The Swarm

JoshC.

7 hours ago, PhobiaticFreak said:

I’m going to Thorpe Park on the 24th and I’m a little nervous about going on swarm, and I sound silly because I’ve done saw and I loved it the first three times and the fourth made me feel I’ll so now don’t go on it , but I really want to ride swarm but I’m afraid I will not enjoy it. And if it helps I’ve done expedition Everest at Disney World, if that’s anything to compare to it ??? 

The Swarm isnt as bad as it looks - iits a good fun smooth experience which im sure you'll enjoy. Compared to Saw, The Swarm don't throw you round quite so much, so hopefully that helps with not making you feel ill! :) 

The biggest issues (I think anyway) that people have with THE SWARM is the imposing wing over drop and the lack of floor/ceiling.

I recommend sitting towards the back of the train, then you don't have much hangtime on the wingover. As the trains are so long you can see the front of the train taking the elements so there won't be any surprises.

SWARM isn't that intense, less intense than SAW and far less intense than Inferno. SWARM speeds up during the season, at the start of the season the zero g roll actually feels like a zero g roll and not a corkscrew.

Worth trying the test seat, it'll show you how snug you are and how much support the restraight gives you.

(missed the boat on this one! Still, hope you overcome your fear. I adore SWARM, hope you'll enjoy it too)

6 hours ago, streetmagix said:

The biggest issues (I think anyway) that people have with THE SWARM is the imposing wing over drop and the lack of floor/ceiling.

I recommend sitting towards the back of the train, then you don't have much hangtime on the wingover. As the trains are so long you can see the front of the train taking the elements so there won't be any surprises.

SWARM isn't that intense, less intense than SAW and far less intense than Inferno. SWARM speeds up during the season, at the start of the season the zero g roll actually feels like a zero g roll and not a corkscrew.

Worth trying the test seat, it'll show you how snug you are and how much support the restraight gives you.

(missed the boat on this one! Still, hope you overcome your fear. I adore SWARM, hope you'll enjoy it too)

I’m not worried about the hang time, it’s more the drop, I hate having a sh*tty feeling in my stomach and I just don’t want to hate the ride, it looks amazing and I really want to achieve it, I let my gut do the thinking way too much hahaha, if anyone could explain in any way how the drop feels would be amazing ? I love Air/ Galactica if that can be compared to it 

4 hours ago, PhobiaticFreak said:

I’m not worried about the hang time, it’s more the drop, I hate having a sh*tty feeling in my stomach and I just don’t want to hate the ride, it looks amazing and I really want to achieve it, I let my gut do the thinking way too much hahaha, if anyone could explain in any way how the drop feels would be amazing ? I love Air/ Galactica if that can be compared to it 

The Swarm is just as smooth as Air/Galactica imo - it just glides around the track. I find The Swarm to be a bit boring personally!

The drop feels like you're just coming out of a vertical loop - it doesn't feel like much of a drop at all! I wouldn't overthink it - plus the seats are quite comfortable and the restraints are quite tight and have that padded 'vest' part similar to Air/Galactica, so you'll feel really safe and secure (if not TOO safe!). It's really not anything to worry about!! :)

11 hours ago, Dean_W said:

The Swarm is just as smooth as Air/Galactica imo - it just glides around the track. I find The Swarm to be a bit boring personally!

The drop feels like you're just coming out of a vertical loop - it doesn't feel like much of a drop at all! I wouldn't overthink it - plus the seats are quite comfortable and the restraints are quite tight and have that padded 'vest' part similar to Air/Galactica, so you'll feel really safe and secure (if not TOO safe!). It's really not anything to worry about!! :)

I love Air so I’ll give swarm a shot, I’ll be shutting bricks though haha

• 2 weeks later...

The timbers/cladding in the Swarm station roof have been removed, so you can currently see the shiny steel RSJs underneath... as I understand it, some of the wood was rotten and needed replacing. Hopefully it's a quick job, but currently - it looks a bit rubbish :P Had a smooth awesome ride on Swarm on Saturday but unfortunately all the effects and Swarm Island audio were off :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Such a shame to see the station theming ripped out, it looks absolutely horrendous with the metal frame on show and some of remaining wooden decoration with parts torn off it. :(

It also shows how cheaply it must have been done in the first place, it's literally just chipboard surrounding the frame.  Sad that they're happy to settle for such poor presentation of a ride which, back in 2012, was impressively themed.

Fire has been used this year - the explosion plays when the fire should go off - you don’t really notice it though as the fire effect is so loud it’s self!

Not seen the water effects used other than the jets which come out of the side of the helecopter.

36 minutes ago, Zappomatic said:

Have The Swarm's fire and water effects been seen at all this year? Noticed the fire engine playing a recorded explosion sound every time a train was about to drop, which I don't remember being there before.

On a more positive note this ride was really flying last night - I don't get people who say the ride lacks force.

Fire effects have worked on some days this season.  The explosion noise has always been there, and would normally go off the same time as the fire (not really sure why to be honest!).

Water effects haven't been on all season; I've heard they received / are receiving extra work and haven't been signed off yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last few closed days Swarm has seen some work, The Rear of the console has now had its painting finished, this should hopefully be abit more durable to guests than the stick on police style colors. The beams in the station have been painted to make it look abit better, hopefully just temporary till they can replace the wood in there properly. The water effects are also now working and back on again. 

Still a couple of little bits not working, the sound volume around the area is still pretty low and the bell tower sound effect still isnt working but hopefully this can be fixed soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I s'pose the optimist can argue the wood had to removed quite last minute and there's currently not the time / budget available to properly replace them, so painting them is a short term solution until, say, closed season.

There's also some new fencing in the queue line I believe.