Are You Allowed Cameras On Rides?

Nick Ash

Question

I have recently created a youtube channel covering the UK's theme park rides. Up until now I have been using still photos in my videos. Is there an official policy as to whether video cameras are allowed on rides at Thorpe Park? If I use my camera, is there a chance of it getting confiscated?Any help will be appreciated :P

18 answers to this question

I have recently created a youtube channel covering the UK's theme park rides. Up until now I have been using still photos in my videos. Is there an official policy as to whether video cameras are allowed on rides at Thorpe Park? If I use my camera, is there a chance of it getting confiscated?Any help will be appreciated :P

I have heard that have a go at somebody for using a camera over the pa on the rumba rapids and loggers leap!

This reminds of a time we was on stealth, I was on the front row and at the end of the ride when we hit the brake run there was this loud smashing noise from what sounded like behind me, next thing I know is threes the remains of a mobile phone in the space where your feet are, in about 10 different pieces. It smashed into the guys head behind me as it flew forward. So moral of the story, the rules are there for a reason, I would imagine that guys day was almost ruined because someone else decided to try and record the ride with there phone :o

Can I take small, compact camera and hang it on my neck under my clothes or will they spot it? I'm not going to use it on the rides, but I don't have a place to leave it (I'm going by bus), since the lockers aren't safe.

You can leave all of your items in the baggage areas when boarding the rides ;) They are usually monitored by ride staff so temporary storage for the ride is safe, and some rides (Stealth, Saw, Swarm, X/NWO) give you a wristband to wear for the duration of the ride, and you return it for your own baggage at the end.

However, I wouldn't recommend hanging a small camera on your neck, especially on the coasters as it will be flying all over the place :lol:

£3 for a small locker for the day (can fit a fair amount in), £5 for a larger locker, It asks you for your date of birth and then it will tell you a colour to remember when you want to open it. You have to put birth date in and then the colour and then it opens! They are brilliant!

You can leave all of your items in the baggage areas when boarding the rides ;) They are usually monitored by ride staff so temporary storage for the ride is safe, and some rides (Stealth, Saw, Swarm, X/NWO) give you a wristband to wear for the duration of the ride, and you return it for your own baggage at the end.

However, I wouldn't recommend hanging a small camera on your neck, especially on the coasters as it will be flying all over the place :lol:

However, I wouldn't like to leave my backpack with my money, camera, mobile phone and air tickets (I'm from Poland) in the baggage areas. Some passenger can easily take it. What about the camera in my pocket?

What makes you think the lockers are not safe?

I've read somewhere that theft happens.

However, I wouldn't like to leave my backpack with my money, camera, mobile phone and air tickets (I'm from Poland) in the baggage areas. Some passenger can easily take it. What about the camera in my pocket?

Hi there; just to clarify what everyone else has said you have the baggage holds to use. I can guarantee to you that your items are completely safe within the baggage areas on available rides (SAW, Stealth, SWARM, X:/No Way Out) as a wristband is given to you upon depositing your items, and items cannot be returned without your wristband being handed back (this goes to the extent of if you lose it during the ride, we cannot give it back without security present to ensure it is your bag).

On other rides, such as Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, the non-coasters; the bag system is operated by a cupboard which means your possessions are left on shelving during your ride. On Nemesis and Colossus there is a door which is sealed over, meaning nobody (except those whom are on the same train as you) can access your belongings. As stated above, as a member of staff; I do work on rides with both baggage systems, and I can confirm that the system is secure, as it is staffed on the roller coasters.

Failing that, the lockers at Thorpe Park are as secure as any. My recommendation would be to use the yellow lockers, as Marc said, in the lower Dome which are the securest of all; or failing that there is £1 key-locked lockers available, which are equally safe, and you have nothing to worry about.

With regards to your camera, I would highly advise you don't take it on the ride. A lot of people lose loose items such as phones, cameras, and keys by taking them on board and Thorpe Park cannot stress enough to people to not take loose items onboard rides. Should your camera be dropped during the ride, whilst it would be retrievable at park closing time, Thorpe Park cannot hold responsibility should your camera get broken, or even lost within the ride area. Equally, if you do take a camera around your neck, rides staff will request that you remove the camera from your neck and place it into the available on-ride baggage storage facility (be it the cupboard, of staffed bag room).

I hope this helps :)