Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

I screamed at both the drop and the effects. The drop because it was sudden and I still scream on drop towers and such. Not everyone is immune to them.It also does depend on who is riding with you. The second time, me and Benin had a group of teenage girls and a group of Japanese students. Hearing screams all around you does increase the effect.

Went on yesterday and was less than impressed, however, the interesting part was that a member of staff was stood by the exit asking for feedback. I asked why he'd been put there and was told that the reaction was heavily negative and it seemingly had taken the top brass by surprise!

I've been monitoring people's comments and views on this ride and they are overwhelmingly negative among the general public.'Nemesis' just means rollercoaster to the average joe and I think this is adding to people's disappointment.Thirteen had a MIXED reaction among the public, despite what enthusiasts think, and remains popular two years on. I bet the same cannot be said for Sub-Terra in 2014.

As per usual, this post contains spoilers.The first ride is the most important thing. When you go on something, it is the first ride that will forever shape your memories when you re-ride. Harry potter, will be that shed, Oblivion will be the fear, Storm Surge will be the free massage. My lasting memories of Sub Terra will be everyones fear around me, being rushed out of the second elevator and the 39 other guests running for their lives towards the bag room. Sure enthusiasts hate it with a passion because its overhyped/too short/not good enough but the public on my ride loved it.So to the ride. Well the queueline was advertised at 50 minutes. We had avoided it until near the end in the hope that the queue would drop but it didn't really so we took the plunge. I really like the video and I like how it tries to educate guests on the Nemesis legend without going into too much detail. Just enough to explain that Nemesis eats people and its deadly. I liked the woman in the video, holding a veil of Nemesis wee and being quite intrigued by it. I'm also quite geeky in that I like all the code names such as Nemesis_94 and so forth. So you get batched into two elevators, 20 in each and the guards shout things at you. They're pretty effective and give quite a bit of tension. The doors close and the lights simulate going down. You get put into your tower very quickly. I've never ridden Extremis so wasn't sure how it dropped. I must admit it did get me. I liked the almost Jurassic Park element of a scientific experiment going horribly wrong.You drop into the bottom cavern and I must admit my mind goes a bit blurry because everything is very rushed. It reminds me slightly of that bit in the film 'Signs' where the alien walks past the window. It was all a bit woah. So the lights turn off and you are raised back to the main area. The staff shout for you to escape as fast as possible into the lifts, everyone follows obediently, in fact the majority were running for their lives. The doors close and as if the Nemesis creature is attacking, the lift shakes and shudders and vibrates all around you. I found it extremely effective and the ride ends very quickly, with people running in fear.Now I must admit, a big part of the experience was everyone elses reaction, I knew it was a small drop tower in a big green shed but part of that didn't matter because actually, Alton haven't just gone for an easy flat ride, they've really gone for something that is to be experienced. It has faults such as the ride time which just isn't long enough (especially with Nemesis and its 25 minute queue, 90 second ride time next door) and there is a lot of confusion with just what is going on in the cavern. But for its brevity I found it very effective and hope Alton continue to add to it to make it a good all-rounder. It's certainly not like Charlie (that ride looks like they gave up before it started) but I have to take my hat off to Alton. We both enjoyed it.Nemesis Sub-Terra - 7/10

From these recent reviews coming out it is clear a lot has changed since the first few days when there was no exaggeration - it was rubbish. Glad they started to make improvements already.Does make me think that when it was, to a large extent, not working they would have done well to have a few signs up. 'Sorry due to technical difficulties we are unable to offer the full Sub Terra experience today. We hope you enjoy todays limited ride and come back soon to face the full terror.' that sort of thing. There are a lot of people who have been through those doors and think that was what it was supposed to be, and won't be reading this stuff to put them straight.

Think an issue with dark rides is that sometimes they are difficult to get right first time unless you've had a lot of experience with them (see: Disney and Universal), but even they sometimes don't get them right straight out the door and seek improvements...

Speaking of which, I've been informed that Terra has had some further improvements, including a new briefing pre show before the lifts, and an extended ride cycle... Intriguing...

Posted Image

Its 2012, Thorpe Park opened The Swarm, Chessington opened A new themed land; Africa and Alton Towers have opened Nemesis: Sub-Terra.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra is a £4 Millon dark ride manufactured by ABC rides, It is themed around the discovery of a nest of eggs from the Nemesis creature.

The moment you see the rides daunting building, your intrigued, The Phalanx operatives patrolling the area really add to the mystery the ride creates, the very moment you enter the queue, you are bombarded by multiple televisions screens, they vaguely explain the rides story, it uses a series of clips from the original Nemesis promotional film to explain the story to the riders. Once you have got to the end of the queue and given your bags in, you are ushered in to a room and told to line up infront of lifts, after a full group is inside the room, a pre-show starts, explaining the story in more detail, I thought the pre show was great, I really liked the clips which showed the Phalanx actually fighting the Nemesis creature, after the pre-show, you enter the lifts, The lifts do a great job of simulating your descent into the central core, inside the lifts, another pre-show plays, explaining that we are now going far underground to witness the spectacle of a single Nemesis egg.

Once you exit the lifts, you are lead down a corridor into the ride area. The ride areas theming is spectacular, The beeping heart monitor, the lights, and of course, the egg itself. Once your seated, yet another pre-show plays, telling you that, although they thought the egg to be dormant, it has recently been showing signs of life, the lights suddenly go out, multiple sound effects are played and you are sprayed with water, once the lights come back on, the egg is hatched, strobes start to flash and then all of a sudden, You drop.

The drop takes you into an underground cave, this cave is the nest of the other eggs which you were warned about in the pre-show, The lights go out again and you are then poked in the back and feet by, what is supposedly, the newly hatched creatures tentacles, the ride is then raised back into the main chamber, strobes are flashing in the chamber and you are told to be evacuated, you are then rushed into another lift to take you to safety. Once you are in the lift it starts to "go back up to the surface", The lights in the lift then go out and the lift starts shaking vigorously, Once the shaking stops, the door open and a Phalanx operative tells you to leave.

I really enjoyed Sub-Terra, I think its a great expansion on the Nemesis story and a solid dark ride, I found the drop to be quite forceful and the effects to really add to the experience.

8/10

Best guest comments of the day

(During the first Pre-Show) "Is this real?"

(After the ride) "I thought it was a rollercoaster"

The changes most certainly improve the ride greater than imagined tbh...

Whilst it still gets a mixed response (don't most rides?), the addition of the new video clips pre lift and the extended sequence before the drop just help tie a few bits together...

Other improvements include the metal detectors beeping, air cannons in the ride and the post lifts, and more intense ticklers which cannot be avoided with raised legs...

All in all, it's still not perfect, but it's certainly better...

For me, it was like I had never been on it before. I got the same scared feeling and reactions as I had done the first time (I'm a bit of a wimp by the way who can barely manage Duel). Definitely runs better with the story and makes sense. So glad I didn't have my legs down as the leg ticklers were bad enough with horizontal legs. Felt more like the enslaught that it should be but without being drowned by the water (my glasses weren't as covered with as much water and the restraints weren't as wet when they first came down.

Here is a short SPOILER review of Nemesis SUB TERRA.

First off, DON'T expect a big drop ride. It is quite small although it does offer some airtime due it not having over the shoulder restraints.

After watching a preview video you enter one of two elevators. This takes you down to the bottom (or simulates going down.) It is quite a good effect as the floor vibrates as well.

Next you enter the ride chamber. The centerpiece of the drop ride is an egg which hatches half way through the ride. The drop ride is loud and also has lighting, water and other effects including darkness. It also has some very violent leg and back ticklers that simulate tentacles.

The elevator to get you back to the top has a surprise in it. Half way through it goes dark and the lift rattles and shakes. Once you get out some members of the phalanx control (the made up police guards) chase you out.

Overall it is a fun and scary (not for me but for some) experience but the drop ride is quite small.

Well, I tell you what - Alton are really working hard to make this work. And after a visit yesterday, I must say that the first wave of changes are already adding a lot to the experience. The exiting groups were massively more positive, with people noticeably more scared of the proceedings compared to the dire state of affairs back on 24th March.

Changes which I have noted are:

+ Airport style scanners before the briefing room

+ Blackout curtains so that the briefing room is now dark

+ Plasma TV screens playing a briefing video. This ensures everyone understands where they are and what the story is. Great!

+ First lifts more motion and lights

+ Main show sequence is entirely different. Far, far better. Seeing the egg crack first works well.

+ Back pokers (fantastically violent!) and leg ticklers = lots of screaming! This works well with the wind, noise and water sprays!

+ Post show lifts now darker with more noise. Much more apprehension!

The above really is a lot. So credit to AT. I believe more is on the way.

I actually enjoyed N:ST yesterday. Smiling when I came out, rather than just being very, very disappointed!

Bring on the next changes!

:D

^^ Sadly, my experience on Friday was vastly different. Didn't hear a positive, or even average opinion of it. Everyone was extremely disappointed and I overheard countless numbers of conversations such as...

"What was that rubbish one called again?"

"The Sub Terra, that was awful"

To be quite honest, I also found it very poor. And out of a group of 7, only one of our seats had a functional back poker, and that person said that it was just extremely painful and complained about it the rest of the day.

Much more work needs to be done.

^^^ That's good to hear, but then how do they know that? There was no feedback monitors at all on Friday?

^^ Fair enough, but then you shouldn't have to be sat "perfectly" to experience the effects.

^ I agree completely, but that's what was so disappointing. It had all the makings of a ride I would love! :D

One key thing I think Alton should do is sit down and watch a POV of Alien Encounter, one thing that sticked in my mind from the pov was the death of the maintenance worker, the fact the audience was their helpless strapped in hearing this man being killed and the water being the "blood" pouring down ontop of them must of been terrifying. Thats what I want for Sub-Terra, I want the egg to come out and take one of the phalanx and drag them underground, you drop, and the audience hearing the screaming of the phalanx operative and crunching of bones before being risen back up.

Thing is, that's a very risky move for what is a family park... Indeed, they did pull a rather daft marketing thing with the worst nightmare stuff, but that sorta stuff is probably just over the threshold of what the park could produce so that it doesn't completely scar children for life, like Alien Encounter seemed to do...

At Thorpe, that stuff would fit... But not at Towers... Just too much, whilst in it's current form, it does enough for a fair few of the target demographic, whilst not completely making it inaccessible to them as well...

Thing is, that's a very risky move for what is a family park... Indeed, they did pull a rather daft marketing thing with the worst nightmare stuff, but that sorta stuff is probably just over the threshold of what the park could produce so that it doesn't completely scar children for life, like Alien Encounter seemed to do...

At Thorpe, that stuff would fit... But not at Towers... Just too much, whilst in it's current form, it does enough for a fair few of the target demographic, whilst not completely making it inaccessible to them as well...

They have done terrifying scares before on their mazes, all they would have to do to warn people is put a warning on the info board like on the Scarefest attractions.