Sea World

I am genuinely shocked nobody has brought up anything to do with Tilikum's deteriorating health! It looks as though we may be saying farewell to the Orca soon

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/08/us/tilikum-orca-killer-whale-seaworld-illness/

In Mak-O News, Jesus this things has been ruined by the ENORMOUS amounts of netting that will go up... 

12718149_1701190333459911_13965195934894

Thank God for that; after seeing Blackfish I'm glad that they have stopped breeding!

A little more research and you'll find most of Blackfish is false - most of the former seaworld employees they interview were sacked for various reasons - strange that they would want to say bad things about the company eh! It's nothing more than a propaganda campaign with the people behind it looking to make as much cash as possible - no matter what they make out!

It's no huge surprise with the huge amount of animal activists they constantly have against them - I've no doubt though it won't stop here I'm sure they will find something else to moan about. But as Matt says a few more years to get visits in and experience Seaworld how it's meant to be!

A little more research and you'll find most of Blackfish is false - most of the former seaworld employees they interview were sacked for various reasons - strange that they would want to say bad things about the company eh! It's nothing more than a propaganda campaign with the people behind it looking to make as much cash as possible - no matter what they make out!

It's no huge surprise with the huge amount of animal activists they constantly have against them - I've no doubt though it won't stop here I'm sure they will find something else to moan about. But as Matt says a few more years to get visits in and experience Seaworld how it's meant to be!

Even though Blackfish is false, I personally feel that whales should be allowed to swim free in the wild and not be kept in captivity for entertainment purposes. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Sea World and the Shamu show was amazing. I'm not an animal activist or anything like that I just feel against the idea of forcing a whale into performing tricks,etc.

This is my personal opinion however, so you can all moan and groan about "how Sea World is meant to be" [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

Even though Blackfish is false, I personally feel that whales should be allowed to swim free in the wild and not be kept in captivity for entertainment purposes. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Sea World and the Shamu show was amazing. I'm not an animal activist or anything like that I just feel against the idea of forcing a whale into performing tricks,etc.

This is my personal opinion however, so you can all moan and groan about "how Sea World is meant to be" [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

Thats fair enough -  My post was more that I just am not a fan of people who watch things like Blackfish without doing any more research on the subject and believe it word for word! 

I kind of agree. I didn't watch Blackfish, I don't need to be emotionally manipulated into thinking animals like whales should be in tanks those sizes.

My problem has always been, why in particular are Seaworld the targets? They've advanced marine animal research and saved thousands of animals from death over the years. Why just whales Miles? Why not dolphins, manatees, turtles, polar bears, walruses and countless other animals at Seaworld?

My problem has always been, why in particular are Seaworld the targets? They've advanced marine animal research and saved thousands of animals from death over the years. Why just whales Miles? Why not dolphins, manatees, turtles, polar bears, walruses and countless other animals at Seaworld?

No doubt that will be next!

• 2 weeks later...

SeaWorld had run out of options really for the orcas. The times we're in now they need to catch up, but the thing I detest most about the whole situation is SeaWorld, the company that rescues and cares for so many injured animals to return them to the wild were the biggest targets. Like Mark said, they have put so much research into marine care and save loads of animals.

Keeping an animal of such size isn't brilliant, but why should a cheetah be kept in a cage it can't run and hunt in? It's all the same. The breeding thing, fair enough. Even though they were all being bred from captivity now anyway as they hadn't and weren't capturing anymore. As for the shows, I still believe it is just the theatrical show that is being cancelled slowly over the next 4/5 years. There are ten orcas at San Diego, seven in Florida and 6 in San Antonio. Each park has one that's only at most 6 years old. Tilikum is now 34 years old and is having health issues which SeaWorld are treating but it doesn't look promising. So there are still going to be many years that the orcas are on park. They'll still do shows, but will instead have the orcas swimming around in their nice new tanks and just do a talk about them, like conservation and stuff. No tricks, just let them swim around as guests are informed which seems like SeaWorld's way forward. 

Some quotes from Manby who seems to be steering the boat the right way.

“We built the brand around Shamu many years ago and made people fall in love with killer whales,” Manby told me, “but now the paradox is that it’s one of the leading reasons people are uncomfortable with SeaWorld.”

“The world is moving in a different direction,” Manby said about the abrupt corporate paradigm shift. “Society is changing and moving in a different direction, and we needed to get ahead of it. Our research showed it would be a losing battle” to continue the shows in the face of this rising tide of hostility.

“We really don’t think it’s a 180-degree-change kind of thing” for SeaWorld. “We’ve always been an organization with this [conservation] cause, but it was too isolated in the zoological community. Our vision now is that we want all 20,000 employees, all of our brand ambassadors, to be engaged in it, as well as our 20 million [annual] guests. If we get even 5 percent of them engaged, that’s a big number.

“Everyone loves animals, and future generations — especially millennials — are totally engaged in wanting meaningful experiences, wanting vacations that matter. And they want companies that are for a cause. Our mission is experiences that matter; our vision is to inspire people to protect animals and the wild wonders of the world. And that’s right in the sweet spot of where society is heading.”

At the San Diego park, where SeaWorld already has phased out the traditional orca shows based on guest feedback, the company tested segments where “orcas are interacting with trainers, and the trainers are talking to the audience,” Manby said. “And it scored almost as high as the entertainment show [overall] and twice as high in educational value. It still attracts guests.”

So there you go, SeaWorld has been praised since announcing it, stocks risen, new partners signed. It's a move in the right direction, and hopefully they can properly showcase all the good they do!

Silver Star is 7.6/10, Shambhala is 9.4/10 and this will be 8.3/10

I can't quite rate Silver Star as it was my first coaster to feature a drop, all I remember was screaming and falling whilst holding onto my restraint for dear life (preventing any decent airtime (I wasn't even interested in roller coasters then)).

I absolutely loved Shambhala, my favourite coaster that I've ridden (I remember you saying you preferred Baco somewhere).

I don't think Mako will be as good as Shambhala, like I said I have no idea with Silver Star for said reason.

Why does everyone dislike Silver Star in comparison to other hypercoasters?