The Swarm

JoshC.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Each to their own thoughts but for me it is the weakest Wingrider I've been on (out of four). I'd put Raptor, Flug and Gatekeeper quite far above it - and Gatekeeper is a 'meh' coaster. Swarm is a ride that I could happily not ride and not miss; and I think adding VR to it may actually add something to the ride overall. I mean, out of all of Thorpe's rides; if/when it happens, I'd be happy with it to go on Swarm.

Well I guess they couldn't give VR to Colossus or Saw as the heavy amount of concussions lawsuits Merlin would face.

Though quite honestly I really don't think VR is a good idea for Swarm, as right now it sits as a fairly decent throughput ride in the lineup, as well as one of the more reliable coasters.

Furthermore, I think Merlin have learnt their lesson when it comes to VR.. Galactica and DBGT haven't exactly had the smoothest of lifes right?

I'm not Swarm's biggest fan, I do think its fairly forceless (bar the wing drop), and the layout is too short, but ruining its reliability and throughput would be actually a idiotic decision IMO.

Both of your opinions on Swarm are probably in sync with guests in general and why it's rumoured to get some kind of gimmick to try and bolster its ratings. It makes sense that out of all the coasters at Thorpe, its one of the B&M"s that get it and I've noticed a slight resurgence of love for Inferno of late. It will just annoy all of us who waited for Swarm to quieten down to have a ride because that queue will never ever come down now. Operationally, VR destroys any throughput. I've heard that 10 minute dispatches on Kraken are not uncommon, that ride must be at least double the ride time of Swarm.

It really highlights how desperate Merlin are to try and make everything they do a 'success'. Ironically, Swarm which is a ride that whilst never really hitting the mark with the general public, is the more valiant attempt to make a ride with a story and cohesive theming. Even if it fails on this, its definitely a better step then things like Storm Surge.

DBGTROTD's merch is reduced because they'll be adding another room - and words to the attraction's name - in 2018 too :lol:

I would hate Swarm to have VR - if it did, all those near misses and theming - which, rolling news channel aside, is the best in the park - would be missed. What on earth would be the point of that? 

Maybe they'll just call it Swarm Blaster and stick guns in front of you somehow.

Don't get me wrong I don't love SWARM but I don't hate it either. But it's definitely on the bottom, debatably sharing a place with Gatekeeper (albeit GK is a touch more interesting). I don't really see the near misses on SWARM just aways felt they missed the mark when you compare to the tear through son Raptor.

But then I feel Flug and Gatekeeper show you don't have to have them to make the coaster good; but for me, Swarm is just meh.

Pretty certain that if DBGT and Swarm are now discounting their items, it must mean they are making way for new stock next year more than anything.

Or, another theory could be that maybe sales in both those stores haven't been as good as hoped? As a result, they are scheduled to be closed and any excess stock moved to the dome's store perhaps?

They could easily turn the container outside Swarm into something else or just simply a storage crate, and with DBGT, use the space in the shop for another room to add to the experience for next year perhaps?

If Colossus or Inferno's shops start discounting, that theory can then be thrown out! :lol:

16 hours ago, TPC said:

Why is everyone now thinking swarm is getting vr? It's a sign just showing some merchandise is discounted...

This is true. But reduced merch before has meant changes/removal (though that's not applicable obviously in this case) for the next season.

The Swarm medal is generic and doesn't exactly take up lots of stock space - and there are medals for other rides too, so if they are stopping selling those medals, you'd probably expect them to be reduced for all rides not just Swarm...

• 6 months later...

I’m going to Thorpe Park on the 24th and I’m a little nervous about going on swarm, and I sound silly because I’ve done saw and I loved it the first three times and the fourth made me feel I’ll so now don’t go on it , but I really want to ride swarm but I’m afraid I will not enjoy it. And if it helps I’ve done expedition Everest at Disney World, if that’s anything to compare to it ???