The Swarm

JoshC.

Just a few bits from the park which will clear some bits up I hope!

There will be no additional charge to ride The Swarm in the backwards facing seats.

The park have not made a decision on whether this is a permanent or temporary change. The change is not as simple as taking the seats off and putting them on the other side (as has been discussed!) for any decisions will have a lot of thought put into them.

The rides team is currently working on how the queue system will work.

The rides team is currently working on how the queue system will work.

That is the sort of thing that concerns me. To say these things have 'a lot of thought put into them', but then leave something as major as how they are going to make this not be an absolute mess in the the queue doesn't really add up. It should have been thought about and planned when the decision was made months ago and be done properly within theme (which would not be cheap).

I can just see that superbly themed church filled with tensa barriers or those metal interlocking fence things. Please prove me wrong Thorpe, don't make the mess I'm expecting of something you spent so much money and effort making so good.

I totally agree with you there pluk.

To me, my biggest fear about the whole turning backwards of two rows has always been how the queue system will work. Personally, the easiest (if that's the best word to use?) way I can see it happening is if they scrap the front row queue and replace it with a backwards one. But then you inherit its problems, such as the ticket system which didn't work, not being able to judge how long the queue is inside, causing congestion, and so forth. I also think the backwards rows could well be more popular than the front row was, so that little queue they've got just before the baggage point may not be large enough even.

So really, the station queue 'section' needs modification - and to do that right, you need time to plan it, and time to theme it properly as well. The way to do that is to make the queue section up to the batcher wider, and then have it split into two - one half for the backward rows, the others for the normal ones. And that's not something which can be done just quickly, and not necessarily something which is efficient to do if this change ends up not being permanent.

Reagrdless of what I think of select rows being turned backwards, I fear that the queue system in general could end up becoming a real nightmare. I just hope my fears go unfounded.

That is the sort of thing that concerns me. To say these things have 'a lot of thought put into them', but then leave something as major as how they are going to make this not be an absolute mess in the the queue doesn't really add up. It should have been thought about and planned when the decision was made months ago and be done properly within theme (which would not be cheap).

I can just see that superbly themed church filled with tensa barriers or those metal interlocking fence things. Please prove me wrong Thorpe, don't make the mess I'm expecting of something you spent so much money and effort making so good.

I totally agree with you there pluk.

To me, my biggest fear about the whole turning backwards of two rows has always been how the queue system will work. Personally, the easiest (if that's the best word to use?) way I can see it happening is if they scrap the front row queue and replace it with a backwards one. But then you inherit its problems, such as the ticket system which didn't work, not being able to judge how long the queue is inside, causing congestion, and so forth. I also think the backwards rows could well be more popular than the front row was, so that little queue they've got just before the baggage point may not be large enough even.

So really, the station queue 'section' needs modification - and to do that right, you need time to plan it, and time to theme it properly as well. The way to do that is to make the queue section up to the batcher wider, and then have it split into two - one half for the backward rows, the others for the normal ones. And that's not something which can be done just quickly, and not necessarily something which is efficient to do if this change ends up not being permanent.

Reagrdless of what I think of select rows being turned backwards, I fear that the queue system in general could end up becoming a real nightmare. I just hope my fears go unfounded.

I didn't realise Thorpe opened tomorrow and not in a month and a half.

Just saying they have time to think all this through. On the day if it's bad then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but they could have thought of everything else the the last thing to do is the queue.

Might be giving the staff a bit too much credit hun ;)

Problem is, they couldn't even do a front row queue right, and whilst they say it won't be an upcharge, you can bet your left arm they'll have a Fastrack for it...

It'll be a logistical throughout lowering nightmare is my prediction...

I can see exactly where you're coming from. Thorpe have made this decision and clearly not thought about the impact it will have on the queues (when will they learn, they'll never change, forever rushing into decisions and forgetting some important factors). As if waiting times are not long enough already!

Personally,I wonder why change the back rows at all? Yeah, The Swarm is the greatest ride Merlin have installed in years, it's been a success, and the ride experience is brilliant, facing forwards left or right side. And going backwards could be interesting too. I'll try it once, and even if I like it and the queueing system does work fine, I'll probably stick to normal seats.

The park opens in just under 2 months, that is more than enough time to make a decision on how this will be organised. I understand people are critical on here, but I cannot see the park opening the ride with some sort of free-for-all system of queueing.

Normally I'd agree here. However, the fact that the park say a lot of thought is put into decisions, but the rides team are working on how to actually make the queueing system work (when the idea was first seriously thought of likely a few months ago at least) makes me a bit concerned, especially when that's been my biggest concern.

The fact that it's the rides team working out how to do it makes me doubt we'll see any major modifications to the queue itself (as in, the addition / removal of pemanent fencing). Personally, I would have thought that would have been the best option for this, but oh well. I'm more than happy to proven wrong though, and hope that I am of course. I just wouldn't have thought that how the queueing of this will work would have been the last thing to be sorted out.

I didn't realise Thorpe opened tomorrow and not in a month and a half.

Just saying they have time to think all this through. On the day if it's bad then I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but they could have thought of everything else the the last thing to do is the queue.

How long do you think it takes to design, commission, make, install and get H+S/building regs clearance for well themed pieces. I'm not saying it won't be done well or on time or in theme or anything. I'm just saying I don't trust them not to screw it up especially in the context of how misguided I think this whole idea is and that they appear to have only just started thinking about it.

Also worth saying I will probably actually enjoy the backwards sensation and will give it a go if I'm there. But that doesn't change my opinion that it is a stupid thing to do.

How long do you think it takes to design, commission, make, install and get H+S/building regs clearance for well themed pieces. I'm not saying it won't be done well or on time or in theme or anything. I'm just saying I don't trust them not to screw it up especially in the context of how misguided I think this whole idea is and that they appear to have only just started thinking about it.

Agreed. There's other things I'm looking more forward to at the park this year.

I'm seriously excited for this.

Just wondering about the disabled seating though, if we will still be at the back or the last row facing forwards. I could see facing backwards making getting off the train quite awkward in an emergency situation (Say for example if the train stopped on the lift hill) for some people with disabilities which is making me wonder. I hope I do get to try it though seeing as I've never had the chance to ride in the front/left side.

Okay the park have a strong disabled policy and all major attraction's have designated seats for disabled guests who must adhere to the rules as well as staff. No Likey No Ridey. Generally you would sit at the back of the trains on coasters so you have the least length to walk whether it be on a brake run cat walk or down the steep lift stairs.

Whoever let you on the trains wherever you wanted is an idiot who doesn't value your safety and comfort.