Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Warning - This post is one big huge Spoilerama

Rode for the first time yesterday - Despite not reading this topic I went in expecting the worst, but was really surprised by how good I thought it was!

Walked through the queue so didn't have time to look at the video screens or anything but I assumed they were just explaining about what Nemesis was etc, I really didn't care.

The briefing room was immersive with a great Phalanx operative giving military style briefing. Good video to tell the story and what we were doing in the building - perfect length by not being too long and explaining the story with correct amount of detail and all of that.

I had not known much about the experience before going myself, so I didn't know what the 'lifts' would do. I thought the use of lights was good, and the rumbling floor; what more could you want from the lift portion?

The ride/show itself was good and reminded me of alien encounter but maybe even better (?!) due to the drop portion. The rides intentions were well hidden and I was surprised about the depth of theming throughout (I didn't expect another themed area below the Egg hatching?! - I even thought we might drop down another level just because the ride was so unpredictable) The back pokers and leg ticklers were good and the experience would've possibly lacked without them.

The pacing of the whole experience was really good, completely different from other really themed rides like Hex or even Tower of Terror, where it ends and you just walk out; I didn't expect a second lift sequence and although I didn't understand the point, the 'scare maze' section really just adds onto the whole package as if the creature escape down below has an impact even on the surface after you've escaped potential harm.

After reading the whole of this topic for the first time today I can see how the experience has improved however I don't remember the water or wind effects at all on my visit. Despite this, it felt like the full experience and I'm not sure why it isn't being praised more.

I'm not sure about re-rideability as I only rode once, but the experience was so full that I can't remember the drop or when the back pokers kick in etc so I'll be excited and nervous to ride again. Dare I say 9/10 just because the scare maze section lacks story. I honestly think this rivals alien encounter and other disney/universal dark-ride experiences and is the most in depth experience Merlin has ever offered within the UK (I can't comment on Gardaland or Heide Park... And I don't include Legoland.) It might just be the fact that after the ride ends there's MORE and even MORE. Just surprised and pleased about the dedication to the theme and story/plot of the experience.

Interesting review; glad you enjoyed it! I think it's quite similar to what they've been doing at the Dungeons - and borrows a lot of their tricks.

Whilst it reminded me of it - I wouldn't say it rivals Alien Encounter - as that was truly a groundbreaking experience. The animatronic figure in AE alone put it way ahead of anything the UK has ever done. Such a shame that ride is no longer with us.

I too was pleasantly surprised by the ride - and I knew a fair bit about what would happen. I got sprayed, blew at, poked, prodded, yelled and barked at - bit like a great night out, really!

• 4 weeks later...

This is so distressing and traumatizing

Too call this ride scary would be a understatement, I was almost brought to tears.

Haha same here really, I think both my younger brother and our younger friend must have had nightmares the night after experiencing this :P

The section straight after the ride ends and you have to escape is probably the most distressed and scared I've ever felt on any ride/maze..

It didn't help that we only expected it to be a tour-type thing and a little ride section with a drop. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

*Topic Revival*

I'm pretty sure the last couple of times I've been on Sub-Terra, there have been no water spray effects! I also remember from the first time I went on it in September last year that there would be a speaker directly above your heads, blasting out the Nemesis creature's roar/screams - this wasn't there at all this year! Does this just depend on where you sit...or has the ride really not been itself this year? :huh:

• 7 months later...

It deserves the negativity because it stole the budget off much better dark ride project (I won't elaborate on what this for now but it would have been awesome..), was a nightmare to build, was a disappointment when it opened and is a nightmare to operate daily.