The Swarm

JoshC.

Thorpe's really lacking atmosphere at it stands, the chart music is awful, furthermore, It seems they don't have much regard for families (the people with the £) and aiming the park for a target market for those who don't have a great deal of money when they're students. It's riddled with chavs and reckless youths (myself being one of those :P) and doesn't make it a pleasant place to visit.

Read what I actually quoted on, I was aiming mainly towards the bold parts.

Alex also said this, which is why I said about it being the same 10-15 years ago.

'hi, we're going to over-charge you to get in, but oh no, we won't stop there, we'll also make your day a disappointment too! Have a nice day - oh, and don't forget to buy fast track'.

I've just quoted what I originally said. So, no.

Did you actually go to Thorpe around 1998-2003? Because if not, how do you know what it was like?

I did go during those years, and previous years to that. Granted, I was quite young during some of those years, but I don't think that makes what I'm trying to say any less valid, even if I didn't go.

I'm simply asking for a bit more, in case I've misunderstood you or to see why you think that? There's no need to be somewhat rude.

I'm not seeing how it was like that; you aren't explaining yourself - that's what I'mn trying to say. I know that I wouldn't have visted half as often as I did if the park was not taking into account families and apparently trying to make the day out a dissapointment.

If I remember correctly, during 1998-2003, adult tickets were reasonable, probably costing in the region of £25-£33 during that era. The park had a small selection of thrill rides (six 1.4m rides I believe, and only about 4 'proper thrill rides' at a maximum). Most of the rides and investments were aimed towards families (1998 - Wet Wet Wet, 1999 - Pirates 4D, 2000 - Tidal Wave, 2001 - Vortex, Detonator, Zodiac, 2002 - Colossus and Rumba Rapids retheme, 2003 - Inferno, Quantum, Eclipse, so 4 thrill investments to 7 family ones). They had shows, the farm and family events which everyone could enjoy. Fastrack wasn't even introduced until about 2001, and didn't cost anything until 2004. In 1997, the park won award(s) for being the best family park in the UK (I think; certainly one an award along those lines). As I've said, it was the prime time for families - it had something for everyone. Sure, it was developing into the thrill park we have today, but 10-15 years ago, it was not like that.

Probably best to stop clogging up the Swarm thread with this now. Best to continue the discussion somewhere more suitable, or PM me if you like.

Read what I actually quoted on, I was aiming mainly towards the bold parts.

Alex also said this, which is why I said about it being the same 10-15 years ago.

Right I have to just say this, if you want people to understand your posts my darling then when you are replying to certain things, bold them in your first post. Not after someones replied and then go 'oh but I was replying to this part' just a little hint that as smart as we all seem, we're not psychic.

OK Mia, I shall try to be more clear*. Thankyou very much!

Josh, you've just answered you're own question so you can stop questioning me now, and like you say, best to stop clogging up this thread.

Can start with getting the grammar right.

Is there a known issue with removing parts of quotes, this seems to be what is causing some confusion.

I still enjoy going Thorpe, not doubt about it, I realised how negative that post sounded, as there is a lot Thorpe does get right and have done already. I don't agree with saying it wasn't family orientated back in those days, I used to go there with my family a lot and used to love going to the farm and such. I still love it, I just feel the atmosphere has been taken away. And I hope the rumours aren't true about NWO being themed to Ministry of Sound ugh

I still enjoy going Thorpe, not doubt about it, I realised how negative that post sounded, as there is a lot Thorpe does get right and have done already. I don't agree with saying it wasn't family orientated back in those days, I used to go there with my family a lot and used to love going to the farm and such. I still love it, I just feel the atmosphere has been taken away. And I hope the rumours aren't true about NWO being themed to Ministry of Sound ugh

I agree with you in the fact that no matter what I still enjoy it. Someone said to me don't you get bored but at the end of the day no I don't because I like Thorpe, rides etc are a hobby/passion of mine so no I don't get bored of watching the sky appear on Inferno, I don't get bored of watching the train disappear on Swarm or just walking around Stealth plaza. I have many great memories there and despite all the flaws I can look past them and just have a good day out with friends.

I agree with you in the fact that no matter what I still enjoy it. Someone said to me don't you get bored but at the end of the day no I don't because I like Thorpe, rides etc are a hobby/passion of mine so no I don't get bored of watching the sky appear on Inferno, I don't get bored of watching the train disappear on Swarm or just walking around Stealth plaza. I have many great memories there and despite all the flaws I can look past them and just have a good day out with friends.

I think because I'm really fond of Thorpe is that I get annoyed when silly decisions (in my eyes) are made when they have SO much potential. I don't like hearing people from the GP or my friends say 'it's rubbish, always busy' because I kinda feel responsible in a strange sort of way? Would never pass an opportunity of going, I just hope they can put back into the park and I know I've said this about 3 times now in different ways, but I just want them to acknowledge and appreciate their customers. I'm dedicated regardless, along with most enthusiasts, but that doesn't mean the GP are.

Out of all the objects they could have used... why a billboard?

A theme is supposed to be enticing and fun, not... bland and boring. I don't understand all this huge praise for The Swarm's theming anyway. Yes, it's good simply because there is theming, but there are more creative ways to have a "devastation" theme than just plonk old vehicles around. It's not as if people have always wanted to fly around a junkyard. The most interesting part is the church station because of the religious connotations with the 'end of the world' concept, and the irony that the swarm has devastated the building.

The Swarm is a favourite of mine because the ride itself is a new experience, but why some people argue it has the "best theming in the UK" I don't know. And this billboard is another example of thinking firmly inside the box.