The Swarm

JoshC.

Going a touch off topic (ish) but I remember in the Good Old Daysâ„¢ of Chessington, when I was about 5, having the fear of death in me in the Vampire station as the loaders said you only had 30 seconds to get in your seat or the train behind would crash into the one in the station :P

Good tactic :P although with Thorpe's usual crowd it'd probably encourage them to take even longer

1 train again today... queued from the in queue shop with all shortcuts, and waited about half hour just because of 1 train operation, such a pain as all coasters were pretty much 30-45 minutes all day, and flats were like 5 or walk on!

This is the reason I've only been to Thorpe once this year. I don't see why I should make the effort to come down there if they're going to make me queue far longer than necessary by running everything on low capacity. If I'm going to have to queue half an hour I'd much rather it be in a queue that moves at a reasonable speed.

Agreed. It's pretty simple to sort between rides with good/bad throughput these days though! :P

Great Throughput:

• SAW - The Ride
  • X
  • Loggers Leap
  • Rumba Rapids (sometimes)

Not-so-great Throughput:

• Colossus
  • Nemesis Inferno
  • THE SWARM

Hmm...

The Swarm has an average hourly throughput of 1000-1100 (The highest recorded is something around 1250, although recently a new record of 47 trains in one hour could mean a throughput of up to 1316) 

X has an average throughput of 450-550 (The highest recorded back in my days on the ride was just over 700, with 4 trains)

Hmm... 

When it comes to throughputs you can't physically say "Oh Nemesis Inferno has bad throughputs this year", seeing as the rides function has never changed, the throughput is still able to get well over 1000 pph. You would be better of saying the staffing on Nemesis Inferno are not utilising the ride to its full potential.

Literally, it angers me when people say 'these rides don't have good throughputs',

The ride is MORE than capable of getting a high throughput, however they are not being utilised in order to get the high throughput.

Hmm...

The Swarm has an average hourly throughput of 1000-1100 (The highest recorded is something around 1250, although recently a new record of 47 trains in one hour could mean a throughput of up to 1316) 

X has an average throughput of 450-550 (The highest recorded back in my days on the ride was just over 700, with 4 trains)

Hmm... 

When it comes to throughputs you can't physically say "Oh Nemesis Inferno has bad throughputs this year", seeing as the rides function has never changed, the throughput is still able to get well over 1000 pph. You would be better of saying the staffing on Nemesis Inferno are not utilising the ride to its full potential.

Literally, it angers me when people say 'these rides don't have good throughputs',

The ride is MORE than capable of getting a high throughput, however they are not being utilised in order to get the high throughput.

If I'm wrong...then mistakes were made! :P

I do love Thorpes excuse for not running two trains. Energy efficiency.. yes if you were sending them completely empty, but considering the cost of that lifthill chain isn't really costing that much in the scale of things... it's far better to have guest satisfaction over saving the pennies.

The throughput argument was fun btw.

I do love Thorpes excuse for not running two trains. Energy efficiency.. yes if you were sending them completely empty, but considering the cost of that lifthill chain isn't really costing that much in the scale of things... it's far better to have guest satisfaction over saving the pennies.

The throughput argument was fun btw.

Its not just the chain lift.

It puts more where and tear of the carriage.. = Meaning it needs to be looked at sooner = Money buying worn out bits...

Its not just the chain lift.

It puts more where and tear of the carriage.. = Meaning it needs to be looked at sooner = Money buying worn out bits...

Not true for B&M at least. B&M's cost for the ride includes things like that, and major repairals. B&M are so well hooked up with their rides that they can immediately tell when a problem is, as quickly as those working on the ride in the park, and can dispatch and deliver spare parts within days. It just saves a little hassle in the long run, but otherwise it seems kinda pointless.

Wikipedia states X takes 1000pph:

"Capacity: 1,000 riders per hour"

I see what you mean that it makes much lower, I reckon it makes in the region of around 600-700pph on a good day(1-2trains dispatched per minute).

What I don't like about X is the popularity to throughput ratio, on a busy day a month or so back it had a 2 hour wait(despite saying 30mins I worked it out as the whole outdoor section was full). I know it's good that it's popular with the families but 2 hours for such a short ride which isn't even that exciting really isn't worth it. I can only bear about a 5-10min wait for X but I had to wait 45mins once and was really disappointed.

Surely rides built by a high market designer such as B&M would be designed to generally* endure the wear and tear of an average season of operation?

Or am I just thinking sensibly?

*This is of course ignoring potential issues that may suddenly crop up in a train unexpectedly, as things do in mechanical components...

Doesn't matter how many are on track, only how frequently a train is dispatched. There could be 30 trains in there, but the throughput will rely on how many leave the station during a given timeframe.

Yes I know that, what I meant was that there are more than two trains so that's 30 or 40 people (provided that operations are good, which I'm not sure if they are on that as you can't really tell).