to.

Thanks for answering that! I've managed to get in twice today, one on each side, and the right-side also being front seat! I can recommend trying to go for the Right-side, it helped me to just get this experience beating Nemesis Inferno. The Left-side was good too off course, but just not as good. People might wonder why there is so much difference, but it makes a huge difference actually, when the train turns, depending on which side you're one you either make a downwards-flip or an upwards-flip. Also some corners you are up higher and others you are lower. Being on the left side of the train I though the train felt a bit 'slower' than on the right side. Basically The Swarm is two rides instead of one, to fully experience the ride you'll have to do it twice at least!

Swarm seems to have 4 platform staff at peak times, maybe only 2 are needed with less frequent dispatch?

In regards to THE SWARM, it will always have 4 members of staff on the platform. This is due to having 4 separate dispatch buttons which need to simultaneously pushed along with the operators two dispatch button in order for the train to be sent. Unlike let's say Colossus, where you can alter the amount of attendants between 2 and 4, THE SWARM has a a corresponding minimum and maximum of 4.

In regards to cost cutting, 1 train and 2 trains whilst seemingly have no effect on electricity usage , it is in-fact the opposite. Take Stealth for example each launch costs around £20, 1 train has a less adverse effect on the hydraulic oil's lifespan whilst two trains has a more accelerated effect on the lifespan. 1 train means less oil changes whilst 2 trains means more oil trains. Cost cutting isn't always about here and now it can be about long term budgets. 1 train means the kicker wheel motors are not stopping and starting on a continuous basis throughout the day but more spaced out. whereas on two trains they are used on a very frequent basis and so on.

Don't understand the whole opening on one train thing, particularly on peak days.

I just think it makes the engineering team look lazy and useless to not be able to get two trains fully out and ready by 9:30 in the morning. You don't see this at towers, regardless of if its peak or not.

Reminds me too much of chessington where vampire struggled to ever open on time due to late handovers, until they got a new manager in place..