Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

It's gonna have changes, but didn't think it'd be in the case of more 4d effects, not even heard that rumour until reading this topic (cos reading this before ttf you see ^_^).The ride is adored, and I mean ADORED, by the young teens. Everyone else is a bit meh about it - very understandable. The storyline hasn't been put across properly. But at least some people like it (and keep reriding it, like people do with ripsaw etc).

As far as I am aware, Alton Towers are not happy.

After overhearing some suites muttering some unmentionables by the exit earlier (just after a fairly lengthy downtime) I think you are quite right!!I've given it a go today, it's not good but should be salvageable. Salvaging it though is not going to be achieved by throwing effects at it, it needs a coherent story and suitable ending to have any point. I'll have a proper opinion when I've got time.

Went on this ride today. Just going to sum it up rather than repeating what's already been said by other posts.The ride is an absolute waste of time. Yes the themeing is fairly well done, especially on the inside. But you just come out thinking, 'meh, is that it?'. I would not queue any longer than 5 minutes for this poor excuse for a ride which is so called the scariest underground experience. The story is so rushed you don't really have a chance to take in what is actually happening.I really don't know if the added (fixed) effects will make any difference to my opinion. It was just an over hyped disappointing addition.3/10

From yesterday, my more (possibly too) comprehensive thoughts. I like the idea, I hate the execution. I actually don't know what it was all about or what is supposed to have happened, and as an enthusiast I kind of already know what it is supposed to be about, so that really is quite damning of the execution.My ExperienceWith only a couple of minutes queue I was not able to get much of a back story from it, I'm guessing a short queue will be something to be expected in the future (!) so to rely too heavily on queue time to set the point of the attraction is a mistake. It should be for enhancement / entertainment only.Bags in, stand on spots, move into lift, lift clearly doesn't move (those lights are far too direct, along with lack of movement the effect simply does not work as it stands), video plays giving a suggestion of what it's all about (looking at an egg? it might be dangerous?), but is nowhere near explicit enough.]Move through, we are strapped into our seats (no explanation is ever given as to why, from a story point of view, we are being strapped into a seat). Lights flash, seat drops. No idea why/what caused the seat to drop. Quick glimpse of some sort of cave, sit in darkness while slowly lifted back into place. Told to rush out.2nd lift - slight shaking, and banging. I was looking for the splitting panel effect and just about spotted it (pathetic, looks like the panel has just worked loose and isn't supposed to happen). How they thought this would ever be the finale to anything I have no idea.As we left my non enthusiast wife's first words were "is that really it?", and I had warned her it was supposed to be bad! Kind of sums up what I expect the geeral public view is likely to be.What I was expectingAs I've said here before, an alien encounter + drop kind of affair, and I still think this is what they were aiming for but have missed spectacularly. I had presumed we would be lowered down to see the egg, it starts hatching we get pulled up to evacuate, just as we get there the hatched Nemesis/its Mum pulls us down into darkness for effects, then we are successfully rescued. It would make a whole lot more sense. They clearly can't do that now because they've built it and would have to pretty much start again to mae that work.How to fix itChrist knows, but it needs a lot of change. No amount of tinkering / throwing effects at it will be enough, it needs a comprehensive rethink to the story (starting with actually having one) and how that story is delivered (less rushed for a start, throughput will have to be sacrificed and somehow ending on a high - possibly with the abandonment of that second lift which is simply not fit for an ending). With the way it is built we are stuck, narrative wise, with an egg in a room, a cave bellow it and the fact we are already underground and having to be strapped into a seat. How you shoehorn that lot into a story that makes any sense is beyond me.I don't know who was in charge of this or what they spent, but whoever it was shouldn't have been and if the figures that have been thrown around here are correct what the hell have they spent it on?I feel bad being so negative as this sort of experience attraction is exactly what I love them doing and they should be doing, but the way this has been put together is so ill conceived it boggles the mind.

Doubt ABC are looking for improvements - they're there to ensure the ride works, and will continue working (oh and to actually get the leg ticklers and back pokers working). Nothing else.Everything else is up for creative team - who for some reason were working on Nemesis monster tonight. Not sure why, not sure if they're making any changes there.As for 11yr old enjoying it - all the young teens are adoring it. Loving it totally. It's everyone else who don't like it, which is fair. Think they just need to work on the storyline, not sure if they can change ride too much without lowering throughput (ride hits 800pph btw)

So yeah, back to my earlier thing...So the shed works actually, and the queue is quite cool with the Aqualite tvs once again being a source of entertainment (bulk order much?), it semi sets the scene for inside but maybe not enough, maybe some further work on this might help remove the confusion of why we're going into the building in the first place...And the staff were good, with the yelling and interaction working rather well... Some of the staff look properly terrifying in the gear (especially when they were all stood outside during a breakdown, most guests were just scared of talking to them, brilliant)...People probably know what happens already, but with the added effects the scene is changed somewhat, and really helps the feeling of fear rise, potentially too much in some cases as I saw a few terrified runs for the exit lift and in the exit corridor, so it fulfills that point reasonably well in a way...Overall I really did enjoy it and came off with a smile on my face everytime I rode it (3 to be precise)... It's not brilliant but it's not god awful either as many enthusiasts seem to be proclaiming... It's fun, gives the Nemesis brand more leeway in the area, and I'm sure after it's been tweaked to it's best then maybe it'll find a place to be admired... Just like that little dark ride that sit within the Towers themselves... Disliked at first, but then after a few changes, it becomes loved...7/10

It's clear that getting the effects working has helped a lot then, but I can imagine what a pack poker and leg tickler are like added to what I rode and it is nowhere near good enough. I still think a lot needs to be done to the storyline and execution to ramp up the fear and give the whole thing any point.