The Swarm

JoshC.

Sorry Rob, but it really does sound as if you're just trying to tear it apart. You're not doing much for the way in which people view your post and the opinion you're trying to put across when you just say "of course it will, it's in a much better park Posted Image". Doesn't really make me feel like you're offering an objective view.

^ That's an in joke, PA is my favourite park, I don't deny it. It doesn't detract at all from my perspective, it sets a bar to compare against. I do accept this is a fan site, you won't take nicely to any disageement, but you have to agree with atleast some of my points. The tent, for example, does detract from the feeling. Don't try and cover it up, don't say 'oh you're being silly letting that ruin it', it's a massive detractor, and any theme park which cares at all for it's themeing would NEVER do something as glaringly bad as that.With regard to tear it apart, well, I'm commenting on my experience, I give it credit where credit is due; the themeing is a good effort, the zero G is lovely in the middle, but otherwise, it's not good. It's based on a fairly wide ranging ride background though, maybe you are comparing it to less rides? I don't know.Just to add to that, I do represent a very general opinion, a few members of the public who I over heard coming off the ride said 'it wouldn't be worth queueing for', 'it's alright'.

This being a 'fan site' has no bearing what so ever. Have you seen the amount of bashing Thorpe get on here? Samurai trees? Inferno effects? X? The arena? Stealth queue? Entrance music? People have no qualms about voicing there opinions on here so don't try the condescending 'fanbois' approach. If it was bad people would say so without hesitation. And to be honest I do think it's silly to complain about the marquee. It isn't like it's on the island? And I personally am glad of a bit of grass, given it's in rather short supply at Thorpe. But how you can say walking past a marquee ruins the ride you're on your way to is beyond me; that's like saying Saw is ruined by the fact Colossus is near it o.OOn my personal ride background I have plenty to compare it to, although to be honest unless you've been on Raptor I don't see how any comparison is really valid; Baco is an entirely different ride which is aiming itself in an entirely different style.And on your last point; the absolute overwhelming response I heard on Saturday was positive, many seemed blown away. And that's all I've been seeing since then on Twitter as well. So I don't think your view is as widely held as you seem to think.

^ That's an in joke, PA is my favourite park, I don't deny it. It doesn't detract at all from my perspective, it sets a bar to compare against. I do accept this is a fan site, you won't take nicely to any disageement, but you have to agree with atleast some of my points. The tent, for example, does detract from the feeling. Don't try and cover it up, don't say 'oh you're being silly letting that ruin it', it's a massive detractor, and any theme park which cares at all for it's themeing would NEVER do something as glaringly bad as that.

I'm sorry, but I really don't agree with your tent philsophy. It isn't massive, it's not part of the area, and it makes no effort to distract. I was in the area for almost four hours in total on Saturday and I didn't notice nor think about the tent once in that time. What I completely fail to understand is how you're so vocal about the tent, and then you claim Saw is much better on the theming front. Saw has two rides, both in different areas to Saw and both blue, completely dominating over the plaza. One of them also happens to make probably one of the mightiest rackets known to the theme park world. The other as I said earlier, swings around hysterically over the area, creating a lot of attention for itself. That's where in my view your opinion completely loses credibility.It makes it worse that at the end of your recent review, you seem to want to imply that we all only enjoy it because it conforms to the 'mainstream' that B&M must be gods or something. If you're going to come out with one of the least-consistent reviews ever written (not only the Saw comparison, calling it as jerky as the load of tripe that was Baco didn't help) and then not even bother to respect ours, where do you honestly think that's going to stand you?

Just to add to that, I do represent a very general opinion, a few members of the public who I over heard coming off the ride said 'it wouldn't be worth queueing for', 'it's alright'.

And pretty much all the reviews I overheard where consistently positive, 'best in the park' floated around a lot too. See what I did there? Next...

The reason it detracts is because actors and signs related to the Swarm are positioned opposite it, a shop in The Swarm theme is poitioned infront of it, it's not on the island but is part of the area. As for the area itself, there is no redemption there, as I say, it's too open, it's not immersive. Don't get me wrong, by Thorpe standards, it's well themed, but that's not saying much at all! I was expecting something on an international scale, maybe I'm just dissapointed.As for SAW, once you're into the area, you don't notice the other rides much at all. Once you go under the track, it's really not at all noticable.I can understand the Baco comment on any row but the front, but, get on the front row! Again, more of a joke, take it as you will.Along with a vast majority of park staff, my opinion is pretty consistent. It's a stupid arguement to get into though, because really, it's not to do with others opinions, so I'll detract that if you prefer.

and any theme park which cares at all for it's themeing would NEVER do something as glaringly bad as that.

So the concrete tunnels and rock gorges on Furius Baco's layout are consistent to a vineyard, are they? First I've seen.Not saying The Swarm is perfect, but I would hail Baco's themeing as all that.

As for the area itself, there is no redemption there, as I say, it's too open, it's not immersive. Don't get me wrong, by Thorpe standards, it's well themed, but that's not saying much at all! I was expecting something on an international scale, maybe I'm just dissapointed.

Too open? So if it had been more cramped and full of more stuff, would you have abstained from the "It's too cramped!" comments that would have ensued? And as for this thing about it being an abandoned town, I really don't know what people were expecting. How many rides, even globally, have an entire town built around them? Expedition Everest... I'm stumped other than that. And where exactly do you propose Thorpe should have built all these other buildings? On a bit of island currently taken up by ride layout? In the way of the path that will go to Island A?

Firstly, in regard to the town, actually, would be quite feesable and would only take a few low level buildings and tents to suit the theme, and create a story. Rides cannot be too crampt, so, no, I certainly wouldn't have made any comment. I give several examples of rides with good themeing; The Wizarding world of Harry Potter, Black Mamba, Towers Street, to name but a few. It's very often done, and this is the calibre of themeing I was expecting, heck, even trees would have served as a suitable visual wall to break up the area a little.With regards to Baco's themeing, I wasn't intentionally comparing the two, but just for the record, the trench is now a bit greener as plants are starting to grow, does improve it, but also it's close proximity to the ride does wonders for the feeling of speed. I accept the tunnel criticsm entirely, but would just add you only see it for a split second at 80mph.. it's not where you can see from the queue or other park areas.I just want to emphasise, I am not hating this ride for the sake of hating. I am just not like that, I love Stealth, and Colossus, and particularly Samurai (on cycle 6 anyway...), it's not a go at the park, just simply, the ride didn't do anything at all for me. Compared to my other rollercoaster experiences, it's average.

I think that it is all down to opinion but personally I think that the theming looks fantastic. To be honest with Saw the ride, after the rotating blades it just goes onto a random bit of land with no theming whatsoever. Saw seems like they built the very visible parts well themed (rotating blades), but after that they gave up because hidden theming would not really draw the public in.With the Swarm however the theming is consistent throughout (minus the final turn but it has only just opened.)I could be more picky about The Swarm but not much is perfect.I am going to go tomorrow with an open (but excited) mind because I think that if you go expecting the ride to beat your favourite ride or something similar then if it doesn't then it is a let down.The ONE thing that I think needs sorting quickly is the wrong timing of the first water splash (by the helicopter) because when that effect is timed right it is a great effect, but when it is timed wrong it looks a little bit silly.Even with these MINOR drawbacks I think that the ride looks great and I hope to get two rides on it tomorrow (one at the front right and one at the back left.)

Firstly, in regard to the town, actually, would be quite feesable and would only take a few low level buildings and tents to suit the theme, and create a story. Rides cannot be too crampt, so, no, I certainly wouldn't have made any comment. I give several examples of rides with good themeing; The Wizarding world of Harry Potter, Black Mamba, Towers Street, to name but a few. It's very often done, and this is the calibre of themeing I was expecting, heck, even trees would have served as a suitable visual wall to break up the area a little.With regards to Baco's themeing, I wasn't intentionally comparing the two, but just for the record, the trench is now a bit greener as plants are starting to grow, does improve it, but also it's close proximity to the ride does wonders for the feeling of speed. I accept the tunnel criticsm entirely, but would just add you only see it for a split second at 80mph.. it's not where you can see from the queue or other park areas.I just want to emphasise, I am not hating this ride for the sake of hating. I am just not like that, I love Stealth, and Colossus, and particularly Samurai (on cycle 6 anyway...), it's not a go at the park, just simply, the ride didn't do anything at all for me. Compared to my other rollercoaster experiences, it's average.

Where do I begin with this?! You want them to set up tents as buildings?! You were just against tents full stop! The reason hogsmeade exists is because it is a shopping venue! The reason the expedition Everest village exists is because in a 500 acre theme park there is room for that kind of thing! The reason towers street exists is because it is also a shopping venue. Tell me, have you suddenly decided that aliens like the swarm are gonna leave the blooming village bakery standing because they want to " be able to get a fresh loaf in the morning"?!I was open to you voicing your opinion but Jesus, youre story has more holes than one of your dodgy tents!

I haven't read any reviews or posts as of yet, I'm just so excited to be able to give my views on it!I'll keep this brief. The ride is absolutely fantastic and a genuine pleasure to ride in every single seat. My only real negatives about the attraction is that it is a little bare. I'd like to see a couple more props scattered around the ride area to finish off the experience. Also I noticed that the water effects were totally out of sync for a large proportion of the day and there was no fire. :(Negatives out of the way, the complete show-stopper is the ride station, which is gorgeous, vast and it feels as though it has an air of status and authority; a staple of the ride. The small details such as shards of glass still left in the window are a nice effect. The ride is arguably the best at Thorpe and sits right up there with some of the best in the UK. After each of my rides yesterday I just could not help but smile. The ride is very intense on the left and I think this is my preferred side.I'm trying to wait until I review properly because I get a sense that there is a "test and adjust" phase around the whole attraction. I want fire! ;)Fantastic job B&M and to Thorpe Park!

Right, I've now been taken by the Swarm so I can actually make an opinion on it now whoop!Right I won't go in too much detail as everyone has covered it but I do think that it was worth the wait. The have made a very good effort on the themeing and I completely loved the coaster however after riding it a few times in various positions I came to a conclusion that it wasn't my favourite rollercoaster in the park (even though it is still very good). Swarm has my favourite inversion I've experienced which is that first inversion after the drop and Being on the right hand side flipping over into the drop was EPIC! but overall I prefered my ride experience surprisingly on the left.However my favourite coaster in the end still for me is SAW. The ride overall is more intense for me and gives me a grey area unlike the Swarm and on Saw there are many drops even after all this time that I sill can't prepare for even after all the times I have been on it. And the opening sections with the traps and Billy and the Station I just love all of that on Saw, so it still is crowned for me as the best coaster there. (I was extremely impressed with the station for the Swarm)

I think you need to look at the context when judging the theming for Swarm. UK parks are never going to have the budget that Disney did for Expedition Everest (wikipedia gives a cost of $100million) or Universial for Harry Potter ($200 million).Will withhold commenting on the Swarm until I've seen it for myself tomorrow. I enjoy Saw (apart from the bottom of drop bump, is that still as bad?) and if the Swarm matches Saw's scenery I'll be happy.

Overall, I'd say it's very similar to air. Nothing to write home about, but a different experience. It's just like Inferno, smooth and re-ride-able, but that's about it. It simply didn't take my breath away,

Smooth, re-rideable and a different experience. And you think thats a negative thing. Seriously? gee, I bet Thorpe are kicking themselves for a ride that people may want to go on again and again.

From all the hype that was given about the themeing, I was expecting Nemesis mk.2

But... Nemesis has the same problems. It's just a fancy station with bits of scrap and old rusty, buses surrounding it. Swarm and Nemesis use these to their advantages in similar ways.

What’s more, a massive detraction is as you enter the area, you have a towering coaster to the left, and a tent/gazebo with a very well kept lawn to the right.

I was looking at the 125 foot rollercoaster personally.

I couldn't follow any sort of story at all, I will admit I did not watch the TV's, but, that shouldn't make a huge difference

So when the park gave you the opportunity to follow the story and create a bit of atmosphere, you chose to ignore but will still criticise them for not making the story more obvious.

Sorry Fanboys and girls, and people who think 'it's UK B&M, therefore must be awesome', it isn't, thoroughly average

Yawn. Majority on here take every ride on face value. We don't just decide its by a certain manufacturer and that makes it crap.

So The Swarm, its quite weird to look back 3 years and think how happy we were regarding Saw, fast forward 3 years and Thorpe have delivered a ride which imo makes up for where Saw falls down.Firstly the theming, I dont buy the argument that the Marquee spoils the area, on that argument should they not look at removing Stealth / Tidal Wave / Depth Charge? Once youve crossed the bridge the area feels very secluded to me in a good way and its nice to see the park from a new angle again. Its clear alot of attention to detail has gone in here, the airplane is simply awsome, the fact they bought an actual full size airplane says it all, the church looks great from inside and out as do the other buildings across the area. I like the rides soundtrack too and also like the way it plays soundeffects as the ride goes through elements, it wasnt perfectly timed but I'm sure this will be tweaked over the coming weeks. As for the ride, I had never actually rode a wingrider before so wasnt too sure what to expect, but it being a B&M I knew I could expect a comfortable ride throughout knowing I wouldn't come off with a headache (I'm looking at you Saw). Ive rode it back left, back right, front right and a few times in the middle both sides. Back left I think is my personal preference, the first inversion is amazing being dragged through that high up in the air was quite an experience. Whilst off ride the ride looks slow and possibly abit short, I didnt feel either of these were an issue when on the ride, it was surprisingly forceful throughout when actually riding it and length wise it felt just right. Front was pretty awesome for the near miss elements too, especially that plane wing. Overall its the right ride for thorpe at the right time, its reridable, has a decent throughput what it will actually hit and I'm sure once its small teething issues are sorted it will be a very reliable ride! Looking forward to its big weekend and seeing how it goes!